Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any chance you may know? - Cat query

Options
  • 28-04-2010 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

Does anyone know what breed of cat this is? I have one since he was a kitten. Also his hair has become very matted and knotted especially under his belly. Is there anyway I could get rid of these knots?

Thanks in advance!

P.S this is not my cat in the picture but may as well be as they are identical!

lazzzy cat.bmp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I dont know a whole lot about cats but could be some sort of Persian maybe? A persian blue?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

It looks like a maine coon (we have one) or a maine coon cross.

As for the knots-try washing the cat so the hair becomes softer and parts easier. You can also cut away the knotted hair with a scissors or shave the hair away. Be careful not to cut the cat when doing so. The hair will grow back quickly. However to prevent the knots from forming again you will have to brush the cat daily and give it a bath once in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Definitely looks like a persian to me. Well maybe a persian cross. I'd like to see a picture of the real cat though!

Also almost identical to my cat. I found him at about 12 weeks old (with a badly infected eye ulcer thing, hence the way his eye looks now) and I thought he might be half persian and the vet thought so too . . . I'd be interested to see if any persian owners agree with me though!

The thing about persian's fur is (I think) their under coat is as long as the outer coat so they are very soft and fluffy, compared to some other longhaired cats who have sleeker fur. My cat's fur seems very persian to me . . . and blue is a common colour for persians I think. Luckily my one grooms himself brilliantly but he still loves to be brushed :)

Here's my cat! (on the right) It's not the best pic to show off his fur but he's very fluffy. Not quite as longhaired as some persians I've seen, but he's outdoors alot and it's longer in the winter

reggie.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We have two long hairs; ancestry unknown.

I used to worry re the matted fur, but find they sort it themselves. It always seems bad at this time of year as they are shedding.

My two are bad just now. Am snipping a few mats as they start to detach.

It is incredible easy to cut the skin; I looked it up online...

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

Thanks for the replies guys!

Il see if i can find a pic of him.

He is from a litter of four - this gets good....
    His mother is a black cat crossed with a ginger cat - I took her in when she was two days old. Night feeds etc.
    He has one ginger brother and 2 pure black siblings as well.

Basically the mammy had fun with a grey cat and she produced this litter!
    So he is definitely a cross. I rehomed the two black kittens and I currently have the mammy, the grey and the ginger. Mammy is now neutured!

Persian.. interesting. He is a beautiful cat. His hair is long and very very soft - like a duster!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Hard to tell from the angle the photo is taken with the cat on the couch.

A photo that shows body shape, head shape and tail shape would be good if you're snapping your own cat.

The cat on the couch - as builttospill says, the furry toes would be a Maine Coon trait, but if the cat has immediate maine coon parentage I'd expect it to be very large with some other coonie traits. Most long haired cats have furry toes, so that includes persians, ragdolls, birmans, somalis...

The facial colour with the dense blue nose is reminiscent of a russian blue or a blue british shorthair, but if it had brit ancestry they also have a very distinctive body and head shape and I'd expect more than just the colour to have come through.

Stick up two pics of your cat and we'll have a guess - one front on, one side on, if possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

You're the lucky owner of a DLH...Domestic Long Hair! The siblings look nothing like him and the Mammy doesnt look him, you've got a nice moggie mix there. No point in guessing a "breed" tbh but gorgeous either way.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

anniehoo wrote: »
    You're the lucky owner of a DLH...Domestic Long Hair! The siblings look nothing like him and the Mammy doesnt look him, you've got a nice moggie mix there. No point in guessing a "breed" tbh but gorgeous either way.:)

Yeah, that too, but sometimes it's fun to try and guess what fancy schmancy origins your moggy might have... :D

There's another thread on here about a company that will do DNA tests on your dog to see what breed they are, so I wonder if they do cats too?

Blue (grey) is a diluted form of black, so black cats would often have blue babies. And both parents could have been shorthaired and still had one longhaired kitten, or the dad could have been longhaired.

Does he have big round eyes? Is his face kinda a bit rounder than normal cats, with a slightly shortened muzzle/nose? The same for his littermates. Persian's have "cobby" bodies, which I think means kinda short but thick legs. They also have fur between the toes. They often have really yellow eyes too. I'm not an expert on Persians or anything but they are some of the features of them . . . I think. :)

If his fur is really long and matted and you can't cut it out, then I'd suggest taking him to the groomers or to the vet to be sedated and have it shaved. That was you can start over. If you comb it once a week it should be fine. Or just keep trying to comb the matts, until they hopefully moult out.

morganafay wrote: »
    There's another thread on here about a company that will do DNA tests on your dog to see what breed they are, so I wonder if they do cats too?

Blue (grey) is a diluted form of black, so black cats would often have blue babies. And both parents could have been shorthaired and still had one longhaired kitten, or the dad could have been longhaired.

Does he have big round eyes? Is his face kinda a bit rounder than normal cats, with a slightly shortened muzzle/nose? The same for his littermates. Persian's have "cobby" bodies, which I think means kinda short but thick legs. They also have fur between the toes. They often have really yellow eyes too. I'm not an expert on Persians or anything but they are some of the features of them . . . I think. :)

If his fur is really long and matted and you can't cut it out, then I'd suggest taking him to the groomers or to the vet to be sedated and have it shaved. That was you can start over. If you comb it once a week it should be fine. Or just keep trying to comb the matts, until they hopefully moult out.

It is the under parts that matt; the first time I found it I was appalled so I googled it and saw the lengths some go to over this.

I started tackling it; the skin is so thin and always if cat moves..... Mine are very docile thankfully.

Then I was ill and left it a couple of days , and when I picked the cat up, all the matted fur on her belly was gone.

So now I leave it to them. Sometimes a matt that is part detached will get snipped off. They are better at the work than we are....

Mine were rescues ; a third one in the litter was short haired. They have huge yellow eyes.. The tails are amazing, like squirrels. Black tails; some white on their bodies.

download?mid=1%5f307733%5f39%5f37461%5f0%5fADIlvs4AAOrUSJHcKgNsOj%2bwqLA&pid=1.2&fid=%2540S%2540Search&inline=1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I was minding a long haired cat before, and found the easiest thing for mats was just to wait til the cat was asleep, and then to just snip off the top of the mat (don't try to cut it away from the skin). When the top of the knot was snipped off, the mat tended to work itself out - either by the cat itself or by me with a brush.

This technique has ensured the cat has never been injured - however, I cannot say the same for myself. (Nice swipe that drew blood when the cat woke up & decided it wanted to KEEP its mats).

MsFifers wrote: »
    I was minding a long haired cat before, and found the easiest thing for mats was just to wait til the cat was asleep, and then to just snip off the top of the mat (don't try to cut it away from the skin). When the top of the knot was snipped off, the mat tended to work itself out - either by the cat itself or by me with a brush.

This technique has ensured the cat has never been injured - however, I cannot say the same for myself. (Nice swipe that drew blood when the cat woke up & decided it wanted to KEEP its mats).

:D

Often happens!

I try that too; getting nearer without getting too close to the skin lest a sudden move by the cat shifts the scissors. We are too far away from anay vet to take chances. Apparently a cat's skin is thin and once pierced will keep tearing.

My two love being handled but even so a squirm of sheer pleasure can happen.

I honestly would not put them through the stress of being sedated etc.

I am going to give it another few weeks to sort itself out. If it doesn't I think i will have to bring him to a groomers. It is ridiculous at this stage and Im afraid the knots would tighten the skin and be hurting the cat.

He has different eyes to the other cats, very distintive. He is very big in body. Here are two pics of the them:

First one is of the mammy and kittens - as you can see quite a mix!
    Family.JPG

And this one is him - about two days after his eyes opened

Shrek.JPG

I dont have a current photo of him but I will try and take a few so it may help in the guessing. Plus it will show how his hair is matted!

Yeah as I said previously I think it could be a maine coon cross. The big body and paws are all traits and its head isn't too dissimilar. I'd need to see an up to date pic to be sure.

As I mentioned cut the knots out. Just be sure not to cut the cat.

Does he have tufts on his ears? And can you weigh him? I think Maine Coons have tufts on top of their ears, and they're huge.

Yeah as I said previously I think it could be a maine coon cross. The big body and paws are all traits and its head isn't too dissimilar. I'd need to see an up to date pic to be sure.

As I mentioned cut the knots out. Just be sure not to cut the cat.

Il have to get someone to hold him. When i pick him up he stays completely still but takes the odd chance to get away! The other cats want nothing but to be picked up and rubbed. He is nothing like his mother or brother with regards to personality.
    Does he have tufts on his ears? And can you weigh him? I think Maine Coons have tufts on top of their ears, and they're huge.

Tufts? On or in the ears? He has long hair in the ears which comes out and on his face and well really everywhere!!

Il take a picture of him this evening and post. Am really interested in finding out what he is and sort out this grooming issue.

One previous poster suggested washing him.... Would that distress him, as I thought cats hated water?

Depends on the cat and breed but if you get him used to water at an early age then he could be ok with it. Our maine coon walks around in the bath no problem cos we've been washing her from 15 weeks on. Most cats do hate it though.

What you should do is google pictures of the cats that have been mentioned here and see if you can come to some of your own conclusions, post a pic later so we can form a better opinion or have the cat tested to see what breed it comes from.

I'm pretty sure it is a mixed breed anyway.

So took a few pictures and these two are the best (of a bad lot!):

Shrek 30.04.100.jpg
    Shrek 30.04.1000.jpg

And then for comparison... his ginger brother!:

Ninja 30.044.jpg

Im thinking he definitely has persian blue in him.

I'd still say he's maybe part persian or something. His colouring and hair. He looks so like my cat Hobo! Only my cat has a kinda shorter face.

Maine Coone's have like tufts on the tips of the outside of the ear I think?

He probably won't like being bathed, but he'll probably put up with it if you do it really quickly. He might meow and stuff, but it'd probably be good for him. Also you can get cheap dog clippers in Argos and you could use those to clip off the matts, it'd be safer than scissors. :) I think they're about 20-25 euro or something? Just pull the matt away from the skin gently, and try to clip as close to the skin as you can. If you feel confident enough to :) it's quite easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

It just looks like a normal long haired cat. No mixes in there but, It is unusual.

I have heard something about kittens in one litter may not always have the same daddy cat, never looked into how much truth their is in this. Possible that this could be the situation here, if it's possible.

• Advertisement

There's no way that cat is part persian. I mean go onto google/youtube and look at pictures and videos of persians. I thought it was a bit strange when a few people suggested it could be persian. As I said it's a mix breed but if anything it could be a maine coon cross or Norwegian forest cat cross, descended from a maine coon or Norwegian forest cat maybe a few generations ago. Everything points towards this-its face, the longer haired collar around the chest area, big paws, long hair, big body. Check out pictures/videos of Norwegian forest cats and maine coons on google/youtube. Its ears aren't as big as a maine coon because obviously previous generations have bred with domestic shorthairs. This is evident when you see your cat's sibling.

I was just thinking of the colour and quality of the fur, but I don't know THAT much about persians. I just thought that doll faced persians don't have extremely squashed faces, and he could have inherited the normal face but the persian fur? He could just be a mixed breed. He could have a little bit of a purebreed in him somewhere back. Also persians are much more popular than maine coones or norweigian forest cats, right? Like there'd be more chance that there could have been one around. But yeah, someone who owns persians would know much better . . .

Kittens in the same litter can indeed have different daddies :) Cats are induced ovulators, so when they mate with a tom cat they ovulate, and then they might mate with several other tom cats. That's what I've read anyway.

I've never had litters of kittens that looked dramatically different, as far as I remember right now, but there were never that many unneutered tom cats around my house cos I lived in the country.

If the two parents are short haired, but carry the long haired gene, then there will be about 1 in 4 long haired babies. I know someone who had two short haired cats who always mated with each other, and every litter was always 4 and there was always one long haired baby!

I was just thinking of the colour and quality of the fur, but I don't know THAT much about persians. I just thought that doll faced persians don't have extremely squashed faces, and he could have inherited the normal face but the persian fur? He could just be a mixed breed. He could have a little bit of a purebreed in him somewhere back. Also persians are much more popular than maine coones or norweigian forest cats, right? Like there'd be more chance that there could have been one around. But yeah, someone who owns persians would know much better . . .

Kittens in the same litter can indeed have different daddies :) Cats are induced ovulators, so when they mate with a tom cat they ovulate, and then they might mate with several other tom cats. That's what I've read anyway.

I've never had litters of kittens that looked dramatically different, as far as I remember right now, but there were never that many unneutered tom cats around my house cos I lived in the country.

If the two parents are short haired, but carry the long haired gene, then there will be about 1 in 4 long haired babies. I know someone who had two short haired cats who always mated with each other, and every litter was always 4 and there was always one long haired baby!

If it did have some persian in him I'd expect more charteristics than just the fur. Doll faced cats still have a kind of flat face not as bad but it's still obviously flat. The nose on this cat looks quite pointed.

I kind of had to laugh, looking up the characterstics of the persians my cat shares a far few of them. His nose seems to be shorter than most cats (but no flat face) his ears are further apart and small, he kind of has the temperment(very much a lap cat, give a guess where he is now!) long hair too. There's too many thing with him that aren't any thing like persians, his long hair it's longest on cheeks, tail and inbetween his toes but the rest of it is shorter and thinner(but still long).

Chances are high that there is no persian cat in there, in fairness theres loads more dlh/dsh than there are purebreeds roaming around. I mean what owner of a purebreed is going to let their unneutered male cat out to roam where it could pick up fiv or get hit by a car. I'm not saying anything about letting cats out but if you were a breeder or had a show cat you'd do everything to keep the cats safe and healthy, if you were an owner of one of these wouldn't it be neutered?

Saying all that I think the traits domestic animals get is really interesting and I'd love to know more about it.

Big round eyes were mentioned, I just have to say I had a cat with huge round eyes, sometimes it was the first thing people commented on, and for a three legged cat that was something! She always got 'oh my god, its only got three legs' either before or after the eye comment. My granny called her Owl too!

Yeah he could be anything, you never really know though. I know a breeder wouldn't let their cat wander, but someone who just has a persian might.

I still wonder if my cat is part persian, since he was abandoned so I have no idea where he came from. And a few people who have persians have said he looks exactly like their cat. Someone whose sister has loads of persians asked me if he was persian and someone else with 8 doll faces persians said he definitely look part persian. And I saw a pedigree doll faced persian who looked exactly like him only smaller and a little more angry looking :) He also has the temperament, totally laid back, loves cuddles, really placid, also will do the thing that Ragdolls do where they go totally limp when picked up and will lie like a baby in your arms . . . but then again, he's probably just a normal long haired cat :P Either way, he's just as nice.

Yeah he could be anything, you never really know though. I know a breeder wouldn't let their cat wander, but someone who just has a persian might.

I still wonder if my cat is part persian, since he was abandoned so I have no idea where he came from. And a few people who have persians have said he looks exactly like their cat. Someone whose sister has loads of persians asked me if he was persian and someone else with 8 doll faces persians said he definitely look part persian. And I saw a pedigree doll faced persian who looked exactly like him only smaller and a little more angry looking :) He also has the temperament, totally laid back, loves cuddles, really placid, also will do the thing that Ragdolls do where they go totally limp when picked up and will lie like a baby in your arms . . . but then again, he's probably just a normal long haired cat :P Either way, he's just as nice.

I agree it really doesn't matter where the cat is from, they're still great and adorable. I have a thing about weird things in cats I was almost going to adopt on with a curly tail. It wasn't piglet curly, 1/3 of it was flat along the back then it curled around. It's a normal trait that can happen in any cat, not connected to a breed at all. Some cats can have piglet curly as well. (tail wasn't broken either and the cat could move it around fine but this was the natural position for the tail)

I am really interested in these traits and how genes are passed. So far I don't know much about it.

Orla K wrote: »
    I agree it really doesn't matter where the cat is from, they're still great and adorable. I have a thing about weird things in cats I was almost going to adopt on with a curly tail. It wasn't piglet curly, 1/3 of it was flat along the back then it curled around. It's a normal trait that can happen in any cat, not connected to a breed at all. Some cats can have piglet curly as well. (tail wasn't broken either and the cat could move it around fine but this was the natural position for the tail)

I am really interested in these traits and how genes are passed. So far I don't know much about it.

Really, I've never heard of that, that's kinda cool :) I thought I knew every kind of weird cat thing! :D

Really, I've never heard of that, that's kinda cool :) I thought I knew every kind of weird cat thing! :D

I know I thought that it was broken at first but no.

It was kind of like the first cat on this website

That's really cute! It'll probably be a new breed in no time :rolleyes:

Advertisement