Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Commitments

Options
  • 28-04-2010 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

Watched it again for the 1000th time last nite, but i still cant place where the flats/houses that Jimmy lived in.

Usuall places like Ballymun, Darndale, Smithfield, Killbarrak flats look familiar in the movie.

Does anybody know for defo where it was filmed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

not 100%, but I always thought it was Kilbarrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Raheny, Darndale and Kilbarrack AFAIK most of the areas have changed so much as that they are unrecognisable today! Alot of the shots where in Darndale. Any film of that era / roddy doyle tend to of been shot in the above areas!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

not 100%, but I always thought it was Kilbarrack.

Well i know The Van and The Snapper was shot in Killbarrck around Briarfield and Thornville ave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Double post

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

the shots of Jimmy's house were done in Darndale, those houses in particular are at the bottom of the Darndale road, just near the Malahide Road junction/roundabout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Imagine that film is 20 years old this year. I am so old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

I Was VB wrote: »
    Well i know The Van and The Snapper was shot in Killbarrck around Briarfield and Thornville ave.

yeah the house in the snapper is on briarfield road right oppposite kilbarrack dart station, the area has changed immensely over the years though, the pubs used were the cedars in raheny and the foxhound in greendale. one scene is filmed in dun laoghaire shopping centre, the bit where burgess says ' did you not see me over by the vegetables'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

yeah the house in the snapper is on briarfield road right oppposite kilbarrack dart station, the area has changed immensely over the years though, the pubs used were the cedars in raheny and the foxhound in greendale. one scene is filmed in dun laoghaire shopping centre, the bit where burgess says ' did you not see me over by the vegetables'

Is that not The Square?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Also parts of the Snapper were filmed in Howth. When they are in the club it was Zeniths 'look at his arse, like 2 eggs in a hankie' :pac:

But the next scene when they are outside, they are at the front of The St. Laurence Hotel (aka Goodtime Charlies).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Des wrote: »
    Is that not The Square?

It always looked like Dun Laoghaire shopping centre to me. But then again I have a history of presuming I spot locations in films that turn out to be completely wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    It always looked like Dun Laoghaire shopping centre to me. But then again I have a history of presuming I spot locations in films that turn out to be completely wrong.

In the shopping centre scene when Sharon is on the escalator and Georgie is shouting after her "I'll always love ye Sharrdin" you can see the signs and logos on the walls and signposts, they are kind of navy blue with a wavy pattern, I'm sure The Square used them.

Although, thinking about it now, a blue wavy pattern would certainly fit more with Kingstown than Tallaght.

But the whole general feel of the film is a lot more Tallaght than Dun Laoghaire :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Is that not The Square?

I'm pretty sure I remember the excitement of them filming in the Dun Laoghaire shopping centre when I was a lad, as we lived up the road from it.

There's an episode of Father Ted where he's getting his book signed by the female author shot in Dun Laoghaire Shopping Centre too. It must lend itself well to filming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I'm pretty sure I remember the excitement of them filming in the Dun Laoghaire shopping centre when I was a lad, as we lived up the road from it.

There's an episode of Father Ted where he's getting his book signed by the female author shot in Dun Laoghaire Shopping Centre too. It must lend itself well to filming!

Indeed. There is a simultaneous thread running on this at the moment in the TV forum :)

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055895198

Is that not The Square?

nope, its 1000% dun laoghaire sc, look at the bit where she is walking away shouting back and you see in the background 'georges mall' which leads out onto georges street, plus i have been in that shopping centre hundreds of times, it hasnt really changed much since then

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Pines

WindSock wrote: »
    Also parts of the Snapper were filmed in Howth. When they are in the club it was Zeniths 'look at his arse, like 2 eggs in a hankie' :pac:

But the next scene when they are outside, they are at the front of The St. Laurence Hotel (aka Goodtime Charlies).

And when Georgie has his wicked way with Sharon, it's in the car park of the Old Shieling in Raheny.

Pines wrote: »
    And when Georgie has his wicked way with Sharon, it's in the car park of the Old Shieling in Raheny.

and when he does a legger after seeing her in the street she is looking into the window of the chemist beside the inn on main street raheny

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Also, obviously the gig shots were filmed in the Palace on Camden Street, but the occassional bits where they descend some steps on an old laneway were filmed on a recently modenerised lane leading onto Kevin Street, you can see the Jacobs factory in the backround, which was mostly demolished for the Aungier St DIT

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

nope, its 1000% dun laoghaire sc, look at the bit where she is walking away shouting back and you see in the background 'georges mall' which leads out onto georges street, plus i have been in that shopping centre hundreds of times, it hasnt really changed much since then

Jaysis, I'd struggle to think how that place has changed at all in the 20 years since I've been going there. :D
    I do love the place in a strange way though.

Advertisement