Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I be a trustee of my own pension fund while claiming PHI

Options
  • 28-04-2010 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

To facilitate the management of my Pension Fund. I am thinking of being made a trustee on my Executive Pension Fund (Single Member), my employers should have no problems with this as all contributions are now paid for by my Permanent Health Insurance Claim (PHI)
    I am on PHI benefit at present due to a long term illness and my "Tied" advisor has said maybe the Insurance Co could view me acting as trustee as that i am capable of work and try to use this as a reason for not paying the PHI claim.

This seems like a crazy assumption, he was only suggsting it may be an issue as he wants to protect my existing benefits and not see me do anything that could be detrimental to this.
    As far as i can see that is like saying because i manage my own bank account i am capable of working!!!

Surely this can not be a way out for an Insurance company -

While one can be unable to work due to illness just because you act as trustee on your own pension fund does not mean you an carry out normal/regular work. Being a trustee is not exactly a full time job but i want to have some control over the operation of my pension fund and being a trustee seems the best way of making sure everytihing is done in my interest and no one elses. Again this is a single member executive scheme

Any advice appreciated

Basically I need to know if i am a trustee can this be deemed as being able to work and so give them reason to contest my PHI Claim which they are already paying

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

sounds like questions for an expert in the area, not strangers on the interweb tbh

Advertisement