Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early riser

Options
  • 28-04-2010 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Looking for any advise or tips.

We've a 22 month old boy who wakes at 6:15 every morning, and its driving us mad. He used to wake up in his room and be quite happy to sit and play look though a book or play. We could some times get till 8am at the weekend with out him coming in.:D But the past few weeks. he is either in our room, or our daughters (nearly 4) So either we get woken or she does.

They both go up around 7pm and he'll have a hour nap in the day. But even a later bed time makes no change. Last night for instance, we had one of those nightmare bed times as he was messing and didn't get to sleep until about 9:45, but then up at 6:20 this morning. Wide awake!

Any thoughts, apart from Gaffa tape, locked door, or small glass of whisky. All of which I have been informed are illegal....

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Does the room get bright at that time and wake him up or does the heating come on then and make noise?

Our 30 month olds started doing that a while back so we had to push back bedtime to 8 from 7 and now they sleep until after 7am. Took a few nights to establish that routine though.
    Now if one of them wakes early, the other one tells him to be quiet and go back to sleep which they do ...happy days :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

Cheers Ludo,

There is a black out blind, but its not pitch black. Even when the clocks changed we thought it would be great as it would mean him waking at 7:30. Nope! It was not to be, 6:30 on the dot the sunday the clocks changed. I beginning to think he is hooked up to Greenwich some how!

NO heating comes on at that time!

Glad your sorted though........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I have a 7yr old like this, no matter what time she sleeps at she gets up early. Yesterday was the first day in years we had to wake her up for school.

I'd make sure that the bed is extra confy, snug blankets etc, we all know we want to stay in bed longer when its cosy. I'd push the bed time back and wean off the daytime naps if possible. My little one, after the age of around 18mths, was not allowed a nap after 2. I found that if she napped late she slept less through the night.

The other option is tv in the room for when the child wakes to keep them content playing with toys and watching tv without you having to get up physically. Our daughter had a tv in her room from an early age and she would have been like yours, waking from around 6ish but the tv was turned on to cbeebies and she played with toys, we'd always stay awake but at least we werent going around the house like zombies. I found cbeebies to be the best as she would be watching educational programs too and used to find it hilarious when shed run in to tell me what she was watching, i.e. 'mammy, mammy guess what' - what baby?- 'milk comes from cows!!!!!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I think I posted something similar on here when my youngest was that age except he was awke at 5.45am. The bad news is he's 5 now and still the same! Well.... pre 6am would be rare but the norm can be anywhere between 6-7. It makes no difference whether he goes to sleep at 8pm or 11pm. He's just an early bird and thats that. Blackout blinds, tiring him out before bed, bath... routine etc etc.... nothing has ever made a blind bit of difference. Sometimes now he'll sit on the stairs reading by himself but wouldn't go downstairs by himself. Sometimes I'll go down and give him breakfast and stick on the telly for him and go back to bed myself.

Sorry for the bleak outlook :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭tscul32

Same as littlebug - 2y and 4y both up around 6.30 every day. Occasionally 7, more occasionally 6 (or 5.30/5.45) and nothing has worked. Later bedtime results in cranky kids next day. Dark room, bright room, door open, door closed, warmer, colder - tried 'em all. Even got one of those clocks, when Thomas is asleep, you've to go back to sleep, but they can't resist buttons and sure they had all the timings changed before the went to sleep. Anyway, they're awake awake, so nothing will get them back to sleep. Just early risers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

My 22 month old started to wake really early about 6 weeks ago and like yours even the clock change didn't make a difference. I am lucky as he recently stopped coming into our room in the middle of the night, so he's still in his cot when he wakes. I spent a few mornings up at 6 but I am 20 weeks pg so I just couldn't handle. Now when I hear him sqawking from his room and it's any time before 7 I just roll over and leave him to it!! He has some books in the end of the his bed and then he entertains himself by throwing his duvet and pillow out of the cot.

At the weekend I've been stealing some extra sleep time by setting up the laptop beside his bed with a Mickey Mouse DVD. Not model parenting I know but you do what you have to....

AND also I find that the nights that he goes to bed "late" i.e. after 8 he'll invariably wake early, whereas one night last week I bundled him off even before half 7 and he slept right through til 8.15am!! It's a conundrum!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭tscul32

lashinglady - that's why mine go to bed at 7/7.30. It used to be closer to 8 but the older one was waking earlier and earlier. When it reached 4.45 one morning, we tried the last thing which was bed earlier. Back to 6am starts.
    At the weekend I'll stick on the tv for him downstairs and he'll go down. Problem is that mine share a room and when one wakes, the other is usually awake within 20 mins. And the two of them together are more than twice as devious, so one of us gets up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

My daughter is the same. As a toddler she'd sleep until 10am or even 11am.

But once she turned 3 it was 7am every morning without fail. No matter how late she was up the night before, she was up at 7am the next morning. Even with the clocks changing.

She went to bed at 7pm until last year (aged 6) and she now goes at 8pm to 8.30pm(aged 7). She's still up at 7am though!

But now she heads downstairs, grabs a banana and leaves me in peace until about 9am at the weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

So it look like I'm just going to have to adjust my body clock and get up when he does. If you can't beat em.....

Its only 30 minutes before we get up, and maybe we've just got it into our heads, that 30 minutes is sooo important!

Thanks for all the feed back and experiences..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

My daughter is the same.
    Up until the clocks changed slept till 8 o clock most mornings, she was as active as a council worker around a pothole, now she is like Bill Cullen up at the crack of dawn and has a days play done by eight.
    We bit the bullet and bring her into bed tell her stories and play games with her, and she is content to stay there till 9am pottering about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Same here, 2 year old in bed around 8.30 p.m and awake around 7 a.m. Just assumed it's the norm. Peppa Pig time........:)

Advertisement