Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tall Ships

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

YES YES YES!!! I would highly recommend doing it!!
    I was in the tall ships last year on a Dutch ship called Astrid and sailed from Gdynia in Poland to St. Petersburg and then to Helsinki!! It was amazing!!
    I also sailed twice on Asgard 2 before she sank and again that was an amazing trip!!

If you want to ask me anything about it fire away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 reveilleur

Hi OP,
    I sailed on the Asgard 2 during the first leg of the Tall Ships Race 2008. Race started in Liverpool, three days of festivities. Brilliant atmosphere. Felt like a celebrity as everyone comes around to look at the ships. Plenty of activities organised for all the crew. Got to meet plenty of other crew from the different ships from all over the world. Then sailed up to Greencastle in NI where the race started. Spent a full week sailing through the North Sea. It was a tough week of basically, eat sleep sail but every bit of it was so enjoyable. Then arrived in Norway and it was great to reach land and have a proper shower after so long. Again, treated like royalty as we arrived. More festivites in Maloy, Norway. Here we changed crew so that another set of people could do the cruise-in-company and the 2nd leg of the race.
    One of the most amazing and unforgettable experiences of my life. Pm me for more details.

Best of luck with it.

This site might help www.sailtrainingorganisation.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jld22

Hello! I sailed on the german ship the Alexander Von Humbolt in the summer of 2005 from Waterford to Cherbourg. It was by far the best experience I have ever had. It took a week to sail to Cherbourg which was filled with great sailing experience, meeting lovely people and just all around such fun, upon arriving in Cherbourg there was a huge festival and parties for all the crew on the ships.

I didn't have much sailing experience before so don't let that stop you. The total fee was €1000 which included everything and was well worth it. Is anyone considering doing the programme when the tall ships come to Waterford next summer 2011?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Ultimately, it is a personal judgment as to whether or not it is worth it. You can only find out by doing it !

I did a few thousand miles on Asgard II and the experiences were well worth it beyond any financial measure.

I know of absolutely nobody who did the TALL SHIPS and failed to like it.

Go for it. Well worth it IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

jld22 wrote: »
    Hello! I sailed on the german ship the Alexander Von Humbolt in the summer of 2005 from Waterford to Cherbourg

Thats a lovely boat, I was at a party on her in Russia last summer! Looks amazing under sail 2 with the green sails! Do you know they are retireing(sp?) her and building a new one?? Heard she would be made into a museum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭icedtea

Might try it out myself......

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭icedtea

I've registered my interest on that site, has anyone else?

Advertisement