Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving up to Castlebar

Options
  • 28-04-2010 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    Just want a bit of info- i may be getting a promotion at work which is based in Castlebar. I will be moving up but will be home to cork most weeknds, mon - fri job.

Whats is castlebar like as a town? i hear its not the most lively town which suits me fine as i will be home most weekends as my partner is based in cork.

Is there another option rather than driving home every week , i know there is knock airport but i dont think there is any flights to cork? The train is longer than the drive- thanks irishrail!! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Am afraid you are caught, was in a similar situation for 4 years, had to drive oppossite route but the joy of this wonderful country means road is the fastest route.

New gort bypass due to open should reduce time a bit though

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Castlebar is OK, busy with a good selection of shops and services. Not far from the coast and some lovely scenery. Ireland West Airport is close by for flights to UK/Spain, about 3hr by road/train to Dublin. The nightlife has gone down hill over the years though and not the nicest town to look at.

Westport is under 20 minutes drive and far nicer town to live in, with a better selection of restaurants and nightlife.

Manx2 have just launched flights from Galway to Cork, so you're in luck, just over an hour drive to Galway on the awful N84.

http://www.manx2blog.com/2010/04/manx2-com-to-introduce-cork-to-galway-air-link/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Live in westport! best town in Mayo. Castlebar is ok, its developed a lot in the last 5 years. Has the only McDonalds in Mayo...!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Have lived both in c'bar & westport....

Westport FTW !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭claireycork

Is wesport closer to Cork or is Castlebar?? Thats brilliant about the flights from cork to Galway, makes it a bit easier on the drive. What is the drive from Wesport to Castlebar like, traffic wise in the mornings/evenings? Thanks for you help guys :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Hi claire,

You would be going back through Castlebar if travelling from Westport to Cork....though haven't said that if leaving on a Friday you can go straight from work anyway.

Westport more attractive place to live than Castlebar as it has better pubs, restaurants, walks, scenery and more livelier in general.

Alternatively, if you wanted to be closer to home you could live in South Mayo.....Claremorris etc.

Commuting is not as bad as it was as traffic is quieter in am and pm with less traffic.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭oicherider

Hey..

Lived in a village outside Castlebar.. not a bad town - You will find that Mayo people are pretty sound too.. Westport is by far a nicer town - Would remind you of the kindom which as a corkonian I am sure you will appreciate :D Much better nightlife and plenty of tourists!

Coxs is also a kerry pub in the town which im sure will help you feel at home.. TBH id say your other half will be making a good few of the trips as it is a bit of a trek!!

There are a few decent restaraunts, cinema, a few decent pubs and like I said the Mayo crowd are not the worst.. It'll be a major change from Cork but you could land in a lot worse places..

You can send me a private message if you want any further info on the area

Best of luck anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

As someone stuck here in Castlebar for the next few years .... whatever you do DO NOT MOVE TO THIS TOWN!

I cannot think of a single thing to make moving from Cork to this god forsaken place worth the hassle.

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

Im a native and i fully agree with the previous poster. TBH, i wouldnt advise anyone to move here as its the same as any other useless town you have ever been in, stay in Cork if you can...

If you have your mind made up and are only here during the week id say Castlebar would be the best place to live as the rents are lower and you wouldnt have to commute to work

Samhain wrote: »
    Im a native and i fully agree with the previous poster. TBH, i wouldnt advise anyone to move here as its the same as any other useless town you have ever been in, stay in Cork if you can...

If you have your mind made up and are only here during the week id say Castlebar would be the best place to live as the rents are lower and you wouldnt have to commute to work

I come from a small old style town in cork with no tescos or dunnes etc in sight, so i am used to boring towns. Its mainly work and for cheap living..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

StudentDad wrote: »
    As someone stuck here in Castlebar for the next few years .... whatever you do DO NOT MOVE TO THIS TOWN!

I cannot think of a single thing to make moving from Cork to this god forsaken place worth the hassle.

SD

How are you stuck in Castlebar? If you really think its that bad you would find a way to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

jenno86 wrote: »
    How are you stuck in Castlebar? If you really think its that bad you would find a way to get out.

Trust me I am :)

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

StudentDad wrote: »
    Trust me I am :)

SD

Is there a prison in Castlebar? No. Are you under house arrest or something?

Castlebar isn't the best place around but its OK, better than 'StudentDad' makes it out to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Not a bad town at all. Im from mayo & would have to travel to castlebar for some services. Its the county town, has been developed significantly during the boom & has reasonable shops, services etc. Coming from a small town, Id say castlebar should be more than acceptable.
    Best option might be to live in castlebar seeing as you will be working there & head to westport if you happen to stay around for the odd weekend.

mickdw wrote: »
    Not a bad town at all. Im from mayo & would have to travel to castlebar for some services. Its the county town, has been developed significantly during the boom & has reasonable shops, services etc. Coming from a small town, Id say castlebar should be more than acceptable.
    Best option might be to live in castlebar seeing as you will be working there & head to westport if you happen to stay around for the odd weekend.

Is Castlebar good at the weekends? Or is there more options in westport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Both towns have some good pubs and late bars, I wouldn't be too pushed on the nightclubs of either though.
    They are very close, about 15 minute drive between them and there are buses running over and back every saturday night for €5 si it's easy to go between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

You obviously haven't read the thread on castlebars nighlife!Wesrports is much better during the summer anyway,don't know what it would be like for the rest of the year though.

Advertisement