Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear Factory Academy Aug 2nd

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

Boys do ye reckon they'll be selling tickets on the door??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

you should be fine tickets still available on Ticketmaster.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

If your in Athlone I know someone who might sell you a ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

lewis wrote: »
    If your in Athlone I know someone who might sell you a ticket?

Im not Lewis, cheers for the info though, NIBBS hopefully ill be able to get them on the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Wish I was going to this tonight :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Should be a good gig!

I expect pain in the pit, both receiving and giving! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

lewis wrote: »
    Anyone one getting to the gig from Athlone and back, I`ve a friend that has no way of getting up, so if anyone know`s of anyway or even themselfs going from Athlone let me know, cheers!!

Funny, I met Dino on Saturday at Sonisphere, had the usual exchange of banter about great FF was and the guy standing next to him was a guy from Athlone. Says there's a big following for the band there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

Holy jesus, The Academy is tiny. Expect Gojira at Whelans all over again.

FEAR FACTORY FECKIN ROCKED, IT WAS THE BEST €22 I EVER SPENT!!!:D:):cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Enjoyed this gig. Was an all round good night. Sound was good. Fear Factory were fervent and as good as you could expect and the setlist was most appropriate (though conspicuously missing Archetype material, for obvious reasons). Byron Stroud and Gene Hoglan were more than proficient in their respective roles also. Would've welcomed a few more songs to the setlist.

:)

I say gents, cracking show. I was expecting the same setlist as has been played before on the US leg of their tour, so I was a little thrown off by the extra Soul of a New Machine song and there being no encore, although I did enjoy the Ghostbusters song for clearout music. Also, WHERE THE FVCKS ME FINAL EXIT?

Yeah I never noticed that, the most prolific song on the whole NEW cd and they did`nt do it, *****!!! Only messing was still a deadly night...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

T'was good craic alright, I've a black eye this morning from being in the heat of the pits! Arms are fecked too!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

First the bad points:

Why, given that merchandising is so important to bands these days was there a sum total of 2 t-shirts available in medium by the time I got there (just after 8)? Plus neither t-shirt had tourdates. Now, I still bought them but I felt the range of available merchandise was poor. I think the only non-shirt item there was Gene Hoglan's DVD. Why couldn't the band have gotten the album they are touring to promote on sale in the venue?

I'm just going to be blunt - the setlist was a bit crap. No Pisschrist, Resurrection, Descent, Final Exit, Timelessness or Invisible Wounds? Instead we got four songs (two from Digimortal and two from Soul of a New Machine) which I would have happily thrown off the list to make room for one of the aformentioned missing ones. I also thought they could have played more stuff from the Mechanize album.

The first few songs were great, the place was really energetic and then splat, the first of the songs from Digimortal came on and I know I wasn't the only one going "WTF?". Then I got some clown's elbow in the side of my head which didn't help my humour :).

I've heard on various live recordings that Burt's clean vocals can be quite poor but I suppose that's going to happen if you're trying to combine growls, screams and clean vocals in the same song.

No encore.

Why did they only play for 1hr 15mins. Was it down to licensing laws? It's not like they didn't have enough material to keep playing for a bit longer.

Now the good points:

The songs they did play were pretty much nailed on. Gene Hoglan and Byron Stroud look and sound like they have been part of the band for years (although in Stroud's case that's true as he's been part of the band since 2004). There were a few little embelishments done by Gene Hoglan that sounded great. Dino of course was Dino, making blasting out machine gun riffs look easy.

The band looked and sounded like they enjoyed themselves and I'll definitely be heading to their next Irish gig which Burt promised us won't be too long in coming!

Pics and a short video to follow once I get them uploaded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

amazing gig, set list was strange but great none the less.

Malice_ wrote: »
    I'm just going to be blunt - the setlist was a bit crap. No Pisschrist, Resurrection, Descent, Final Exit, Timelessness or Invisible Wounds? Instead we got four songs (two from Digimortal and two from Soul of a New Machine) which I would have happily thrown off the list to make room for one of the aformentioned missing ones. I also thought they could have played more stuff from the Mechanize album.

I think this has a lot to do with the legal battle the band are fighting. Christian Olde Wolbers and Raymond Herrera legally dispute that the band is Fear Factory because neither of them officially left, rather Burton and Dino simply began performing again and didn't invite them to be a part of the band.

That had a lot to do with the reason the 2009 dates were all cancelled.
    "[Christian and I] are actually still in Fear Factory...[Burton and Dino] decided to start a new band, and furthermore, they decided to call it Fear Factory. They never communicated with us about it", said Herrera
    Christian Olde Wolbers and Raymond Herrera

I think this has a lot to do with the legal battle the band are fighting. Christian Olde Wolbers and Raymond Herrera legally dispute that the band is Fear Factory because neither of them officially left, rather Burton and Dino simply began performing again and didn't invite them to be a part of the band.
    That doesn't make sense or maybe I don't understand what you mean. They played other songs off Obsolete and Demanufacture, I was just surprised they didn't play some of the ones I listed, especially Pisschrist. I consider that to be the quintessential Fear Factory song.

I think the P.As might have been set up a bit crap also, not that I'm saying the sound was bad, it wasn't. But before they began and NIN was playing over the PA, it sounded awful (when the ambient song Corona Radiata came on, I think everyone was getting a little hyped thinking it was FFs intro) and I think that might have showed during H.Ks intro, since I could hear the voice in it at all. But that's a small complaint, if it can even be considered that.

Coldwar. I thought they were very well recieved, took a few songs for people to get into them, but I thought they won the crowd completely.

Favourite songs were probably H.K, Shock and Demanufacture. I have to say, I was spent by Mechanize, and only hopped into the mosh for the little, as it was a bit too harsh for me, and the floor was pretty slippy.

• Advertisement

Malice_ wrote: »
    That doesn't make sense or maybe I don't understand what you mean. They played other songs off Obsolete and Demanufacture, I was just surprised they didn't play some of the ones I listed, especially Pisschrist. I consider that to be the quintessential Fear Factory song.

Maybe some of those songs were written with help from ex-members of the band who legally objected to them performing that material

Final Exit hasn't been played a lot, at all, so they might not have rehearsed it.

Maybe some of those songs were written with help from ex-members of the band who legally objected to them performing that material

Final Exit hasn't been played a lot, at all, so they might not have rehearsed it.
    I just checked the Demanufacture album credits and they are:
    All Music Written by Dino Cazares & Raymond Herrera except "Self Bias Resistor", Written by Dino Cazares, Raymond Herrera & Burton C. Bell, "Pisschrist" Written by Dino Cazares, Raymond Herrera & Christian Olde Wolbers and "Dog Day Sunrise", Written by Head Of David.
    so that doesn't really hold up either. Raymond Herrera objecting to Pisschrist but not Self Bias Resistor, Replica or Demanufacture doesn't sound right. I guess the band feel they know better than me how to put a setlist together :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I thought the show was fantastic. Enjoyed every minute of it and could not find a fault if I tried. The only annoying thing was the merch. Was complete crap! (As was mentioned earlier).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

My only problem with the gig is this huge bruise on my leg (shaped like Africa oddly...) and my ripped Black Sabbath Vol. 4 T-Shirt by some dude with a Slayer tattoo on his back. Otherwise I thought it was ****ing savage.

Nailz wrote: »
    My only problem with the gig is this huge bruise on my leg (shaped like Africa oddly...)

Interestingly, I also read this today

http://twitter.com/ermoosl/status/13316320385

Strange that.....

Advertisement