Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Building - first step?

Options
  • 28-04-2010 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

As you can see, my question is regarding a self build.

My boyf and I are looking at hopefully building our own home in the next 2 years.

What is the first step for us as we are so confused at the moment!

Firstly, a little about us:

We are both in our mid 20s and both employed permanently in the private sector. However we are both on modest wages (collectively circa €43,000 per annum) - I know small but we are just starting out after all!

We have started saving with BOI €50 each p/w so €400 pm.

I suppose our only saving grace is that we are being gifted the site, so thats a saving of approx €40,000 for us I guess. (we are based in Co. Roscommon). We arent looking to build anything too fancy, just know that it has to be 4 bedroom, and we are constantly changing our mind on whether a 2 story or bungalow would be best for us.

Anyway, where do we start? Is it worth getting the site assessed first to see what type of house could be built? DO we go to bank first to see how much we could borrow first and then choose house plans? Or do we apply for planning permission on the site first? I am so confused!!

My boyf works for a building providers and he has asked around and based on todays market and the amount of builders out of work he has been told that we could get a 4 bedroom bungalow built to builders finish for €100,000 or a two story for €140,000? this seems VERY optimistic to me, but he is adament! I mean we dont want a mansion but I also want something with a little character too as it will be our home for life.

Please help me on this, I want to get the ball rolling on this as I know all these processes take forever!!

Advertisement