Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a shop keeper refuse your laser card if its for a small amount?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Magenta wrote: »
    I think you are incorrect here. The shop is private property and they can do as they like as long as they are not breaking any laws. By your logic, if a black person walked in just as a shop was closing, they would *have* to be served or the shop would be at risk of being accused of racism.
    In addition, a shop can bar you if they like- again, it's their private property.

Nope i am not wrong... Sorry

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/travellers-compensated-over-pub-discrimination-272145.html

A shop like a pub has opening hours. If it refuses to sell anything after these hours that is perfectly legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Nope i am not wrong... Sorry

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/travellers-compensated-over-pub-discrimination-272145.html

A shop like a pub has opening hours. If it refuses to sell anything after these hours that is perfectly legal.

The topic is not about travellers in pubs. It's about the use of Laser cards in shops.

The topic is not about travellers in pubs. It's about the use of Laser cards in shops.

Very funny.... The same laws apply thats what I was trying to highlight... In otherwords you cannot refuse to sell something to someone whom you dont like... I was asked the question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭macy9

Very funny.... The same laws apply thats what I was trying to highlight... In otherwords you cannot refuse to sell something to someone whom you dont like... I was asked the question

...so laser card users are now a minority group???

Sorry, but you can't pick and choose the parts of the Equal Status Act that suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I still think the issue here is fairly adademic.

If the transaction is over a certain amount then it is worth it, if it is under the necessary amount then the person more than likely has cash.

It is still going to be a rare enough occurance in the context of all customers.

• Advertisement

So what about shops who do special offers and have a condition of "One per customer"? How do you explain that?
    What about shops who don't sell their display model?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭questioner

vendors can and do frequently exercise there lawful right to choose their customers.

estate agents in particular are known for this. commonly referred to as gazumping.

its a nonsense to suggest a vendor is bound to sell to anyone who expresses an interest.

If a petshop was selling animals do you think they would be bound to sell to everyone who wandered in?

macy9 wrote: »
    ...so laser card users are now a minority group???

Sorry, but you can't pick and choose the parts of the Equal Status Act that suit you.

Your getting very confusing. I am sorry I cannot understand where you are going. I answered the question i do not write the laws.
    So what about shops who do special offers and have a condition of "One per customer"? How do you explain that?
    What about shops who don't sell their display model?

One per customer is not discrimination it is actually ensuring equality... I thought that obvious... Some shops dont sell there display model.... For example how many shops would you imagine sells the display modle of face cream.... again your rational is confusing.... sorry

Your getting very confusing. I am sorry I cannot understand where you are going. I answered the question i do not write the laws.

One per customer is not discrimination it is actually ensuring equality... I thought that obvious... Some shops dont sell there display model.... For example how many shops would you imagine sells the display modle of face cream.... again your rational is confusing.... sorry

I asked because refusing to sell a display model to someone = refusing to sell to someone.
    If you are having trouble with understanding mine and Macy's pretty basic posts, how can you claim to have superior knowledge of what is in parts a pretty complicated law?
    If you know the law as well as you claim, you should be able to answer simple questions on it.

I asked because refusing to sell a display model to someone = refusing to sell to someone.
    If you are having trouble with understanding mine and Macy's pretty basic posts, how can you claim to have superior knowledge of what is in parts a pretty complicated law?
    If you know the law as well as you claim, you should be able to answer simple questions on it.

No it does not refusing to sell a display model to everyone is perfectly fine however if yourself and myself are standing in a shop and a shop keeper refuses to sell an item to me and not to you then the shopkeeper is breaking the law...

I am not having any trouble understanding you i have answered all the questions..Your just not happy with the answer... In fairness that is not my problem

• Advertisement

if yourself and myself are standing in a shop and a shop keeper refuses to sell an item to me and not to you then the shopkeeper is breaking the law...

I am not having any trouble understanding you i have answered all the questions..Your just not happy with the answer... In fairness that is not my problem

You're going off on your discrimination-and-equality tangent again...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

No it does not refusing to sell a display model to everyone is perfectly fine however if yourself and myself are standing in a shop and a shop keeper refuses to sell an item to me and not to you then the shopkeeper is breaking the law...

I'd find your claim more convincing if you cited the law that is broken.

I am talking about the Sale Of Goods Act. I think Joey is possibly thinking of some obscure ethnic equality act that he heard about from a mate in the pub the other week.

You're going off on your discrimination-and-equality tangent again...

I got your original post which you editited. Its obvious your just trying to wind me up and I am not takeing part in that... If your unhappy with the law you need to become familular with it and I am not the teacher

What you find it hard to follow the thread... Is it not obvious... I did not bring up the display model arguement. I simply answered a question on it... If your not happy with my claim I am not interested in discussing the obvious tbh.
    I am talking about the Sale Of Goods Act. I think Joey is possibly thinking of some obscure ethnic equality act that he heard about from a mate in the pub the other week.

Actually your not. The sale of goods and supply of services act has no bearing on what your discussing. The orig question I answered related to a claim that a shop keeper can refuse to serve you. I explained that a shop keeper CANNOT refuse to serve you without the valid reasons I listed.

btw... Trying to annouce to everyone that I dont know what i am talking about when I have actually answered the question is just plain daft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Actually your not. The sale of goods and supply of services act has no bearing on what your discussing. The orig question I answered related to a claim that a shop keeper can refuse to serve you. I explained that a shop keeper CANNOT refuse to serve you without the valid reasons I listed.

Ever heard of "invitation to treat"?? A pricetag in a shop does not constitute a contract of sale, thus a shopkeeper is not invalidating a contract by refusing to sell to someone because they dont like them or whatever other reason.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Ever heard of "invitation to treat"?? A pricetag in a shop does not constitute a contract of sale, thus a shopkeeper is not invalidating a contract by refusing to sell to someone because they dont like them or whatever other reason.

Yes i did and I did not say that. You are reading one post and assuming you know the whole thread. again I will actually answer that. A shop keeper cannot refuse to sell without a valid reason. Its a valid reson that the shop keeper is not happy with the display price. I answered that.

There is NO CONTRACT LAW at play here. If a shop keeper refuses to sell to you alone without a valid reason the shop keeper can be done for discrimination. If its a publician he will loose his licence.

This is all basic stuff and obvious. If the thread is followed I am actually answering the same question 2 and 3 times.... Why do I care? I dont really... If your happy to accept refusal without a reason see if I care to defend you... That is all I am trying to help you with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... What you find it hard to follow the thread... Is it not obvious... I did not bring up the display model arguement. I simply answered a question on it... If your not happy with my claim I am not interested in discussing the obvious tbh...

This is a consumer issues forum. You have made a claim about the rights of shopkeepers in relation to consumers, and now you refuse to back up that claim. That is hardly in keeping with the spirit of this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

P. Breathnach - Please leave the moderating to the moderators.

TBH, I think this thread has run its course as it is now going off-topic. Thread closed.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement