Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Gear v 5th Gear

Options
  • 28-04-2010 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭

Just wondering which one you prefer. I like both but am leaning more to 5th Gear for a few reasons.

1. Top gear are getting too wacky (although seeing a small city car go through the sewer in Belfast was very entertaining)

2. 5th gear do reviews of cars that I might actually one day drive.

3. The presenters on 5th Gear have more credibility as 2 of them are ex racing drivers. Top gear presenters just have opinions (not very good drivers)

4. For the most part Top gear presenters only ever compete against each other, 5th Gear presenters actually compete against people who are talented in their discipline.

5. Top gear is over edited for entertainment purposes. ie how likely is it when they race a car against some sort of public transport there is always about 30 seconds in it. (fairytale stuff)

Top Gear v 5th Gear 109 votes

Top Gear
    0% 0 votes
    5th Gear
    100% 109 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Two different shows, ones an entirely entertainment based show and the other is a factual based show.

So you cant really compare the two as there not like for like.

Top Gear is a better entertainment show whereas 5th gear is a better factual show simply because that is what they each target

Top Gear will surely win this, it's far more entertaining and the presenters have way more charisma. Having said that it's kind of jumped the shark recently.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

draffodx wrote: »
    Two different shows, ones an entirely entertainment based show and the other is a factual based show.

Top Gear is a better entertainment show whereas 5th gear is a better factual show simply because that what they each target

This!

Should be an option for liking both :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭VW 1

top gear all the way for me, although it may be over-edited for entertainment etc, i watch it for the entertainment it provides, as well as some of the exotic sports cars which are far better to watch imo than a 15 minute informative review of a boring family estate or a sensible 4 door saloon. i will concede that the programme has become slightly cheesey in the sense that you can almost tell what the presenter is going to say next, the lines have become to obviously scripted and much of the joking around has now become predictable with lines being used to set up the next punchline.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭STForSale

Top Gear is a better entertainment show whereas 5th gear is a better factual show simply because that is what they each target

What he said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Moved to Top Gear forum. If you want a more impartial opinion, the mod might move it to the general TV forum for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

+1

Two very different shows.

BTW I did not vote in the poll

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Moved from Top Gear, as I doubt you'll get a fair result there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I don't think it is an either or scenario

They are both different and I like both for different reasons

The poll lacks an Xcellerate option though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Top gear by a mile.

If I wanted factual telly I'd watch the history channel :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Has Jason Plato retired recently or something?

Top Gear is way more entertaining.

amacachi wrote: »
    Has Jason Plato retired recently or something?

From racing? If so no. Still racing in the BTCC and doing well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

h3000 wrote: »
    From racing? If so no. Still racing in the BTCC and doing well.
    I know, was being obtuse with the OP saying there's two retired racing drivers presenting Fifth Gear. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

5th Gear is for those who liked the fag end of the old TG.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,886 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Top Gear.... by a country mile!

amacachi wrote: »
    I know, was being obtuse with the OP saying there's two retired racing drivers presenting Fifth Gear. :pac:

AAAHHHHH
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Well 5th Gear's been cancelled so I think we already know who won!
    I always had a soft spot for it though except for that prat Jason Plato.

eamon234 wrote: »
    Well 5th Gear's been cancelled

Not anymore, Fifth Gear is due back in June.

Top Gear will surely win this, it's far more entertaining and the presenters have way more charisma. Having said that it's kind of jumped the shark recently.

Ah please?! all those little mock arguments and slagging matches they have?

*cringe*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Top Gear is far better, in fact, I don't bother watching 5th gear, it's dull

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Ah please?! all those little mock arguments and slagging matches they have?

*cringe*

Script option 1:
    Clarkson wins a challenge - does that "L" for loser thing with his fingers on his forehead and/or slag Hammond about height.

Script option 2:
    Clarkson loses a challenge - mutters that he lost until Hammond makes him say it loudly.

I like the entertainment aspect of it, but I wish they wouldn't try and make it seem adlibbed when it clearly isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Script option 2 is incorrect because generally Jeremy says "actually I won" and then somehow talks enough crap that the other two agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Soooo true :D

SA_0532_small.jpg

5th gear is more like top gear when it started in the 70s. top gear now while it can be good on occasions is idiotic on most. wtf does that james may get so many gigs for? imagine wasting license payers money but getting this jackass to build a lifesize lego house.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

5th gear is more like top gear when it started in the 70s. top gear now while it can be good on occasions is idiotic on most. wtf does that james may get so many gigs for? imagine wasting license payers money but getting this jackass to build a lifesize lego house.
    :eek: How dare you! James May is a legend.

Richard Hammond is the jackass

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

If im sitting at home on a Tuesday morning in my pants and want to see an informative review of a hatchback ill watch 5th Gear.
    If im sitting at home of a Sunday evening in my pants and want some supercar themed entertainment before I head for a quiet pint, Ill watch Top Gear.

Actually, I d probably go with Top Gear on the Tuesday morning too! :p

It does have some serious stuff in there, especially when James May is reviewing, or even Hammond. But they need to reign in the crazy stunts and try to balance it more. A good Top Gear episode for me is race with budget / classic cars, a good informative review of a car I might actually be able to purchase, a review of a supercar, and a good star in the reasonably priced car. They can keep the caravan crushing / Artic lorry racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭WaltKowalski

As a woman who has no interest in cars - I prefer Top Gear because of its humour.
    Although it's becoming too polished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

h3000 wrote: »
    Not anymore, Fifth Gear is due back in June.

Really? That's good news (unless Plato's back!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Top Gear all the way!! I love there wittyness they are so much funnier than 5th gear and besides they have got the STIG!!! No competion!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Top Gear in it's new format was great from 2002-2005. Since then it's become more and more annoying. I still watch it, but that's only because there's nothing better on......

Advertisement