Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Halo Reach Beta Monday 3rd

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

powerhouse has serious problems when it comes to balance between teams. In all gametypes.

Red team spawn right beside rockets and the focus rifle... while blue team are so far away they have no chance in getting to either of them.

And in stockpile the red teams base is completly open up there. The blue team can easily nail it with nades

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Completely agree, noticed the balance issues myself in KOTH, when the hill spawned EVERY ****ING TIME at red base.

And Sword base is a complete bollocks to navigate on CTF without a jetpack.

i find using the jetpack makes you a huge target.. everyone shoots at you...
    i use the sprint one the most. Handy with shotguns/sword/hammer. Also good for getting away from nades...

I love sword base, not so much powerhouse though. Unless i have the focus rifle... man thats an awesome weapon...

I see what you about the JP. I use Bumper jumper, so I've to press X for equipment, and whatever way it is, my hand position just makes it difficult for me to shoot and use the JP at the same time. As well I find the Take Off a little too slow. But having said that, I've seen people use it to perfection.

I myself love stalker, and am nearing perfection with using it, the radar jammer is no longer an inconvenience, I just find it difficult to tell if I'm invisible or not sometimes. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 Quilly

if you change your controls to recon instead of default, it's pretty similar to original halo controls

• Advertisement

I know, but I'm comfortable with bumper jumper. Maybe when the actual game comes out I'll consider changing :)

i use bumper jumper for halo 3, its so much easier to use default in reach especially for activating the abilities... i find that jumping in reach is less necessary than in halo 3...

Using x when flying around with the jet pack means you cant aim properly when flying...

I wish i had more thumbs

I know what you mean.... I'm seriously thinking about changing controls for reach...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Day 2 and my dodgy xbox worked again... got a few games in, i find myself using the stalker config a lot especially in powerhouse, i like to jump down from the higher ledges with it on and sneak the flag away

or just be camo and go up and down on that booster thing, i forget the name for them, don't mind the new controlls at all

This control scheme is what id like... thankfully bungie are onto it and are thinking of adding it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

So on day 1 i managed to get it donwloaded in around 2 hours, played 1 game and then the server trouble nixed any chance i had for more....

Day 2 went better, got about 6 or 7 games, got really bored of playing CTF variants so i decided to play more on day 3 (my day off work)

Day 3, theres a f****n' tiler here doin the bathroom unexpectedly, cant even sit down near the xbox...... grumble :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Well, I have to say, it's AWESOME, teething troubles aside, getting used to the new controls and weapons/ maps and I am loving it!

Reminds me of my glory Halo 2 days (where I clocked up over 3500 games!!) :D

Definitely worth sticking with and loving the Stalker loadout in Slayer, the Magnum is great but not so happy with the Battle rifle or whatever it's called now.

More practise methinks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Downloaded this and played a few games without a hitch, no server issues for me.

However I am CRAP. I'm getting pwned.

Can someone give me a quick run down on what weapons are weaker/stronger from Halo 3. Also, which of the new ones are decent and in what situation.

Game modes. I'm collecting flags and bringing them back to my "base" but still not quite sure how you win!

The maps. Is it just a case of playing them over and over to get to know the best areas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

quarryman wrote: »
    Downloaded this and played a few games without a hitch, no server issues for me.

However I am CRAP. I'm getting pwned.

Can someone give me a quick run down on what weapons are weaker/stronger from Halo 3. Also, which of the new ones are decent and in what situation.

Game modes. I'm collecting flags and bringing them back to my "base" but still not quite sure how you win!

The maps. Is it just a case of playing them over and over to get to know the best areas?

The Assault Rifle, albeit looking a bit different, does about the same amount of damage from Halo 3, although from what I've seen it has a slightly extended range from the Assault Rifle in Halo 3 too.

The Needle Rifle seems to be replacing the Covenant Carbine and is a pretty good single shot rifle to use over range, and it has the same effect as the Needler in that if you rack up enough hits against your target, you'll achieve a supercombine explosion.

The DMR... Well it's a bit of a love/hate relationship for me. I miss the 3 round burst of the Battle Rifle from Halo 2/3 but if used correctly, you can beat somebody out in a 1 on 1 firefight with well aimed shots to the head if someone's coming at you with an Assault Rifle. I think it's a lot harder to use than the Battle Rifle though, but I probably need a lot more practice with it.

I've only picked up the Sniper Rifle once and I didn't really notice any considerable difference between this one and the one from Halo 3, although sniping definitely hasn't gotten any easier with it.

The Needler, Rocket Launcher, Gravity Hammer and Energy Sword remain pretty much unchanged from my use of them.

If you're able to keep a steady aim on a target over range, the Magnum is a deadly weapon to use with its new 2x scope, just like Halo: CE. You can't go mental though firing shot after shot due to the weapon's muzzle climb. If you leave half a second in between shots you should be able to maintain full accuracy. You have to take the clip size into account too(It's 8, I think, somebody might correct me on this) as you have to land pretty much every shot to the head to take someone out in one clip if they're at full health.

The gametype you described in your post is Stockpile. Each team starts off with a base that refreshes every 60 seconds. There are neutral flags scattered around the map and its your job to find these flags and take them back to your home base. Pick up the flag, carry it back and simply drop it inside the designated zone and keep it there. After 60 seconds each, they disappear from your base and how many flags you captured in that 60 seconds are tallied up and added to your team's score. If you want to hinder the enemy team's effort, try stealing flags from their own base or even just taking them and throwing them out while they're away collecting.

I'll get back to you on the maps when I've played them a bit more. I'm not a huge fan of Sword Base but I like Powerhouse.

Hope this helps. :)

Thanks for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Is anyone else having trouble connecting to their friends? I have an open NAT, so does my mate but we cant seem to get a game together.

Also in the little section that shows you the peeps in your friends list i cant see his stats and vice versa...

hah, you can block sword attacks using the melee button too.

Korvanica wrote: »
    hah, you can block sword attacks using the melee button too.
    Ya, still does a ****load of damage though... Glad to see the quick swipe is no longer an instant kill ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Slugs wrote: »
    Ya, still does a ****load of damage though... Glad to see the quick swipe is no longer an instant kill ^^

But if you play as a stalker, and get your hands on a sword, its game over man, game over :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

I forgot how much fun Team Swat was, it just doesn't come up enough :(

• Advertisement

I love the stalker and a needler, its so fun with that! i think thats my fav combo

Im having great success with the stalker loadout anyways... people are starting to learn where the weapons spawn and all the little nooks of the levels, awsome game

I was playing stockpile flags last night and 1:01 mins to go at 9-9 i had the winning flag but missed it in the flag circle thing by 1 second!! game ended 10-10 but gar it was tense!

Starting to get my act together on this and getting poisitive kill/death spread finishing in the top half of the number of kills.

Some games are better than others. I'm generally crap at Stockpile but decent on CTF. I've never played the multiplayer much but completed Halo 3 Solo on Legendary so handy enough with the standard weapons. Once a non-Halo 3 tactic is used such as jet-packs, armorer is used on me I'm generally weak.

Having said that I LOVE the needler rifle. Medium to long distance and I OWN with it :)

Enjoying the game but still reckon I'll drift away eventually. Multiplayer FPS just ain't my thing. I like to relax playing a game and find that the end a round of Reach has me tensed up like a spring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Never played a Halo gamer before. Played 1 game yesterday and turned it off. Absolute rubbish..

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Never played a Halo gamer before. Played 1 game yesterday and turned it off. Absolute rubbish..

don't worry, keep practicing and you'll get there......

Nothing worse than losing 49-50 in slayer it does my head in when a team mates run into trouble!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Did someone teabag you? Do you want to talk about it, remember this is a safe place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Got knifed 5 times in Halo Reach Beta tonight. Didnt know yo could do that. Guys sneak up behind and bam, dead. Getting sick of juggernaut and headhunter, always picked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Did someone teabag you? Do you want to talk about it, remember this is a safe place.

No it was just a combination of the poor graphics, controls and the fact it takes two clips to kills someone. I will give it another go though.

I played a few more games after the initial "yay halo reach" etc...

I am finished with this game.

I know its been said a million times before, but this no longer feels like halo. Fair enough some of the additions are nice, but IMO overall its gone down a few pegs in comparison to halo 3.

Maybe the finished product wont be this bad, i'l consider it if it isn't.

Try Halo 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

dysyaa.gif

Aww poor baby, not able to survive without a noob tube bling maryrdom setup or something, obv :rolleyes:

Advertisement