Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SPIN 103.8 News

• 28-04-2010 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Tuning around earlier on the car radio i got the start of the news on Spin 1038 at 12.45 "And we start with Breaking News,Gordon Brown has been heard calling a woman a Biggot........." Like Why is this the first story on a Dublin Radio Station.There`s plenty going on in this Country Without Getting Breaking News from England.:mad::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭craoltoir

Maybe they have more listeners in Britain than here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

All political news requires Spin it seems.

:pac::pac::pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Bandscan wrote: »
    Tuning around earlier on the car radio i got the start of the news on Spin 1038 at 12.45 "And we start with Breaking News,Gordon Brown has been heard calling a woman a Biggot........." Like Why is this the first story on a Dublin Radio Station.There`s plenty going on in this Country Without Getting Breaking News from England.:mad::confused:

lol Irish people having a chip on their shoulder in 2010 about Britain

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Bandscan

rovert wrote: »
    lol Irish people having a chip on their shoulder in 2010 about Britain
    Not At All Rovert The Question was Why Was This The First News Story thats All.

Bandscan wrote: »
    Not At All Rovert The Question was Why Was This The First News Story thats All.

New listener to Spin are we?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Eh, I think the answer is in the question... it was the first story read because it was "breaking news" and (possibly) had just been given to the reader. (Either just handed to them on paper, or - more likely in the case of Spin - added to the feed on Burli with a flashing red highlight and dropped into the bulletin on the fly)

There is a certain amount of healthy competition among Dublin ILR's to be first with new stories.

Bard wrote: »
    Eh, I think the answer is in the question... it was the first story read because it was "breaking news" and (possibly) had just been given to the reader. (Either just handed to them on paper, or - more likely in the case of Spin - added to the feed on Burli with a flashing red highlight and dropped into the bulletin on the fly)

There is a certain amount of healthy competition among Dublin ILR's to be first with new stories.

Nope Spin editoral line is to put the whacky stiry first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Nope Spin editoral line is to put the whacky stiry first
    That's a bit of a sweeping statement that. Brown being the PM of a country which is about to hold a General Election calling a woman a bigot would be newsworthy.
    It was an editorial call and some stations tend to put certain items at the top of their list where others don't

That's a bit of a sweeping statement that. Brown being the PM of a country which is about to hold a General Election calling a woman a bigot would be newsworthy.
    It was an editorial call and some stations tend to put certain items at the top of their list where others don't

It is not a sweeping statement at all nor a criticism it is a youth radio station.
    It doesnt sound like youve much product knowledge about the station in fairness which such a generic answer.

Brown calling the woman a bigot wasn't a "whacky" story - it was the big story of the time - was also top story on Sky News. As Spiritoftheseventies said, it was an editorial call and was put first because it WAS newsworthy and, as they said in the bulletin, because it was a "breaking story" at the time.
    rovert wrote:
    It is not a sweeping statement at all nor a criticism it is a youth radio station.
    It doesnt sound like youve much product knowledge about the station in fairness which such a generic answer.

Typical response. There was nothing generic about his answer. Spin put stories first that their own sister station down the corridor from them wouldn't. Despite a lot of stations essentially doing news in the same way and stories in the same order, some stations DO do it differently from the general 'norm' - Spin being one.

You say their editorial policy is to put the "whacky" story first... (although there was very little "whacky" about the Brown/Bigot story).

On what do you base this alleged expertise of Spin's news team's policy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

The UK election is very important.

Maybe you should complain about Sports News they have on every channel every day. Or weather reports. There's some real non-news.

Typical response. There was nothing generic about his answer. Spin put stories first that their own sister station down the corridor from them wouldn't. Despite a lot of stations essentially doing news in the same way and stories in the same order, some stations DO do it differently from the general 'norm' - Spin being one.

You say their editorial policy is to put the "whacky" story first... (although there was very little "whacky" about the Brown/Bigot story).

On what do you base this alleged expertise of Spin's news team's policy?

Fairly antagonising post here, I dont know what your typical response line is all about.

It was a generic answer as it didnt relate to Spin specfically.

I never expressed expertise just product knowledge stop being so combative.

Fairly antagonising post here, I dont know what your typical response line is all about.

I'll tell you then, shall I?

The response that "oh if that's your attitude, you don't have much knowledge of the product" is fairly typical of certain users on certain forums when a conversation gets to a certain point. I'm not up with the lingo on whether such people are called "trolls" or what... to me it's just a typical arrogant reponse from a faceless forum user who seems to think they know it all. No offense intended, that's just how it comes across.

People are allowed have an opinion that's contrary to yours - doesn't mean they don't know anything about Spin, it just means they disagree with you.
    It was a generic answer as it didnt relate to Spin specfically.

If you're saying that because it was said that "some stations tend to put certain items at the top of their list where others don't" - sure, that was a general statement - but one that does relate to Spin in the context of the OP's question in this thread.

Many stations just tow the same line and do a "rip and read" from the newsfeeds, outputting practically the exact same news bulletins in more-or-less the same order.

Spin are one of a number who try to do it differently - and fair play to them.

You said: "Spin editoral line is to put the whacky stiry first" - which seemed to claim knowledge of Spin's editorial policy. That's very much different to "I have product knowledge", which basically means "I'm a Spin listener".

Oh - and I'm not being "combative", I'm arguing my point and disagreeing with yours... quite the norm on a discussion forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Fairly antagonising post here,

... to me it's just a typical arrogant reponse from a faceless forum user who seems to think they know it all. No offense intended, that's just how it comes across.

c'mon lads, you're both established, respected posters here. I don't think either of ye care enough about the issue to make it so personal, so just chill and agree to disagree.

Going by your conduct here you labelling people trolls is rather rich.

I did say anyone was wrong or didnt know anything about Spin? No
    Did I claim that I had expertise on their editoral line? No

My labelling of you as combative has nothing to do with your opinon, it has more to do how you addressed me here and how you consistently claim that Im saying things that Im not in this thread.
    tbh wrote: »
    c'mon lads, you're both established, respected posters here. I don't think either of ye care enough about the issue to make it so personal, so just chill and agree to disagree.

I generally like to adhere to mod warnings but this has nothing to do with agreeing or disagreeing with each other as stated above.

I did say anyone was wrong or didnt know anything about Spin? No

Eh, yes actually. Direct quote from you: "It doesnt sound like youve much product knowledge about the station in fairness"
    Did I claim that I had expertise on their editoral line? No

You said that "Spin editoral line is to put the whacky stiry first". I asked where your expertise came from that you knew that. No answer.
    My labelling of you as combative has nothing to do with your opinon, it has more to do how you addressed me here and how you consistently claim that Im saying things that Im not in this thread.

All I'm doing is disagreeing with you. Sorry if you see that as "combative".
    tbh wrote:

Agreed.

*faceplam*

Im not repeating myself to reply to your little dick dance here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

imagine me with my hands on the top of your heads, keeping you apart. seriously lads, this isn't worth getting into a sh1tfest over. It's a long weekend - relax and enjoy it. I'll reopen the thread on tues if anyone wants.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement