Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GUN ADVICE

Options
  • 28-04-2010 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

A friend asked me to put this out here he is thinking of buying a bettinsoli sporter 30" with chokes all cased for 800 euro good value or not. Or a better gun for same money

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 japnut

no one know anything about these guns?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Johnny_Coyle

JapNut,
    Hate to see your thread all alone, so here's my opinion.

I have never seen one of these nor have any input.

What kind of shooting is your friend going to be doing? That may help for suggestions.

Personally, I prefer to buy the tried, true, and tested models, rather than being the leader of the pack.

At the price you quoted there are a lot of choices, especially in the Italians.

Do you know if the gun will be auto, sxs, o/u, or whatever?

At the price you are looking, how about a Benelli SBE?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭yog1

japnut wrote: »
    A friend asked me to put this out here he is thinking of buying a bettinsoli sporter 30" with chokes all cased for 800 euro good value or not. Or a better gun for same money

thanks
    recently got into the shooting thing myself, was thinking of one of these gun's as well, but then one of the many gun dealers i was visiting told me he had sold 8 of them and had 5 back to get work done, all within a short pereod, said a few of the buyers wouldnt take the gun back after it was repaired,,
    now this dealer was trying to sell me a 2nd hand kestrel sxs witch i was nearly going to buy as it was cheap and a good entry gun, (bought a aya no 4 in the end up and i love it) but he knew he could have sold me anything because i wasn't set on any type of gun, he showed me pump guns semi and a few browings (just for fun as i couldnt afford it) and though i bought a sxs i cannot see why he would steer me away from the bettinsoli as he was selling them as well,

just my thoughts on it, the fact that it was a new gun nearly sold it to me but then i thought why is a new gun the same price (or a few hundred more) as some 2nd hand gun's,, maybe i'm too easy lead but i think it was too much for a starter gun and not enough for a serious gun,
    hope this make's sence as i'm not sure i got my point of view across

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Hi There.

I am shooting a Bettensoli Supersport (30 inch) I have been shooting it since they came on the market 4 years ago. I shoot clays twice a month on average outside of the game season a little more ( summer flapper season). I use it for sporting/conmpact sporting/dtl/skeet and some ball trap.

I have also used it for driven game. My gun has an adjustable stock which is very useful. It came with a three year guarantee.

You cannot beat it as a good budget gun. I hold my own with lads shooting Kemens, berettas and brownings.

I cant fault it, it will do me just fine.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

thanks

I use a semi-auto for game/rough shooting.

As semi-auto's aren't too popular at some clay shoots I decided to buy an o/u. As I don't do very much clay shooting I wasn't going to spend 'big' money on such a gun.

I use one of these, a Bettinsoli 30'' Sporter, for clays.....can't fault it.

I picked it up second-hand in mint condition......it had only fired 3 boxes of shells........with chokes but no case for €460, which I thought was excellent value.....delighted with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Bought one a few years back for game shooting. Good gun, and no faults with it. It did fire slightly higher than the Beretta, but that could be down to my hold and line of sight (i had to look up along the rib and almost block out the target/clay/bird with the muzzle rather than straight along it keeping the object on the tip of the muzzle as with the Beretta).

They (if not mistaken) are owned by Beretta corp. so they really are an entry level Beretta. The price may reflect the build quality, but as mentioned i had no problems or faults and after a week was shooting clays as well as game quite successfully with it.

For a shotty under €1000 you won't go wrong.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cheers lads ill pass on your advice and info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 dae322

thanks

Is that for a new gun?

I'd snap it up, you won't do better

It is new gun I actually purchased one myself aswell nice gun good value for money I think. Is there any limit on type of cartridge for shotguns or how do you go about finding out. Could i use a slug in this gun. I dont want to damage barrels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

It is new gun I actually purchased one myself aswell nice gun good value for money I think. Is there any limit on type of cartridge for shotguns or how do you go about finding out. Could i use a slug in this gun. I dont want to damage barrels

japnut,

the largest 12 guage cartridge your gun can take (assuming its twelve guage) is stamped on the side of the gun.

76mm is 3" magnum
    70mm is 2 and 3/4"
    65mm is 2 and 1/2"

it is important you don't fire a 3" magnum in a 2 and 3/4" chamber as it could blow up.

Why would you want to fire slugs? I believe they are restricted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Jonty wrote: »
    japnut,

the largest 12 guage cartridge your gun can take (assuming its twelve guage) is stamped on the side of the gun.

76mm is 3" magnum
    70mm is 2 and 3/4"
    65mm is 2 and 1/2"

it is important you don't fire a 3" magnum in a 2 and 3/4" chamber as it could blow up.

Why would you want to fire slugs? I believe they are restricted.
    You forgot 3.5" Supermagnum;)

I was just wondering im new to shooting and just asking questions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

CJhaughey wrote: »
    You forgot 3.5" Supermagnum;)

I didn't know what it was in metric:D

Jonty wrote: »
    I didn't know what it was in metric:D
    89mm in new money:D

so what kind of cartridges would be best suited for a fox

BB or AAA is probably the best load, but make sure to pattern the gun with whatever you are shooting through it.

what do you mean pattern the gun.

cheers for the help cj

Advertisement