Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strongest cartrige for 12 gr shotgun

Options
  • 28-04-2010 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

hi all just wanted to no whats the strongest cartrige for a 12 gr shotgun that you can get in gunshops here in ireland?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

Depends what you mean by 'strongest'.... shot size, powder weight, cartridge length etc?

From a knockdown power point of view I tend to use 11/0, 3 inch buckshot to hit foxes out to 50 or 60 yards with a full choke. Really takes em down, no messing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Anto...

what does 11/0 mean im new to shotguns! do them 3 inch buckshots fit 12 gr guns? what are the cartriges called?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Anto... wrote: »
    what does 11/0 mean im new to shotguns! do them 3 inch buckshots fit 12 gr guns? what are the cartriges called?

if you are new to shotguns, there's no need for you to be worried about buckshot. there is feck all in the country to shoot with them:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Jonty wrote: »
    if you are new to shotguns, there's no need for you to be worried about buckshot. there is feck all in the country to shoot with them:D

What are you intending shooting Anto??

there is feck all in the country to shoot with them:D

Ahem...... Charlie certainly don't like them ;)

OP, 11/0 refers to the shot size, in this case the shell contains nine, 8.3mm size pellets.

But, as a previous poster said, what are you intending to shoot? Shot and cartridge size really depends on what quarry you're after (also, remember that buckshot and the likes costs a bomb load more than most other cartridges!).

• Advertisement

foxes! will bb's do fine? how many yards will it knock a fox? are 3 inch magnumms good for foxes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

foxes! will bb's do fine? how many yards will it knock a fox? are 3 inch magnumms good for foxes

yes BBs are fine and 3inch magnums.
    I suppose max effective range on a fox sized Target is 60yards IMHO
    Not an exact science depends on chokes and where you hit the fox etc

I would prefer a rifle on a fox TBH.

BB should do fine IMO; any large enough size shot will knock Mr. Fox out at 30 yards + with the right choke. My personal preference is for the 11/0 at 50 - 60 yards because it leaves nothing to chance; just knocks em out clean. Keep in mind I use a super-full 'turkey' choke that I find really suits that particular load.

Edit: as Tackleberry said, a rifle is the best all round for foxes tbh!

Do you know about shot sizes and numbers at all? Here's a handy chart to help.

59793.jpg

i dont no much bout shot sizes! ive shot with the 3'' magnumms, bbs and AAA i find the 3'' mag and AAA are strong shots thats all i know really! any advice is appreciated
    thanks

Also, in case you're wondering, 11/0 is just the Italian name for 00 Buckshot. No idea why Remington went with an Italian name on their shells, but it doesnt matter really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Ahem...... Charlie certainly don't like them ;)

OP, 11/0 refers to the shot size, in this case the shell contains nine, 8.3mm size pellets.

But, as a previous poster said, what are you intending to shoot? Shot and cartridge size really depends on what quarry you're after (also, remember that buckshot and the likes costs a bomb load more than most other cartridges!).

Do you not find that 00 buck shot has a low pattern density?

Do you not find that 00 buck shot has a low pattern density?

Not with a turkey choke ;) That said, I certainly wouldnt take it beyond 50 or 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Strongest I have is some Remington 3.5"super magnum stuff in BB.
    I have had trouble getting 3.5" stuff lately, all that seems to be available is 3"
    12g 3.5" is about the same as a 10g in payload.
    You won't shoot too many rounds off before your shoulder starts to complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

are 3 inch magnumms good for foxes
    Now THAT'S a cue line for a very old joke... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

A point not mentioned in the above is that 12g shotguns are chambered for several different lengths of cartridge and are proofed for different chamber pressures. The OP may not be aware that the cartridges he uses must be matched to the chamber of the gun he uses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

in a normal 70mm chambered gun an once and a half of no3 or no1 lead shot from a full choke barrell will be plenty for mr fox, imho
    it's about kinetic energy vrs pattern /pellet count that matter bbs aaas and buckshot are fine but if you draw a fox on a sheet of card or steel go back 50yrds and let fly you'd be astonished at the holes in the pattern with those loads we did it years ago:eek: i forget the exact details but you have approx 3x the number of pellets in an ounce of no 3 shot as opposed to bb and they have more than enough umph to do the job

http://www.shotgunworld.com/amm.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Foxer101

one of my mates purchased a pack of 1oz slugs a few months ago..
    need a good backstop though and would'nt dare use it on anything smaller then charlie:O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

are 3 inch magnumms good for foxes

This reminded me of when I started shooting,
    I went to the local hardware/gun dealers shop,
    and was looking at the cartridges he had on display.

I picked up a box and asked him,
    are these any good for duck's?

He looked me in the eye and said,
    Only if you hit them!

Dvs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

eley alphamax magnum 42gm bb's, plenty of knockdown power

Advertisement