Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's First Trad Tattoo & World Culture Festival

Options
  • 28-04-2010 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I've already posted this in the Tattoos and piercings forum but thought it might have been of interest to some of the people here too.

Tattoo fest in Cobh. Music and burlesque shows too. Sounds pretty cool imo. Delighted something like this has finally come to Ireland, not to mind Cork! :)

http://www.originalskin.ie/festival

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

That could be quite interesting. They've changed the weblink, the updated link is here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

Thanks for that Mudokon. Will defo be getting a ticket. Went to the tattoo conv in Middleton last year but it was a bit of a let down. Quite small and the queues for the artists were so long. Looking forward to the one in Cobh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

NoDice wrote: »
    Thanks for that Mudokon. Will defo be getting a ticket. Went to the tattoo conv in Middleton last year but it was a bit of a let down. Quite small and the queues for the artists were so long. Looking forward to the one in Cobh!
    I have two tattoos and got them both done at the midleton fair, by the same guy. Although never went last year, I had to book a time with him the year before so ended up going down the sat and sun.
    Id say it could be the same at the Cobh one seeing as most tattoos take maybe an hour. I was surprised to see camping tickets though! Will definitely check this out, am looking to get a back piece.

Cadyboo wrote: »
    I have two tattoos and got them both done at the midleton fair, by the same guy. Although never went last year, I had to book a time with him the year before so ended up going down the sat and sun.
    Id say it could be the same at the Cobh one seeing as most tattoos take maybe an hour. I was surprised to see camping tickets though! Will definitely check this out, am looking to get a back piece.

Cool, I really would have loved to have gotten a tat done by Ross Daly. Watched him do a few and they looked awesome but didn't think of booking ahead. Silly me as always!

Ya the camping I'd say would also be good, in fairness it'd have to be a nice enough crowd, I'd say it'd be pretty laid back. I doubt I'll do that though. Train up and down. Sorted!

What were you thinking of getting a back piece of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭save_our_socks

Same here, tried to get a foot piece done by Ross and he tried to squeeze me in but the sleeve he was doing took a bit longer than expected. Hes a fantastic artist my mum has one of his designs but he wasnt allowed tattoo as he was still in training so John did it instead, still turned out amazing though and looks fantastic nearly 7/8 years on.

Really want to go to this but really cant get anymore tattoos while Im teacher training, damn stigmas!

• Advertisement

What were you thinking of getting a back piece of?

Not too sure yet, have flowers at end of my back and thinking of extending up either on the spine or at the side. I only really like black n grey though, love colours on other people though, ha.
    Might get the weekend pass if I get people to come with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Typical!! All the cool things happens when I won't be around >.<

It looks like it will be amazing!

Not too sure yet, have flowers at end of my back and thinking of extending up either on the spine or at the side. I only really like black n grey though, love colours on other people though, ha.
    Might get the weekend pass if I get people to come with me!

Cool. I went to get a tattoo done (hungarian fella in ballincollig) and asked for a floral design starting on my hip and going right up my side just past my ribs. He said he didn't want to do it cause I was so petite and said I'd ruin my body. :eek: So I got a smallish design across my hip instead. Also have another two but they're not as exciting. :cool:

Really want to go to this but really cant get anymore tattoos while Im teacher training, damn stigmas!

Tattoo's are so common place now that you would think that the stigma attached to them is long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

mudokon wrote: »
    Tattoo's are so common place now that you would think that the stigma attached to them is long gone.

You would think that but unfortunately no -.-

Live in New Zealand and you will be grand! Never seen soo many tattooed folk :D

• Advertisement

Ya unfortunately no.. :( I even wear long sleeved tops to my OH's parent's house so they don't see mine! :o

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    You would think that but unfortunately no -.-

Live in New Zealand and you will be grand! Never seen soo many tattooed folk :D

All the sunshine over there probably helps with all the tattoo's on display.
    Ya unfortunately no.. :( I even wear long sleeved tops to my OH's parent's house so they don't see mine! :o

Do they know you have tattoo's? How long have you known them?

Cool. I went to get a tattoo done (hungarian fella in ballincollig) and asked for a floral design starting on my hip and going right up my side just past my ribs. He said he didn't want to do it cause I was so petite and said I'd ruin my body. :eek: So I got a smallish design across my hip instead. Also have another two but they're not as exciting. :cool:

That would have annoyed me. Do you regret not getting it done the way you wanted?

I remember an evening in a gym in Galway, there was about 7 or 8 of us in the weights area, I was the only person without a tattoo :eek:
    Don't think I'd ever get one, hard to improve on perfection really :D

Do they know you have tattoo's? How long have you known them?

I think they know about the one on my arm cause I always roll up my sleeves if I'm not in a t-shirt.. But they haven't seen the others yet. Known them about a year now I guess, I don't think they'd really mind tbh I just don't want to do anything to make his mother think that he should leave me. :o:rolleyes::)
    That would have annoyed me. Do you regret not getting it done the way you wanted?

Yes and no. I love what he did in the end, beautiful carnation type flower with a few leaves and a thistle coming off one side of it. Black and grey as that's what I like but he put a bit of dark red/wine colour through the petals and used a bit of white to highlight everything. Looks so pretty imo. Plus the only bit you see when I've pants on is the thistle popping up over the belt line. :) I'd get a pic but as I've explained on here before I don't have a laptop at home, just bb for the xbox.

However I would just love a really big rib piece done. :rolleyes:

RoverJames wrote: »
    I remember an evening in a gym in Galway, there was about 7 or 8 of us in the weights area, I was the only person without a tattoo :eek:
    Don't think I'd ever get one, hard to improve on perfection really :D

My OH is the same. He doesn't hate tattoos he just wouldn't ever get one himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

well i really would love to get some done but the places i would want to get them, everyone would be able to see. and i definately can't have any being a nurse... i would never get a job!

Yes and no. I love what he did in the end, beautiful carnation type flower with a few leaves and a thistle coming off one side of it. Black and grey as that's what I like but he put a bit of dark red/wine colour through the petals and used a bit of white to highlight everything. Looks so pretty imo. Plus the only bit you see when I've pants on is the thistle popping up over the belt line. :) I'd get a pic but as I've explained on here before I don't have a laptop at home, just bb for the xbox.

However I would just love a really big rib piece done. :rolleyes:

Sounds really nice, my foot has white highlights too, really nice. Cant stop looking up pics of tattoos to decide what to do. Said to one of my friends what I wanted and she said, 'if you get up your back done, what if you want a backless wedding dress someday'.
    I was like 'its one day, and if its too much Ill get a dress with a back'.
    I swear people think waaay too much about these things :p

Sounds really nice, my foot has white highlights too, really nice. Cant stop looking up pics of tattoos to decide what to do. Said to one of my friends what I wanted and she said, 'if you get up your back done, what if you want a backless wedding dress someday'.
    I was like 'its one day, and if its too much Ill get a dress with a back'.
    I swear people think waaay too much about these things :p

Tbh I think a little tat on show with a wedding dress would be kinda cool. :D

Ya however the one thing I think about regarding tattoos is what'll happen to them when I want to have a child. Won't get one near my stomach in case of stretching and so on.
    I'd have loved one just under the belt line on my lower stomach to the side but would be afraid of what it would look like after labour. :)

Why don't you go to like a custom tattoo designer or get an artistic friend to draw one up? That way it's unique and you can really try and get your point across with what you'd like to get done. My opinion anyway!

My next one I would love two open winged sparrows just on my rib cage nearer my side. Small enough too. Will get it done once I've money! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Well how much skin are you showing while teaching anyway? Surely you could cover it up when you need to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭oranjeboom

Phil Cummins, best in the business. He is also organising this festival. I for one will be defo going. Also the setting for the festival is so fantastic.

He has hand drawn two of my 8 tattoos and hand drew by hubbies full sleve.

He is amazing.

oranjeboom wrote: »
    Phil Cummins, best in the business. He is also organising this festival. I for one will be defo going. Also the setting for the festival is so fantastic.

He has hand drawn two of my 8 tattoos and hand drew by hubbies full sleve.

He is amazing.

Sounds good, what style does he do? Do you know how to pre book an appointment for the fest by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭oranjeboom

Sounds good, what style does he do? Do you know how to pre book an appointment for the fest by any chance?

He does anything really, as long as he likes it himself, he wont but his name to anything that is kack. He did a fab Celtic cross for me but his free hand Polynesian is the best. Its now known as Philynesian lol.

I was out at the venue today and its a buzz with movement. The tents and teepees look brill.

Roll on Saturday I cant wait I'm so excited.

Phil is not taking apts on the weekend cos he is up the walls with organising, but you can make an appointment with him for another time. He does B&B at his studio as well, he has a fab log cabin on his property.

I will be there roaming around with a turquoise Philynesian on my right lower leg, tribal on the back of my left lower leg, two on each upper arm so, say hello if you see me.

Advertisement