Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal Doors

• 28-04-2010 9:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have an idea what would be a fair price to expect to pay a carpenter to hang eight internal non solid doors? (replacing existing flush doors).

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

Does anyone have an idea what would be a fair price to expect to pay a carpenter to hang eight internal non solid doors? (replacing existing flush doors).

-

350 - 400 max

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Hi
    400 Is about right are the frames in good condition

• Registered Users Posts: 6,764 ✭✭✭SteM

Don't want to hijack the thread but I was going to post a similar question. We're looking at getting 2 single doors and a double door replaced downstairs but the frame around all of them is wrecked from a previous owner. Is the frame easy enough to fit for a carpenter or is it a big job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

SteM wrote: »
    Don't want to hijack the thread but I was going to post a similar question. We're looking at getting 2 single doors and a double door replaced downstairs but the frame around all of them is wrecked from a previous owner. Is the frame easy enough to fit for a carpenter or is it a big job?

Hi
    Its an easy enough job the thing to watch is doing no damage to the walls when removing/refitting the new frames if it is done right you should have no work to do after only paint/varnish the new door set

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

What would be the general going rate to hang new solid doors, frames and architrave? Single doors 6'8 x 2'8 pine doors? Per door?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Carpenter wrote: »
    Hi
    400 Is about right are the frames in good condition

Yes the frames are fine. But now that you mention it? What would be the charge to remove\replace a frame?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

What would be the general going rate to hang new solid doors, frames and architrave? Single doors 6'8 x 2'8 pine doors? Per door?

80 euro max per pine door ,frame and acrhitrave

Yes the frames are fine. But now that you mention it? What would be the charge to remove\replace a frame?

-

an extra 40 quid or so

What would you guys expect to pay to get 11 6 panel doors, 3 doors with glass, a set of double doors, new frames, hinges, locks, handles, architrave, and 190m of skirting fitted? All red deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭saltandpepper10

it sounds like about a weeks work [5 days ] so 1000 euros i would charge in the current climate,you wouldnt be under too much pressure for 5 days,also this is after tax what ever the customer wants to work it

• Advertisement

Ya i was thinking about 1200 before tax myself. Do you think that would be too much to ask for?

i do most of my work in dublin or near to dublin,so this price would be very competitive not so sure about further down the country.i personaly would not work for less, remember g d we get no holiday money no pensions we need to get half decent money when we are working and this is decent value for the homeowner

What would you guys expect to pay to get 11 6 panel doors, 3 doors with glass, a set of double doors, new frames, hinges, locks, handles, architrave, and 190m of skirting fitted? All red deal.

a grand is a good price for all that work

Ok thanks lads! I have never priced a job like this for anyone before. I didn't want to over price it or under price it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭macaronicheese

it sounds like about a weeks work [5 days ] so 1000 euros i would charge in the current climate,you wouldnt be under too much pressure for 5 days,also this is after tax what ever the customer wants to work it
    Who do you think you are ?
    thats a rip off , your only a general operative who works with wood, rough dirty work
    You should be happy with 500 a week, you collect the dole too
    anyone who pays that cash to the likes of you is a fool
    buy some dye for your head.

And who are you? How do you know who gets the dole on here? What are you the dole inspector? Sorry but I find your post most offensive. What is dirty about working with wood? How do you know who is qualified or knows perfectly well what they are doing and does it day in and day out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭macaronicheese

It doesn't matter if the tradesperson is qualified or not ,all it takes is a fas apprenticeship.
    The point is these pretentious people make out they are doing a favour charging only 1000 euro, for what farting around some persons house drinking tea working at their own pace , pretending the job they are doing is very difficult , when in reality it only involves a bit of skill.
    Bottom line is 500 cash in hand is more than enough for work like that.

And who are you? How do you know who gets the dole on here? What are you the dole inspector? Sorry but I find your post most offensive. What is dirty about working with wood? How do you know who is qualified or knows perfectly well what they are doing and does it day in and day out?
    i wouldnt rise to him GD i think hes only looking for a reaction

There's only two reasons you would want\need to hire a tradesman that I can think of,

1. Because you can't do the job yourself?

2. You don't have the time but do have the cash?

At the end of the day you have to respect anyone with skills you don't possess yourself and I never had any issue with paying somebody a fair price to do something for me that I couldn't do myself.

Each to their own I say, Anyone with a skill has spent time acquiring it & that should always be respected.

-

Ya that is true s&p he is only looking for a reaction. That is so true what you have said gadgetman496. I wouldn't take on any electrical work because I dont know what I am doing and I have no training in it either. Just like fitting doors an electrican wouldn't do it because he or she is not trained to that either.

• Advertisement

Slightly off topic but still door related,

If anyone is familiar with the B&Q Tolka 6 panel primed molded white doors?

Would an undercoat & one finish coat be enough to get them presentable?

-

It doesn't matter if the tradesperson is qualified or not ,all it takes is a fas apprenticeship.
    The point is these pretentious people make out they are doing a favour charging only 1000 euro, for what farting around some persons house drinking tea working at their own pace , pretending the job they are doing is very difficult , when in reality it only involves a bit of skill.

the neck of ya
    you should get back into your box and not be going around trolling threads
    carpenters are finding it hard enough to survive in the current climate
    would you like us to work for free?

Slightly off topic but still door related,

If anyone is familiar with the B&Q Tolka 6 panel primed molded white doors?

Would an undercoat & one finish coat be enough to get them presentable?

-

first id be checking the width of the b+q doors ,alot of them are only 39 mm thick or so and would not be of great quality ,they re fairly flimsy

and if they primed already ,i dont see why an undercoat and a finsh wouldn be enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

The point is these pretentious people make out they are doing a favour charging only 1000 euro, for what farting around some persons house drinking tea working at their own pace ,
    Bottom line is 500 cash in hand is more than enough for work like that.[/QUOTE]

To install 16 frames, doors, hardware, architrave, and 190mt skirting not much short of complete 2nd fix.
    hardly what you would call "farting about drinking tea".

plenty of bang for your buck.......

The point is these pretentious people make out they are doing a favour charging only 1000 euro, for what farting around some persons house drinking tea working at their own pace ,

To install 16 frames, doors, hardware, architrave, and 190mt skirting not much short of complete 2nd fix.
    hardly what you would call "farting about drinking tea".

plenty of bang for your buck.......[/QUOTE]
    it would actually be a very good price martin,your mans post made my day,read some of his other posts to get a flavour of what he is like,suffice to say i think its a lot of money to him,i might buy him a drink if we ever meet,gave me and my lowlife builder friends a laugh anyways ta

Ya he is a complete troll and should be banned of this website!

endasmail wrote: »
    first id be checking the width of the b+q doors ,alot of them are only 39 mm thick or so and would not be of great quality ,they re fairly flimsy

and if they primed already ,i dont see why an undercoat and a finsh wouldn be enough
    These are the doors I got and they're 44mm thick.

tolka6panelmoldedprimed.jpg

B&Q Door

I know they are not solid but they don't seem too flimsy to me to be honest.

I was going to go with solid doors & could have got them for Approx double the total price of the molded ones but was swayed for two reasons.

1. I want white doors & thought it a shame to buy solid oak doors only to paint them white, plus, all my existing flush doors have two butt hinges & I'd imagine the carpenter would need to put three on each solid door? adding a little extra work & extra cost?

2. I have no small kids to kick holes in them :D

Without doubt, if I was going for varnish or stain I'd have gone for the solid door.

It's kind of ironic to think that the cheapest part of changing out the doors is the actual cost of the doors themselves? The hardware is very pricey followed by the labour & then the painting.

The white molded doors were €30 in B&Q & the Door Depot had nice looking solid doors on offer @ €59 Ea. normally €89.99. At least I think they were solid.

-

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Attention passengers, due to recent ash cloud disruption your friendly DIY mod has been stuck in Paris a little bit longer than expected. Having now returned, macaronicheese is banned for 7 days for trolling. We hope you have a happy onward journey, slan agus beannacht.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

delly wrote: »
    Attention passengers, due to recent ash cloud disruption your friendly DIY mod has been stuck in Paris a little bit longer than expected. Having now returned, macaronicheese is banned for 7 days for trolling. We hope you have a happy onward journey, slan agus beannacht.

That lad was more than offensive. I would like to see him banned of DIY altogether. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

endasmail wrote: »
    the neck of ya
    you should get back into your box and not be going around trolling threads
    carpenters are finding it hard enough to survive in the current climate
    would you like us to work for free?
    Agreed, Id be surprised if this lad ever did a days work in his life... sounds like a scratcher to me. A grand to do all that work. That is a brilliant price. Just a question macncheese. How much do you get paid an hour and how hard do ye work for it coz a fas course involves working for nothing for four years, getting a third level education and taking sh1t of employers. "its just a four year Fas course" Your a cowboy. Now go and do something productive with your lonely self and stop trolling:mad:

Advertisement