Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watches

Options
  • 28-04-2010 4:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Started running about 1 year ago and joined a club recently and really getting in to it. I am looking to buy a decent watch, nothing too fancy. Budget around €40 to €50.

Reccomendations appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

What should this watch do?
    Heart rate monitor?
    Stopwatch/record splits?
    Pedometer?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Bugnug

What should this watch do?
    Heart rate monitor?
    Stopwatch/record splits?
    Pedometer?

Well I am not sure, I just wanted to know my times, as you can tell I am a complete amatuer looking for a bit of guidance.

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭jailhouse_dave

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭plodder

Best thing to start out with imo, is a cheap ordinary digital stop watch. No need for anything fancy. You can work out distances you run on websites like this one. So, you can get an idea of how fast you are then.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi Bugnug, a number of people seem to recommend the Timex Ironman range, but really any digital watch with stop-watch and split/lap timer should do the job. You can also do a search on this forum for 'Timex' for other feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Wasn't Lidl or Aldi selling HMR's lately? Bout €25.00 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ciaranm19

sorry if i shouldnt be posting this here but i'm nerw to boards.ie

For Christmas this year I'm looking to buy a friend his favourite childhood Christmas present. It was a digital watch that had the time, and when you swiped the screen the date came up. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a working one or even just knew the name of them.

The watch was around in the late 70's or, early 80's. Any help would be really appreciated

Sorry again if this is posted in the wrong place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

ciaranm19 wrote: »
    sorry if i shouldnt be posting this here but i'm nerw to boards.ie

For Christmas this year I'm looking to buy a friend his favourite childhood Christmas present. It was a digital watch that had the time, and when you swiped the screen the date came up. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a working one or even just knew the name of them.

The watch was around in the late 70's or, early 80's. Any help would be really appreciated

Sorry again if this is posted in the wrong place

there is a forum for watches - you should get some help over there:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1175

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

Hi Bugnug, a number of people seem to recommend the Timex Ironman range, but really any digital watch with stop-watch and split/lap timer should do the job. You can also do a search on this forum for 'Timex' for other feedback.
    Yeah I've had a few of these and I like them. You can display lap or split times, there's a lap button on the face, bright light, 30 lap memory. Sorted!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I have a baby G (casio G-shock) which has been pretty indestructible, has rolled down mountains with me and been steeped in icy lakes. Its higher than the original budget mentioned here (which I assume is now sorted anyway). I also have a cheap hrm & watch from Argos, which are functional but not fancy. Given the choice Id go for a Polar next time. I also have a Garmin which is great for regular runs and cycles, but as its not fully waterproof its uses are limited and I cant get it's hrm to work for some reason.

If youve got the money, Id recommend any runner should invest in a Garmin, but otherwise any old stopwatch will do, and its good for the brain as you attempt to work out your pace and estimated finish time at every mile marker in a race. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I bought a Timex Ironman Triathlon watch in Argos last Saturday for about €35. They have a dozen different models all slightly different. Mine is just a day, date, hh:mm:ss watch + alarm + stopwatch hh:mm:ss (to 1/100) with 30 lap timing. If I want to run in 200 metres of water I'm also sorted. The alarm is almost inaudible.

Advertisement