Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Hens won't eat layers pellets

Options
  • 28-04-2010 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

Have 3 hens 4 days now and they still won't eat the layers pellets. I have soaked a handfull in hot water and made it into a mash for them which they seemed to love.

Is that ok does anyone know or should I leave them until they are hungry enough to eat the pelletts?

Was afraid they would starve so had to do something after 4 days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Bearpup

Hi There,

We had the same problem when we got our hens, they weren't interest in the pellets so we got a bag of layers mash... gave that to them for a few days and then mixed pellets and mash together.... gradually give less and less mash til we were just giving them pellets!

If they are roaming all around the garden all day eating bits n peices they mightnt be too hungry anyway...

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Thanks for you help.

Is it ok to feed the pelletts as a mash for a while and also give some dry weaning them off the mash?

They are not roaming the garden yet as only have them a few days and was advised not to let them out of the run until they had setteled in.

Yea I would say thats fine too... as you said, if they are hungry enough they'll eat the pellets.

We let our hens out after a day or two and they were great... went into the coup themselves in the evening without a bother... once they knew they were getting fed in there! I would say you be ok to let them out now :)

Should I give them mash in the morning and evening or should I feed pellets in the morinng and mash in the evening?

What would you advise?

Or maybe a bit of both morning and evening?

Kinda new this myself to so not so sure... have had hens & ducks for the past 5 months or so... I only feed them in the evening time as they are out and about all day scratching around the garden...

I would maybe just mix a bit of both together gradually phasing out the mash....

• Advertisement

Sounds good to me ;)

Thanks for you help with this Bearpup.

No probs, best of luck
    It all be worthwhile when you are getting your breakfast eggs every morning :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭caesarthechimp

Pellets and mash are the same, its just a case of wetting the pellets until they are used to seeing them. But you should feed whole wheat in the evening; sits in the stomach longer especially for long winter nights. Also cheaper.

OK I will try get my hands on some whole wheet and give it to them thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

Enrate wrote: »
    Pellets and mash are the same, its just a case of wetting the pellets until they are used to seeing them. But you should feed whole wheat in the evening; sits in the stomach longer especially for long winter nights. Also cheaper.

wheat is a mighty way of fattening birds, i have used it when fattening turkeys, i had ones weighing 34 lb oven ready. use with caution as it will make them fat and lazy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement