Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PMA

• 28-04-2010 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Positive Mental Attitude
    there seems to be a bit of a positive air around the city in the last few weeks -
    the business owners, builders (yes builders), locals seem to be looking at an upturn in trade.
    With the opening of Waterford Crystal in June - how can we get the whole city in a positive frame of mind?
    this is a milestone in our city centre economy - and i see lots of Businesses looking at this as a turning point in our economy. Failte Ireland have forecast 200,000 visitors in year one.
    if every citizen in the city had a positive attitude to everyone they meet - this would lift the gloom very fast - a smile from taxi drivers -locals saying "hi" to tourists - cead mile failte-everyone loooking to help visitors to our city and make them feel welcome.
    youve all heard of viral marketing - imagine everyone in the city inviting 4 friends to come a visit our city this summer - 50,000 citizens inviting 200,000 people to our city - show them a good time - each one of them tells 10 other what a good city Waterford is -imagine the difference!!

opinions please - positive only if possible

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Michael st. is coming back to life. Two nice new shops after opening, The O.C. (clothes) and Niall O'Reilly (is that right?) (some sort of cosmetics?) They look like they are not going to close within 6 months, and have invested a bit of money. There's a new kebab place on O'Connell st. Interesting to see the area evolve from an area of industrial decay to a lively residential area. This area has the potential to be the trendiest part of town in years to come: low rents, diverse community.

A good few more bike shelters have popped up around the place over the past week or two, and cycle lane are always appearing, even if they are not always well thought out. I've actually noticed an increased in the numbers cycling over the past few weeks as well. Good weather helps I suppose.

The new crystal centre was probably the most realistic way of rejuvenating the Mall. When it is built, I'd say we will see more restaurants open in those nice Georgian buildings. 33 The Mall failed, but maybe it was ahead of its time. La Palma and Sabai seem to be doing well. This investment combined with the Viking triangle works, Waterford will have a very strong tourism/historical core, as well as a commercial core.

Things are looking up. It's funny that with all of the big figures bandied about during the boom, very little was actually built, whereas now more is getting done on more modest price tags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

merlante wrote: »
    .....33 The Mall failed, but maybe it was ahead of its time.
    I went in there once way back and wouldn't go in there again because the food was way over priced, portions were crap and didn't taste great for the price you paid. In my opinion that is why it failed.

33 The Mall is a nice building, I hope something else goes in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I think there are reasons to be positive. 33 the Mall could be a good place if they get tourists from the Crystal place.

I see lots of new signage and painting going on yesterday. I think its good that the Tweedy thing is kind of sorted, one way or another. It was good to see the outside of Ruby's being painted.

Then there was a new sign on the Istanbul, and some other places. I read the council told places to spruce up and look respectable for when the americans start coming in June.

JC originals seem to have some nice t-shirts in, and the Army shops new place is a huge improvement. I like these to places as they are local shops and the people there have always been sound in there.
    As for the Old Stand, I think we should put a tape recording of building work in there. That way tourists will think its being worked on, and hasn't been derelict for almost 3 years.

Economically, interest rates will start going up, which will hurt retail bars and restaurants, but on the flip side things should start picking up in the industrial estate with the increase in the world economy.

Hey, even our local head shop looks more respectable than the ones up in Dublin :)

dayshah wrote: »
    Hey, even our local head shop looks more respectable than the ones up in Dublin :)

I presume you mean the Hemporium. There's 3 now that I know of, Hemporium, Little Elf and another fairly non-descript place on Parnell st. I think.

Who knows how long they will last.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

dayshah wrote: »
    I think there are reasons to be positive. 33 the Mall could be a good place if they get tourists from the Crystal place.

Was that the building where the FIRST irish flag was flown? If so, a good start would be to hang the largest Tri-Colour you could find from its facade.

Yes - The City Council needs to commended for their approach to the Mall (inc. the Crystal Factory, the planting to Bishop's Palace and the potential Viking Building).

There is certainly a need for a mood change:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Where is the army shop gone to? great spot full of all kinds of stuff.

Has the Waterford N&S painted it´s building yet? place is a disgrace.

I think they (corpo) have plans to do something with the first flying of the tri-colour, no?

Have the drug dealers not tried to burn down the Head shops in Waterford yet?

any progress on Cathedral sq?

Hope that the Spraoi in the Park is happening again this year ... but with the August Spraoi maintaining the parade?

Fresh paint, flowers & FRIENDLY FACES could make a big difference!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

comeraghs wrote: »
    Hope that the Spraoi in the Park is happening again this year ... but with the August Spraoi maintaining the parade
    This I would like. The idea of Spraoi in the Park was great but moving the parade away from the main festival was stupid.Took away massive crowds for the fireworks and really gave the weekend an anti-climax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Where is the army shop gone to? great spot full of all kinds of stuff.
    Army Shop has moved down to the quay and can be found between Shaws and the Bus Station (from what I can remember)
    I think they renamed the shop also ( i forget the name). Same family own and run it from what i heard.
    Has the Waterford N&S painted it´s building yet? place is a disgrace.
    Yep sure is.
    You should have a look at the facebook campaign someone setup to try get N&S to do something about it.
    Loads of places doing a repaint job lately. Recent place i noticed was Geoffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 foxylad2

as last year - Waterford Chamber of Commerce Retail Comitteee are organising "City in Bloom" -all shops are requested to deck their upper windowswith fresh flowers - and this year Ciy Council are placing large planters of flowers around the city -
    that should colour the city!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

well done on the pma! I know a few people who are opening ventures up this year too and all to coincide with the current influx by the local authorities in increasing tourism in the area. I'm looking forward tothe development of the viking triangle, it looks promising and of course with the tall ships returning hopefully we'll be back on track this time next year. best of luck to all involved.

(totally agree with seeing the flag flown from 33 the mall)

• Advertisement

foxylad2 wrote: »
    as last year - Waterford Chamber of Commerce Retail Comitteee are organising "City in Bloom" -all shops are requested to deck their upper windowswith fresh flowers - and this year Ciy Council are placing large planters of flowers around the city -
    that should colour the city!

That is another great idea, however, are some of our City folk developed enough to leave them alone! There is a need to be proud of the City...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

btw there are two glass companies opening up, aside from the crystal factory in the esb buildings, there's a smaller craft workshop and showrooms opening up where clancy's garage used to be, new building going up as we speak.

Yes Boss wrote: »
    are some of our City folk developed enough to leave them alone! There is a need to be proud of the City...

ive come up against this attitude a lot - with council & businesses - i was in Chicago and asked had they no vandalism/graffitti - the reply was - all flowers /trees/are surveyed every morning early - if there is any damage - they are removed and replaced that hour - so no one ever sees damaged stock - and in the end - no one damages them! good philosophy

ive come up against this attitude a lot - with council & businesses - i was in Chicago and asked had they no vandalism/graffitti - the reply was - all flowers /trees/are surveyed every morning early - if there is any damage - they are removed and replaced that hour - so no one ever sees damaged stock - and in the end - no one damages them! good philosophy

Certainly the right appraoch but can Waterford City Council deliver??

Should this not be backed up by civic spirit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Yes Boss wrote: »
    Certainly the right appraoch but can Waterford City Council deliver??

Should this not be backed up by civic spirit!

Of course it should. But this is Waterford, Ireland. Even if the majority show civic spirit, it only takes one small group to wreck things to the point where people say why bother.

Case in point: The life rings along the walkway opposite Superquinn. Every one of these has been robbed, thrown in the river or set on fire. They were being replaced quite regularly but not anymore.

I'm not saying we shouldn't try, but don't be surprised when something gets vandalised and the majority of people don't care since "it wasn't theirs".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Adyx wrote: »
    Of course it should. But this is Waterford, Ireland. Even if the majority show civic spirit, it only takes one small group to wreck things to the point where people say why bother.

Case in point: The life rings along the walkway opposite Superquinn. Every one of these has been robbed, thrown in the river or set on fire. They were being replaced quite regularly but not anymore.

I'm not saying we shouldn't try, but don't be surprised when something gets vandalised and the majority of people don't care since "it wasn't theirs".
    The thing is a lot of people do care but the biggest problem is nobody who should be able to can/wants to do anything about those who cause the problems.(case in point the council house thread here atm).

Sh!t big/small is going to keep happening unless theres consequences enforced for them (old argument obviously but accurate)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Here's some bits of news we should be positive about:

Green light for Solas Centre - building starts in May
    http://www.waterford-today.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9490&Itemid=1&ed=905

Gala extravaganza planned for light opera’s 50th birthday
    http://www.waterford-news.ie/news/story/?trs=mhcwgbmhey&cat=news

Painting of Council Buildings
    http://www.waterfordcity.ie/documents/notices/PaintTender2010.doc

Owners of the Ard Ri Hotel are called on to clean up the site
    http://www.wlrfm.ie/tabId/269/itemId/858/Owners-of-the-Ard-Ri-Hotel-are-called-on-to-clean.aspx

From the City Council minutes from their March meeting:
    The City Manager gave an update to the meeting on the current status of the new Crystal factory and visitor centre The Mall. The two main contracts on the factory and visitor centre were progressing on schedule and in spite of the tight timeframes, the Manager was confident that the work would be complete and the facility operational by June 1st with an official opening to take place in late June.

In conjunction with the Crystal centre, work was on-going on the development of complementary heritage attractions in the immediate area which would form a heritage trail with guided walking tours starting in June. In addition Destination Waterford were pulling all of the local tourist interests together to market the City and its attractions.

Work on the conversion of the Bishop’s Palace to an eighteenth century museum would commence later in the year and there was a proposal to convert the adjoining car-park into a garden.

On derelict sites in the area, it was agreed to consider this matter in greater detail at the Committee Meeting on March 22nd.
    Destination Waterford, referred to above, will soon be launching a new website promoting Waterford City as a tourist destination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Where is that Solas Centre going? They don't appear to have mentioned it in that article...

Kahless wrote: »
    Where is that Solas Centre going? They don't appear to have mentioned it in that article...
    Williamstown roundabout:
    http://www.waterford-news.ie/news/story/?trs=mhcwgbojey&cat=news

so there is positivitity in this City -
    why dont we shout it from the rooftops -
    tell the news papersall the good news stories -
    are we shy to do this in this city -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

why dont we shout it from the rooftops -
    cos the gardaí say "get down outta that roof!"..

Adyx wrote: »

Maybe there is not enough foot traffic in the area. But the principle is correct, you have to keep replacing them, if vandalism is allowed to stand, it gets very bad very quickly.

Having said that, if it one group doing something, then some effort should be made to catch them. It seems to be possible to catch people doing things in other countries.

a summer of great festivals coming up in the next few months in the city & county starting this week with

www.feilenandeise.com & followed by www.lismoreimmrama.com www.firstofthesummerwine.com & the big one www.spraoi.com

Lets get out & enjoy them!

& The light opera festival is back in the Autumn :)

and the Harvest Food Festival is back in September.

Spraoi are announcing details of their festivals soon.

& did I hear that there is some kind of maritime festival / maritime music festival happening in the city this summer?

& did I hear that there is some kind of maritime festival / maritime music festival happening in the city this summer?
    Yeah there's a Seafaring Festival of Music and Song in May:
    http://www.hooksandcrookes.com/festival.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

lads it great that there are some great festivals coming up but the town is dead, after 4.30 pm the city centre is like a ghost town, ive been talking to shop owners around the city centre and they are struggling. at the end of the day waterford missed out on the good times, all that was done was a road was built up to dublin, they built a sh*t load of houses that are now empty, any developements that they tried to do to the city centre was blocked over even more bullsh*t. there just is not enough in the town to make people want to make the effort to come in. the town needs a lot more that pma in my opinion, it needs some direction.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

PMA?

I'd just blame the sunshine! The first few months of any year, with the dire weather and the short days aren't really conductive with a positive attitude. Now that we're seeing sunshine, people are somewhat happier and spending more as a result. I would have thought of it as a natural cycle as opposed to something specific to Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

angry_fox wrote: »
    lads it great that there are some great festivals coming up but the town is dead, after 4.30 pm the city centre is like a ghost town, ive been talking to shop owners around the city centre and they are struggling. at the end of the day waterford missed out on the good times, all that was done was a road was built up to dublin, they built a sh*t load of houses that are now empty, any developements that they tried to do to the city centre was blocked over even more bullsh*t. there just is not enough in the town to make people want to make the effort to come in. the town needs a lot more that pma in my opinion, it needs some direction.....

One Serial Objector, a certain trade union, Our backward planning system and other NIMBYS come to mind for the stagnation/decline of the City Center:rolleyes:

Advertisement