Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animated advertising.

Options
  • 28-04-2010 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭

The one in the bottom right.

There is one at the moment with some retard waving at you trying to catch your attention. Its insanely annoying when trying to read threads.
    I was never one to Adblock boards and have subscribed before so dont mind trying to keep boards with ad funds but is it possible to ditch the animated ones? Its worse than animated sigs, and at least those are banned.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

THats an old thread based around out of country advertising, this one is purely about the new flash ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Jumpy wrote: »
    THats an old thread based around out of country advertising, this one is purely about the new flash ads.

It's about the new flash ads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yes the annoying smug waving git and when you click through tells you that if you are such a shut in who uses the internet to much and have forgotten how to he'll invite your mates out for a pint, you just have to hand over thier email addresses.
    It's condescending drivel as well as being very ****ing distracting trying to replay to a thread and he's right beside the quick reply waving, I swear the urge to punch his head in while trying to reply to a thread in PI about miscarriage was unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

*Waves frantically at everyone in this thread*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Have to join in here - it's UBER annoying when replying to threads, you can't even scroll so you can't see him when typing, you still get enough of it to catch your eye.
    I'm a fan of Harry Potter n all that, but even their animated photos take a nap.

This one is VERY annoying.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Yes the annoying smug waving git and when you click through tells you that if you are such a shut in who uses the internet to much .

Remind me to organise a huge beers and make sure not to bring it to a pub represented by them but let them know. Shut ins indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Anyone touches the Box Rok Guy and they will be dealing with me :mad:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I genuinely don't udnerstand why you don't just use adblock and save yourself the hassle of creating threads on this kind of thing. Correct me if I'm wrong but Boards.ie doesn't lose out on any revenue if you choose not to display the ads in your browser, right?

I think they do.

• Advertisement

It's not on a pay-per-click basis? In that case, just block the really irritating ones and leave the rest, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's not on a pay-per-click basis? In that case, just block the really irritating ones and leave the rest, no?

Unfortunately rather than having a link like

http://advertiser.com/ads/annoyingad.gif

They usually have something more generic like

http://advertiser.com/ads/ads.php?ad=354g5ed4h5fd4h35djg4j321hj32g1h3jk5gh7i4k6ty546ui

Where the ad string changes every time. So you can't really just block one.

Chrome Adblock actually blocks based on Frame location.

Any advertiser that tries to foist even one of those things on site users deserves to be domain-blocked, IMO, but I see that things are not as straightforward as I first thought.

I wonder what the revenue per user viewing an average of fifty pages a day would work out at. I'd rather just hand cash directly to boards though, if it turns out I am actually costing the site money by using it while blocking ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I genuinely don't udnerstand why you don't just use adblock and save yourself the hassle of creating threads on this kind of thing. Correct me if I'm wrong but Boards.ie doesn't lose out on any revenue if you choose not to display the ads in your browser, right?
    Consider yourself corrected - we do indeed lose out if people adblock banners.
    We don't use Pay-Per-Click. Our banners are based on CPM - Cost Per Mille - basically we earn based on the number of times we present an ad on a page and an advertiser will buy this by the thousand.

As for the "Get Out More" banner, it's not my personal cup of tea I'll admit - I've mentioned this to our sales team. Let me chase it up with them and see if we can do something about it.

Dav

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I genuinely don't udnerstand why you don't just use adblock and save yourself the hassle of creating threads on this kind of thing.
    Careful now, I've been sitebanned for speaking such sweet-nothings.

But seriously disabling adblock on boards is the cheapest way to give back.

Dav wrote: »
    Consider yourself corrected - we do indeed lose out if people adblock banners.
    We don't use Pay-Per-Click. Our banners are based on CPM - Cost Per Mille - basically we earn based on the number of times we present an ad on a page and an advertiser will buy this by the thousand.

As for the "Get Out More" banner, it's not my personal cup of tea I'll admit - I've mentioned this to our sales team. Let me chase it up with them and see if we can do something about it.

Dav

The side effect of that banner will be people adblocking boards, so you may lose more in the long run than if you were to hand back the revenue that you gained from the advertising. Sales people may argue that the company has already paid.

Overheal wrote: »
    Careful now, I've been sitebanned for speaking such sweet-nothings.

But seriously disabling adblock on boards is the cheapest way to give back.

I'd honestly not be able to use the site with ads switched on. I could run a spider in Internet explorer, reduced to the taskbar to pull up all the ads you want though.

If I knew of the existence of such a thing.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You could subscribe and then we offer the option to turn off all ads, permanently....

We dont like pushy ads, but we do charge the advertisers for exposure because we believe that there is more value in our advertising then just clicks... there is publicity/branding too. Only with Google ads do you have to click for us to get something.

I havent seen this ad yet myself...

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    You could subscribe and then we offer the option to turn off all ads, permanently....

I'm genuinely considering subscribing for the first time, despite being flat broke this month but more out of a sense of giving back than for any benefits it would give (I don't think subscribing would give me anything useful).

How much is it again? 50 quid or so?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

We dont like pushy ads, but we do charge the advertisers for exposure because we believe that there is more value in our advertising then just clicks... there is publicity/branding too. Only with Google ads do you have to click for us to get something.

DeV.

I think the reason people are upset is less the ad is pushy and more the ad kinda says "you're a lonely shut in here on the web, why don't you go back to the real world" type of thing.

Not a very well thought out ad imo, but that's not boards fault.

DeV.
    If I catch it I'll upload an html pack again but it may be irish-specific this time.
    I think the reason people are upset is less the ad is pushy and more the ad kinda says "you're a lonely shut in here on the web, why don't you go back to the real world" type of thing.

Not a very well thought out ad imo, but that's not boards fault.
    Basically, putting any sort of flash ad though down by the Quick-Reply box is incredibly distracting though. I understand advertising-wise thats a very lucrative space but its also rife to abuse.

It's not a banner, it's a flash add in the bottom of a page, seen it again in PI while trying read a post for pre aproval. If it was at the top of the page I could scroll past it but not where it's currently rendered in the 2 inch by 2 inch square beside the breadcrumbs.

I don't block ads on this site, it's the least I can do given the over heads and running cost but that one is very instrusive and has had me considering it.

4560862864_211d2e762e_o.jpg

Can anyone calculate a ballpark figure of how much revenue I would generate in a month if I enabled adds, based on my average page views (I don't know if this is viewable)? Or even a rough estimage for a user with a similar postcount/rate?

If it's higher than the cost of subscription, I pledge to subscribe for a year.

I don't think your going to get those numbers :)

Probably not, but I am now really curious to know how online advertising works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

After Hours is the most viewed forum, correct?

Or is it Bargain Alerts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Can anyone calculate a ballpark figure of how much revenue I would generate in a month if I enabled adds, based on my average page views (I don't know if this is viewable)? Or even a rough estimage for a user with a similar postcount/rate?

If it's higher than the cost of subscription, I pledge to subscribe for a year.

It's exceptionally difficult to calculate that figure for any given user. The best I could do would be to calculate it for the average user, but I doubt your figures bear any resemblance to the average user. :)

Probably not, but I am now really curious to know how online advertising works.
    Depends on the advertiser in my understanding. As DeV already alluded to, Google Adsense only counts clicks. Also from my limited understand that would be sold as a package to google for example, $xx.xx for 500 clicks, etc. and once those clicks expired, google pays again or disappears from the site.

http://www.adratesonline.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_advertising

Larger flash ads I would think go by impressions as well as clicks. We did a facebook ad here at the shop for a month or two that cost us like $15 for 500 impressions or something - we limited it to 500/wk or it wouldve cost us ridiculous sums of money. And we could specify what zip code/IP region to apply those to. But that was basically google adsense. I could not begin to even stab a ballpark at what price point flash ads run at or how the .ie market even functions; or how volume of traffic and diminishing returns/economies of scale plays into it. Whether its similar or considerably more or less. Either way, the Vast Majority of flash ads are unobtrusive and im happy to let them ride as long as they arent disruptive to me. This wavy fcuker is one of the few exceptions to the rule; not that ive seen him.

tl;dr, no way to be sure :)

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'd imagine that was 15 for 5000 ad impressions?! otherwise.... jeez... um, fancy some advertising? We do cheap rates? :)

You can work it out for yourselves, ad revenue runs anywhere between 1 and 5 euro per 1000 ads shown. Community websites tend to be at the lower end of that scale as there is a lot of "churn" of the same user. Advertisers like more, different users... its called "reach". So, we do a million pages a day, we get somewhere between 1k and 5k a day?! whoot... nice little earner. Right? Wrong.

Firstly, google ads pay when someone clicks them. No one clicks them.

Secondly we have 30M page impressions a month. Its just not possible to sell more then say, 10-20% of that a month. There just isnt the people/companies to buy it. Most online companies are happy if they sell 15% of their inventory. Ecstatic in this environment.

This isnt states secret stuff, any ad agency will tell you something similar.

DeV.

Advertisement