Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm getting the email notification hours too late.....

Options
  • 28-04-2010 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

I'm set up to get the email notification when a subscribed thread is updated.

But lately, I'm not getting these any time soon after they've been updated.

For instance today, a thread got updated at 9am on boards, and I only got the email notification after 12.

But by this time, I've been back on boards and seen the updated thread.

So getting the email notification is no use as I've already been on in that time.

Any reason for this?

Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Might just be your email provider.

I'm with Gmail and it can be anywhere from instant to ten minutes with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Might just be your email provider.

I'm with Gmail and it can be anywhere from instant to ten minutes with them.

No, don't think so. As I'm with Yahoo, and they've always been straight away, but only in last couple of days they've been getting emailed hours later.

I even turned off the "instant email notification" in my user cp about 3 hours ago, and I'm still getting emails notifying me of updated threads ever since, up until just before I posted this:(

Is there something up I wonder?

FAO Mods/Admin, can someone please sort out my email notification, as it's getting ridiculous now:(

17 emails in my Yahoo inbox this morning at 8am, 15 of them were outdated boards.ie email notifications.

I turned them off twice in my user cp yesterday (and yes I did click "save changes"), but still nothing.

Set up a Gmail account and use that for a few hours if you can, just to rule out it being an issue with Yahoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

Col200sx wrote: »
    No, don't think so. As I'm with Yahoo, and they've always been straight away, but only in last couple of days they've been getting emailed hours later.

I even turned off the "instant email notification" in my user cp about 3 hours ago, and I'm still getting emails notifying me of updated threads ever since, up until just before I posted this:(

Is there something up I wonder?

same here, i'm with yahoo too. they're crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

I'm trying to look into this at the moment. If I find out anything, I'll let you know.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How does this work - do you get a separate mail for every post made in every thread you've posted in?

How does this work - do you get a separate mail for every post made in every thread you've posted in?

Here's an old one I have in my inbox.
    Boards.ie wrote:
    Dear Col200sx,

Mr_Hat has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - The Ray D'Arcy show Megathread - in the Radio forum of boards.ie.

This thread is located at:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055091114&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:

---Quote (Originally by Recce)---
    Actually guys Rays time was 47min which is quite respectable imo.
    ---End Quote---
    No he didnt Ive had a look at all the Male race results in and around 47 mins from the Great Ireland Race site. No listing for Ray

There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
    boards.ie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Unsubscription information:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit this page:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/subscription.php?do=removesubscription&type=thread&subscriptionid=2780806&auth=a932b114b907afb8a9681a13fcfdfd0a

To unsubscribe from ALL threads, please visit this page:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription&folderid=all

You actually get notifications from each thread updated, but only 1 per thread. But they're just hours too late. And now they won't even turn off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Do you not check your email that you gave to Boards. If you havent turned off the email notification option Im guessing there will be loads of them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Do you not check your email that you gave to Boards. If you havent turned off the email notification option Im guessing there will be loads of them.

It was the first thing I did when I signed up. I can't imagine how much crap I'd get in my mailbox otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

It was the first thing I did when I signed up. I can't imagine how much crap I'd get in my mailbox otherwise.
    A lot. Only discovered the option to switch it off recently. Was doing my head in.

Slightly off-topic.

Is there a way on each forum, to get email notifications when new threads are started?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 feargswalsh69

is there any other way than e-mails that boards use to notify you about people writing on threads you have subscribed?

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Slightly off-topic.

Is there a way on each forum, to get email notifications when new threads are started?

Technically, yes, but there's no user interface to allow anyone to actually use it properly.

You can get a daily summary in the forum subscription options, that's about as close as it gets.
    is there any other way than e-mails that boards use to notify you about people writing on threads you have subscribed?

Nope. TBH, I can't really think of any widely-deployed technology which would be appropriate for that either. What did you have in mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Conor wrote: »
    Nope. TBH, I can't really think of any widely-deployed technology which would be appropriate for that either. What did you have in mind?

News bulletins.

News bulletins.

Hmmm. There is a big aerial on top of our building...

So, is there any solution yet at all?

I'm still getting email notifications, even though I've turned them off.

I've now had to report these as spam as they're just clogging up my inbox:mad:

Someone please stop sending them to me:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I'd say its more likely to be a problem with Yahoo rather than boards as the notifications I've been getting today with Gmail have all been on time.

Advertisement