Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sacred heart convent

Options
  • 28-04-2010 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

i spent 18mth in the sacred heart convent bessborough blackrock 97/98..luckily i have my precious daughter with me but so any left without there babies my memories of that ie are surreal at times and it has taken a long time and a lot of talking to accept my past,its hard to believe that 12 years ago there was any need for a pregnant 21 yrold tobe placed in a "institution"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

hi marion, i was born their in 1969, went back a couple of years ago to have a look round. sr mary is now in charge, she was their when i was born so u probaly remember her. what was it like when u where their...kathy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 christine88

Hi, i am currently a student in Limerick (Masters in History)writing my thesis on the Mother and Baby home of Bessborough, as you can imagine sources are proving difficult but oral history seems to be a good approach. If any one is interested on being intereviewed whether you were a mother or a child in Bessborough i would love to get in contact with you! This area is totally unresearched and think as an academic its a good starting point to unravel the history of this subject! My thesis is primarily about women in irish society who fell pregnant under the watchful eye of the Catholic Church. I will mainly be focusing on the life for the women in the home and a chapter on where these children went too. I would love to here your stories whether it be through email/skype/phone or a brief meeting i would be very grateful, just private mail me! (or if anyone does not feel comfortable talking, if you know of any good sources that would be great)

Christine

Advertisement