Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Table

• 28-04-2010 12:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi again,

I have a table made from \begin{tabular} . . .\end{tabular} and basically when it goes on the LHS of the page. I was wondering is there a way to be able to write text along the RHS of the box instead of underneath which it makes me do???

thanks

chave

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

chave wrote: »
    Hi again,

I have a table made from \begin{tabular} . . .\end{tabular} and basically when it goes on the LHS of the page. I was wondering is there a way to be able to write text along the RHS of the box instead of underneath which it makes me do???

thanks

chave
    The alignment of the contents of the cells are defined by what's in the brackets immediately after \begin{tabular}. For example specifying {lrl} will have a left-right-left combination:

\begin{tabular}{lrl}
    This is left aligned & This is right-aligned & This is left-aligned
    \end{tabular}

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭chave

The alignment of the contents of the cells are defined by what's in the brackets immediately after \begin{tabular}. For example specifying {lrl} will have a left-right-left combination:

\begin{tabular}{lrl}
    This is left aligned & This is right-aligned & This is left-aligned
    \end{tabular}

Thanks but thats not quite what i meant. I have a self contained table on the LHS of the page. Now i want to write other text discussing the table to the right of the table.

I just wanted to know how I can do that. Its nothing to do with whats in the tables or cells.

regards

Chave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Clinker

I usually use minipage environments for that kind of thing: two side-by-side minipages, one with text, the other with the table. That might not work for you, though: I usually use it in setting an exam so the text is short. You probably want the text to flow seamlessly past the table, which won't work easily with the minipages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Clinker

I was interested in getting an answer to this myself, so I googled and found the wrapfig packeage. See here. In the example in the link it's used to wrap around a picture, but it could just as well be a table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

chave wrote: »
    Thanks but thats not quite what i meant. I have a self contained table on the LHS of the page. Now i want to write other text discussing the table to the right of the table.

I just wanted to know how I can do that. Its nothing to do with whats in the tables or cells.

regards

Chave

As a bit of a Knuth-knows-best purist, I say stop worrying about formatting and let TeX align everything. You won't get extra marks because your table has text to the side of it.

That said, Mr Clinker is right, you can do it with wrapfig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭chave

Clinker wrote: »
    I was interested in getting an answer to this myself, so I googled and found the wrapfig packeage. See here. In the example in the link it's used to wrap around a picture, but it could just as well be a table.

Its soooo pretty . That worked great thanks a lot.

Advertisement