Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning in moving to Scotland, would i get any financial help?

Options
  • 28-04-2010 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Next year i want to move to Scotland.

I plan on taking around €1000 with me.

But would I be able to claim Job Seekers Allowance from there immediately?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I doubt it.

Why do you want to move to Scotland, particularly if you dont have a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭drakshug

Well. I used to work for the DSS.
    You'll first have to get an address and then an NI number and then you have to be there for at least 12 months to get jobseekers. You will be entitled to income support though. Getting an NI number may take 1.5 to 2 months
    The only way round it is if you are on the dole in Ireland and apply to get your dole transferred from Ireland to the UK. I think there is also a minimum number of weeks that you should have been claiming in Ireland. This applies throughout the EU.
    What do you want to go and claim over there for? You get more in Ireland and you can search for UK jobs here without going over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sawyer08

Hey guys thanks for replying.
    I have friends living in Scotland
    and i've been visiting them a lot more recently
    and im just generally happier when im there
    i cant move in with them because they just dont have the room so if i go i'll have to find my own place.
    i want to be able to make my own way without scratching off em for money so i wont be leaving Ireland without enough to keep me on my feet for a while

Some people.

Whereabouts Sawyer? I'm Scottish.
    Do they have any mates who could give you lodgings? I'm sure there is someone who could put you up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

drakshug wrote: »
    Getting an NI number may take 1.5 to 2 months

Just on getting the N.I number, is there a large amount of hoops to jump through before you get it.

I'm hopeing to work over in Edinburgh for the summer myself from mid June onwards. I was planning on ringing up about it next week anyway, but do you actually need an address over there and then wait 1.5 to 2 months before getting the N.I. number. I would have thought it would be a much more straightforward process with a EU passport. Would really mess up my plans if I legally can't work for that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Some people.
    what does that mean?:confused:

sawyer its a lot different being on holiday with friends than living there full time.

l would look for a job before u go over to live there .
    €1000 isnt a lot of money either to keep u going if u do struggle to get a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

sawyer08 wrote: »
    Next year i want to move to Scotland.

I plan on taking around 1000 with me.

But would I be able to claim Job Seekers Allowance from there immediately?
    You want to move to a different country to claim their dole. What happened to emigrating to look for work?1000 is only around £850 or a bit less when you buy it. That won't get you very far after paying rent and deposits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

alpha2zulu wrote: »
    Just on getting the N.I number, is there a large amount of hoops to jump through before you get it.

I'm hoping to work over in Edinburgh for the summer myself from mid June onwards. I was planning on ringing up about it next week anyway, but do you actually need an address over there and then wait 1.5 to 2 months before getting the N.I. number. I would have thought it would be a much more straightforward process with a EU passport. Would really mess up my plans if I legally can't work for that long.

I did this a good few years ago, I didn't have any problems regarding getting a job. Once I had a job I was issued with a temporary NI.

drakshug since you seem to know what your talking about, would I be able to use my NI from the last time I was working in the UK, as I am currently looking for a job in the UK and using the old one would save me a lot of hassle.

Argenite. That temporary NI number should be good to go. Have you still got the card with the number on it?
    alpha2zulu. It is the same system as here. You go down to the DSS and apply. Try Castle Terrace in Edinburgh. I worked there about 25 years ago :))
    You can also do it over the phone but I don't have the freephone number. Your job centre will help you, too.They'll need an address and you'll need to go for an EOI which is just an interview asking questions about who you are. Take your passport,.As it is an EU one it is just a formality, you are entitled to work. They do need a fixed abode for tax purposes.
    You can get work whilst applying for an NI number so you don't need to have one beforehand. It should only be about 6 weeks for the number. Once you get it, you show it to your boss. You'll get a credit sized plastic card with your number (I have a paper one - I'm old).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Thanks drakshug, I don't know if I have or ever got a card. I will have to have a look for it.

alpha2zulu. It is the same system as here. You go down to the DSS and apply. Try Castle Terrace in Edinburgh. I worked there about 25 years ago :))
    You can also do it over the phone but I don't have the freephone number. Your job centre will help you, too.They'll need an address and you'll need to go for an EOI which is just an interview asking questions about who you are. Take your passport,.As it is an EU one it is just a formality, you are entitled to work. They do need a fixed abode for tax purposes.
    You can get work whilst applying for an NI number so you don't need to have one beforehand. It should only be about 6 weeks for the number. Once you get it, you show it to your boss. You'll get a credit sized plastic card with your number (I have a paper one - I'm old).

Many thanks, thats brilliant:D. I have that phone number saved already so I think I'll give it a ring next week to see if theres anything else I could fix up before I go. My overriding memory from the Edinburgh Festival last year was the amount of job ads in cafe windows so thats my main motivation for testing the water over there..and Edinburgh being a fantastic city!

While I think I could legally draw the dole here for the summer because I'm between a grad and post grad course, I'd just much prefer to be working and earning a bit than sitting at home and getting the same amount.

Well the number is on the computer anyway and you have proof of identity so should be ok.
    Number should look like

XY001133D or something like that with the year you were 16 or the year you got the number mixed up in the code.

I still remember mine off by heart. Cant remember any of the ones I got elesewhere including my Irish one :D

Alpha. During the festival you could probably work without an NI number anyway.......... As an EU citizen you have the right of freedom of movement and work so you go in, get the job and then, if your boss (ahem) requires it, get the NI number.
    I studied in Edi and lived there for a good while. You'll love it.

Alpha. During the festival you could probably work without an NI number anyway.......... As an EU citizen you have the right of freedom of movement and work so you go in, get the job and then, if your boss (ahem) requires it, get the NI number.
    I studied in Edi and lived there for a good while. You'll love it.

Apparently so;). Just the accomadation for August gets jacked up in price so much I've been told theres better value the earlier in Summer you manage to get set up. Once my exams are done I'm giving myself 2 weeks to find something here and if I can't get anything I'm heading over to Edinburgh for a few days in early June to see how things are looking over there.

Well, depends where ya live. There are places on the outskirts that are less touristy so less tenants.
    Anyway. Edinburgh is expensive off season. You seem savvy so you will find somewhere. Just avoid Granton, Wester Hailes, Muirhouse and Craigmillar addresses.

Whereabouts Sawyer? I'm Scottish.
    Do they have any mates who could give you lodgings? I'm sure there is someone who could put you up.

Somewhere around Hamilton

and look guys i dont plan on claiming jobseekers allowance over there
    like i'll be looking for a job before i go and stuff i was just asking just incase i end up in a tight spot.

and i know actually living there will be a lot different than just visiting but im certain its what i want to do.

Ah, Lanarkshire :)
    my folks live in Lanark. Sis was born in bellshill. Me I'm Glasgow. Somewhere round Hamilton is a big area - Coatbridge, airdrie, bellshill etc. Your grand will cover for food longer than here but I don't know what rent is like. When you get over, go down the job centre and register with them. I was over last month in Lanark. Still a lot of building going on but it ain't easy there for jobs either.
    Good luck.

Ah, Lanarkshire :)
    my folks live in Lanark. Sis was born in bellshill. Me I'm Glasgow. Somewhere round Hamilton is a big area - Coatbridge, airdrie, bellshill etc. Your grand will cover for food longer than here but I don't know what rent is like. When you get over, go down the job centre and register with them. I was over last month in Lanark. Still a lot of building going on but it ain't easy there for jobs either.
    Good luck.

i was planning on going for somewhere around Central
    i'll be open for any type of work so hopefully something wont be too far around the corner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Coatbridge, airdrie, bellshill.

2 out of the 3 corners of the "Buckfast Triangle":D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Alpha I'm in Edinburgh at the moment and there is quite a fair bit of jobs advertised on windows, retail, bar work and cafes, so should be easy enough to pick one up.

Edinburgh is expensive for rent and dont forget there's council tax on top of that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement