Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor :(

Options
  • 28-04-2010 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I have been a Meteor customer for quite a while but I feel I have been done over by the network on a recent promotion.

I am a frequent user of internet on my phone and was delighted when I saw an ad for 'Free internet on your phone + free Meteor texts' on my phone. I could not find a link to terms and conditions on my mobile internet but I decided to change my pricing plan anyway.

So I changed my pricing plan. And a lot of my friends did the same. However, what we didn't know was that our new pricing plan wouldn't take effect until we had topped up again by 20 euros. Furthermore, when I called meteor to change back to my previous plan, Meteor said that I would have to top up again by 20 euros in order for it to have effect.

Finally, when on my phone, I feel that 'Free internet on your phone + free Meteor texts' alone did not make it clear that free texts would apply only to other Meteor phones.

Anyone else have this problem? I want a refund!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Finally, when on my phone, I feel that 'Free internet on your phone + free Meteor texts' alone did not make it clear that free texts would apply only to other Meteor phones.

I think that the phrase "Free Meteor Texts" made that clear, or at least it did to me.

In general with Meteor, in order to avail of free calls, texts etc, you need to make regular top-ups or make top-ups of a certain value.

How have you approached Meteor about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Terms and Conditions are all on their website - http://www.meteor.ie/terms_and_conditions/anytimechoice/#freeinternet

You won't get a refund, nor are you entitled to one, just because you don't like their plans. You requested the change of plan.

Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I

Anyone else have this problem? I want a refund!
    :eek:
    How is that unclear??

A clear case in point how customers most definitley are NOT always right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Che Guevara

Fair enough about the meteor texts part. :)

But apart from that, after changing to this plan I think I was still charged for internet and Meteor to Meteor texts. And my old price plan wasn't there. So I must not have belonged to any plan. Credit went from 10 to 0 in a day.

There should and have been a clear link to Terms and Conditions on the mobile site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If you signed up to something without checking the terms, then you can only blame yourself. Every operator will require a top-up (and continued regular top-up) to avail of any free or special offer rates. Free Meteor-texts is fairly self explanatory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

jor el wrote: »
    If you signed up to something without checking the terms, then you can only blame yourself. Every operator will require a top-up (and continued regular top-up) to avail of any free or special offer rates. Free Meteor-texts is fairly self explanatory.

+1

If they didn't require the top up, people would be just switching between plans to suit their immediate needs on a constant basis. It's common sense really.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Dublindude69

I just changed my plan and I got a text message straight away saying it wouldn't be active until I topped up by €20

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I have been a Meteor customer for quite a while but I feel I have been done over by the network on a recent promotion.

I am a frequent user of internet on my phone and was delighted when I saw an ad for 'Free internet on your phone + free Meteor texts' on my phone.<SNIP>
    <SNIP>

!

I'm confused as hell, how could "free Meteor texts" not make it any clearer that the free texts were to Meteor customers only?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'm confused as hell, how could "free Meteor texts" not make it any clearer that the free texts were to Meteor customers only?

I think, and correct me if I am wrong, that the OP is suggesting that it should be clearer that the texts are to ONLY other Meteor numbers. For example, the advertisement should state "free Meteor to Meteor texts"?

I'd say it's obvious enough. It didn't say free texts, it says free Meteor texts. Why the addition of the word Meteor if it doesn't mean texts on Meteor? I am not, and never have been, a Meteor customer, but I understood it to have this meaning from hearing the radio ads.

There is always a catch, especially when the word free is used. If a company advertises a sounds too good to be true offer, then you should really check out the details before you go blindly using it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I just changed my plan and I got a text message straight away saying it wouldn't be active until I topped up by €20

Yep, you get this text when you sign up to it. Seems very clear on the top up required.

"Thanks for opting in to our free browse and text for life offer, just top up by 20 euro in one go to avail of this offer for the next 30 days."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

OP - Move from Meteor to 3. I just did.

€20/month gets you free texts to any network, free calls to any network at the weekend, and unlimited (meteor have a 250MB cap) internet. Calls mid-week are 35c/min but that's the only thing coming off your credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

eightyfish wrote: »

€20/month gets you free texts to any network, free calls to any network at the weekend, and unlimited (meteor have a 250MB cap) internet. Calls mid-week are 35c/min but that's the only thing coming off your credit.

:eek: That's excellent. Didn't believe you until I just checked their site. Surely there's a catch with the internet.

Surely there's a catch with the internet.

There will most certainly be a limit there somewhere, whether it's published or not. There's also 3's sparse coverage in many rural parts, and no 2G network at all. Just things you should consider before switching.

jor el wrote: »
    There will most certainly be a limit there somewhere, whether it's published or not. There's also 3's sparse coverage in many rural parts, and no 2G network at all. Just things you should consider before switching.
    Unlimited internet subject to fair usage limit of 250 MB per 30 day period and subject to €5 internet add-on being purchased out of €20 top-up.

Indeed. FFS. They used to have 1GB for €10. Now it's 250MB for €5.

Heads up: At the moment the site has the new price but the old bundle. 1GB for €5. Buy it quickly before they update the site!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I think the point in restricting people from changing price plans so that you can only do it every time you top up by €20 is to prevent people from continually changing plans to avail of whatever free offer is available with that plan depending on their usage patterns. If I remember right Vodafone restrict prepay customers from changing plans to once every 30 days so this isn't really all that different.

Advertisement