Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beech Hill Donnybrook

Options
  • 28-04-2010 11:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Might be moving there for a couple of months during the summer...
    Anyone live(d) there or know what its like? Just heard it can be pretty dodgy at times... Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Beech Hill is between Donnybrook and Clonskeagh, you couldn't get a less dodgy area in Dublin.

Plenty of buses into town, close to shops, quiet area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Never dodgy anytime

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Its a council housing/flat area but its fine, mainly old population. Good few students living in the houses aswell. Seems to have a good community there, one of the few places you will still see neighbours chatting to each other across the garden wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭donaghs

Probably at its worst in the 70s. I remember going up there on business in the 80s and you have kids running around doing the whole "you're not from Beechill, what are you doing here, f*** off!", etc. Never recall it being a violent place though.

Most of the houses have probably been bought and sold, the flats are still there. But since the 90s I've heard its been fairly quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I live up the road from it. It's not too bad but I wouldn't walk around there at night. It is mainly d kids there dat are right pr.icks. They would f.uck stones at u and what not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭potsy86

poisonated wrote: »
    I live up the road from it. It's not too bad but I wouldn't walk around there at night. It is mainly d kids there dat are right pr.icks. They would f.uck stones at u and what not.

i agree i know a few little fcukers from out there a lot younger then me been hangin round out that way for good few years im from northside dublin have few friends out the donnybrook way there little messers notin serious that would stop me from walkin about the place let a roar at them an they be gone running up the road home to change there nappies :D from reading the above post i know exactly who your talkin bout there little shi.ts alri need a good kick up the arse

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Definitely not the worst place in the world. Probably not the greatest at night, but nothing majorly bad about it, and definitely no worse than other areas.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Would be fine if you could bomb the flats that are there!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Where are they flats??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭potsy86

Where are they flats??

haha open your eyes big block a them the min you walk into beach hill

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

In the main Beech Hill is fine, the IGB houses were selling there for around the million mark in the peak boom times. Dermot Lacey (Lab) is resident in the estate and keeps the needs of his local constituents under review. There are a few bad eggs, but I think you'd struggle to find anywhere that this isn't the case. I have never been hassled or shouted at and have been visiting the estate for the last 15+ years. I've come and gone at all hours and not once did I feel threatened.

The location is terrific, very central.

The only negatives I would have is the lack of a local shop (Donnybrook village is the nearest) and the on street parking by the residents is a pain when driving through the estate, especially when there are kids around.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

potsy86 wrote: »
    haha open your eyes big block a them the min you walk into beach hill

Sorry I think of Beechhill = Ericsson and leafy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Lambretta

Very good central area beside bus routes, good football club and very nice people in general.

A few young headers 12 to 18 ..who cause serious problems and looking back over the last 10 years it has always been the case... they will try to intimidate you when they are in a gang but not so tough on their own...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Lambretta wrote: »
    Very good central area beside bus routes, good football club and very nice people in general.

A few young headers 12 to 18 ..who cause serious problems and looking back over the last 10 years it has always been the case... they will try to intimidate you when they are in a gang but not so tough on their own...

The same fella's that launched a gun attack on a fire engine recently?
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0119/1224262632906.html

Wonder what was the result of the Garda inquiry.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Lambretta

Probably..same little cowards that nearly burnt down the flats beside the old peoples home at the bottom of the hill..about 5 years ago..when residents were asleep in their beds..

Can't understand how they were not run out of town... if that lark went on in Northside areas ..they would be ran out of town..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Lambretta wrote: »

Can't understand how they were not run out of town... if that lark went on in Northside areas ..they would be ran out of town..

Sounds like you live in the wild west :) Those southside softies

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

Snap of some Beech Hill Villas graffiti from early 1970s:

http://brandnewretro.ie/2012/04/16/dublin-skinheads-1970-ballina-boot-boys-1975/

• Registered Users Posts: 16 manofachill

Does anyone now if Dublin City Council are planning to upgrade the path into UCD from Beechhill?

UCD have finally recently updated it on the other side but the council need to upgrade its side and put in a proper gate

Advertisement