Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motor tax - new bike

• 28-04-2010 1:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

Just reading the details off the motor tax website.
    Taxing a new or imported vehicle is straightforward. You will need to have the following items before starting the process:
    • Your RF100 form which you should have received either from your Motor Dealer or the Revenue Commissioners. This contains your vehicle registration number and Personal Identification Number (PIN) which are required to login to the service. Please retain the RF100 form carefully.
    • Your vehicle insurance details (name of insurer, policy number and expiry date).
    • Your payment card - Laser, MasterCard or Visa (including pre-paid vouchers)
    Can I just do this online before picking up the bike and then drive it home from the dealer ? Will they give me a temp tax disc. Not sure if allowed to drive the bike home from the dealers without a tax disc. Any advice please.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Surely its the exact same as a car? The dealer will give you a stamped letter to say that you've literally just bought it, to give you a week or two to sort out your tax situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Lurching wrote: »
    Surely its the exact same as a car? The dealer will give you a stamped letter to say that you've literally just bought it, to give you a week or two to sort out your tax situation.

So its fine to drive it around for a week or so until the tax disc arrives once I keep the stamped letter form the dealer on me ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I'm assuming that you're just worried about having the bike seized for no tax or fines or something?

You'll get your disc in a matter of days. In the meantime, driving an obviously brand new bike, you shouldn't expect too much quibble from the guards if you're stopped.

I've chopped and changed cages regularly for the last decade. Of my 13 cars, just one had tax on it (for a fortnight :rolleyes:) when I got it. I never had trouble after telling them I'd just bought it. I even once met the same guard twice and he just said the second time 'just get it effin' taxed wilya'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

If you are buying a brand new bike from a dealer, the dealer will register the bike for you.
    Ask them to give you a call as soon as they have registered the bike.
    Get the paperwork off the dealer, then you have the reg.
    The last 6 digits of the Chassis/VRN are your pin.

You can then tax the bike online, and print off the receipt.

Then go and collect your bike. :D

It is actually very easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

I'd be getting them to tax it.. untaxed, I didnt think it was road legal, and therefore not legal to be be sold by registered traders? (or I make that up? :o )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

you can tax it online.
    The pin is the last 4digits of the chassie number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Wossack wrote: »
    I'd be getting them to tax it.. untaxed, I didnt think it was road legal, and therefore not legal to be be sold by registered traders? (or I make that up? :o )

Legal or not, its done all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Apologies if i'm high-jacking this thread, but my question is related to tax on a new bike.

Basically, how much is it?

I can't see any rates for motorbikes on the Motor Tax Office's website under the CO2 emission rates form (https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/staticContent.do?page=motortaxrates).

Or does the CO2 emission count when it's a motorbike? I'd be looking at a new Honda Innova 125 btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

motor tax for bikes still uses the old (non CO2) system

so:
    <75cc = €43
    <200cc = €58
    >201cc = €76

bolded the price band for the Innova

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Wossack wrote: »

It's perfectly legal for them to sell it without tax, but there's nothing stopping you getting tax as part of the purchase deal. It's the vehicle owners job to make sure they are road legal before driving on the road not the shops.

If that was the case then petrol stations or toll roads shouldn't let untaxed vehicles fill up or drive on them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement