Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange Phone call

• 28-04-2010 2:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭

I just spent the last seven minutes on a call from some fella saying hes from microsoft and he can fix my pc.

Told me to go into computer management
    Then to look for red and yellow warnings
    Then said am I connected to the internet and that they would help fix my pc, once they connected to my pc.

Asking me do I download and what sites I go onto to, telling me my pc could stop working in a week or a few weeks.

Number they called from was 001215

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

did you let them connect to your PC? Did you install any software that they asked you to?

If no to both then you're ok.

Bloody strange call tho. Is this a new form of phishing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭jeffk

No and no.

Im well up on pcs, well as well as I need to be if you get me. They have me looking at all these errors, I looked at them before, but my pcs working away ok, so ill leave well alone.

I had a call from this number the other night, my parents answer the phone and most of the time its out of the cradle, so they dont look @ the numbers. The other night it was just dead when my Mam picked it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭jeffk

Jaysus you would feel sorry for people caught out on it.

Like a more technical version of the ole scare people into buying something ala sorry love you need new brakes or you and the kids will die.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 balla

I'm getting these calls from 001215 for ages, but there's never anyone there. They must use an automated dialler so there's often no scammer available to take the call when it's answered.

I just got one now and I phoned Vodafone (landline provider) but apparently there's nothing they can do! They can't block numbers globally or even to my number. I'm sure it's hardly rocket science!! Some phone service!

I almost wish these callers would speak and try to sell me their scam. I usually spend a good 15 mins going along with these type of callers and tell them that I'd love to enter a competition, etc, but that I don't understand why they want my credit card, but I offer it anyway. Then when they think they've struck gold I ask if they think I'm completely stupid. They always hang up straight away. It's great to waste their time. Might make them think twice about doing that job.

If more people wasted their time like that they mightn't be so keen to work as scammers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

I've noticed a few missed calls on the aul landline at home from this number... 001215. I always wondered who it was... Now i know not to answer!

Thanks!

Advertisement