Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

maybe doing a second degree? (as a mature student)

Options
  • 28-04-2010 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

Here is my story as succintly as possible.

I'm just turned 26, have a degree from Nuig. Got a dissapointing 2.2 in Arts, English and History B.A (not due to lack of ability, sadly down to too much drinking). Have 475 points leaving cert (if that matters anymore).

I have been on the dole for over a year :o. It's crap. I want to go back to college, and if possible do it as cheaply as possible( the dole doesn't pay well, despite people's belief that it's loads of money).

I either want to do a new degree, or a worthwhile masters. I have an interest in writing (creative/ screen writing) but am unsure it would be a smart choice as a masters.

I wouldn't mind doing a music degree (again, is it worthwhile??) or law, not a science minded person. but i am not definite. It would be interesting to know what i am enabled to do with my circumstances (having degree/ being on dole for 1 yr) and work from there. I have an interest in linguistics too, that would appeal to me!

Also, as i am on the dole for a while, will that enable me to get some financial assistance in doing either a masters or a degree as a mature student? this is the crucial part.

Is there some obvious things that i've missed? how much money will i have to find to be able to go back to College again? So i have an amount to work with.

Thinking of going back 2011/2012.

Any help is fantastic
    JACK

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭captainstacy

I'm not 100% sure but my understanding is that if you already hold a degree then you can't get funding for another one in the form of a maintenance grant from the County Council/VEC or the back to education allowance from the social welfare.

I may be wrong on that as I am trying to figure out this stuff myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 onthehorizon

You would only be entitled to BTEA if the postgrad course you did leads to a HDip or a postgrad diploma in education, otherwise you would not be entitled to it.

As for the maintenance grant it is payable for approved postgraduate courses dependant on what you are doing/where you are studying etc as long as it is the first time you are applying for a postgrad course. It would not be payable for a second degree.

Basically you cannot do a second degree and get any funding for it at all. You could do a postgraduate course if you are eligible for maintenance grant which is dependant on the course you are doing/where you are studying, your income levels, etc. Your best bet would be to check out http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp7232/maintenance-grant/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭jackthelad321

You would only be entitled to BTEA if the postgrad course you did leads to a HDip or a postgrad diploma in education, otherwise you would not be entitled to it.

As for the maintenance grant it is payable for approved postgraduate courses dependant on what you are doing/where you are studying etc as long as it is the first time you are applying for a postgrad course. It would not be payable for a second degree.

Basically you cannot do a second degree and get any funding for it at all. You could do a postgraduate course if you are eligible for maintenance grant which is dependant on the course you are doing/where you are studying, your income levels, etc. Your best bet would be to check out http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp7232/maintenance-grant/index.html

Right. that's disapointing. I thought i may get some dole to go back. there is no way i can afford fees, rent and living expenses for a whole other degree. I may as well go to England or somewhere interesting if it'll cost the same.

The reason i thought i may be able to get the dole or part of it is 'cause a guy i know has gone back as a mature student and he has a certificate (2 yrs) of a 3 yr degree course. he has to pay fees for 2 yrs but gets the dole and he comments on how he couldn't possibly survive without the financial assistance.

Any other comments? I find this more helpful than going to the dole office. they make you feel guilty for everything in there, and throw forms at you!

Advertisement