Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Theft in Galway

Options
  • 28-04-2010 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

How many people have had bikes stolen in Galway in the last nine months?

Mine was stolen yesterday from NUIG by a 6ft(ish) pale guy with a shaved head, wearing a bright red rain mac. He cycled up, broke the lock, and cycled off holding on to mine. He was with some other fcuker with black hair.

Anyway they were on CCTV, saw the whole thing inc. the guy's face, and I reported it to the Gardaí today. I was talking to the head of security and he said there've been hundreds of bikes stolen since september '09 alone. I've also seen a rake of bikes around the college that have been "chop-shop'd" (the wheels and brakes and seats taken off them, see photos attached). And that's just in the College. Does anyone know what the hell is going on here? Who is stealing all these bikes? Who is buying all these stolen bikes?

Has your bike been stolen in Galway in the last nine months? 29 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 29 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

As I mentioned in the NUIG thread last month, my friends Lapierre bike was nicked form outside the gym one evening; the guys had tried before and obviously came back with tools to break the v.fancy and secure lock. Naturally he was gutted as he uses his bike everyday. On the CCTV they just saw two guys with hoods nicking it but could do nothing. Apparently it's common outside the gym yet they haven't improved security etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Sorry to hear about the bike thefts especially as it appears to be used daily.

More pressure should have been put back on NUIG/Kingfisher as the crime was on their turf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭poolfan

Sorry to hear about the bike. Had a bike stolen a few years back aswell. I go to GMIT and when I went to get my bike discovered somebody tyr to steal it. Casing of the lock was cracked and the metal part of the lock chipped. Some cheek as it was the middle of the day. Probably an amatuer thief as the lock wasnt a great one. Needless to say I went and bought a betterlock that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭harryd2

Somone tried to steal mine recently but couldn't cut through the lock,
    so they took both wheels.. f00kers..
    Would love to setup a trap for these skumbags..

Mine was stolen yesterday from NUIG by a 6ft(ish) pale guy with a shaved head, wearing a bright red rain mac. He cycled up, broke the lock, and cycled off holding on to mine. He was with some other fcuker with black hair.

Anyway they were on CCTV, saw the whole thing inc. the guy's face, and I reported it to the Gardaí today.

This has crossed my mind a lot lately from looking through papers and stuff....
    Not having a go at you as you don't have access, but in this day and age with all the technology we have at our fingertips, could the guards not set up a site with the CCTV footage of the criminals they describe in the papers?

How many times do you read ''cops are looking for any info.....suspect was 6'' tall, wearing a black jumper etc..''
    SHOW ME THE PICTURE/VIDEO AND I MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP.

Like who can read these and go ''OMG i know who that is!!!''.... basic descriptions are too vague, a simple website with the video/pictures would go a long way to catching a lot more of these guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Was going to Neachtains during the day recently and town was busy, went to park my bike around in front of the Dew Drop (don't normally lock it there as have seen bikes with kicked wheels, but it was daytime and I was only heading in for a quick coffee, so thought, what the hell..).

Just about to lock my bike (a freebie, but looks slightly posher, and a lock not work sh*t) when I spot two kids THREE FEET AWAY, fiddling with a bike (they were on their own bikes). Wasn't sure what they were up to but they were shifty enough, so I waited, then saw they were unscrewing some nice mudguards on a bike. Went up and said "what are ye doing lads, is that your bike?" and they scarpered. Little sh*ts, they must have been 10 or 11.

Let's keep an eye out for each other? 10 or more people must have noticed these kids and said nothing. Just like the movement to pick up 'knocked' bikes so they don't get thrashed, maybe we can keep an eye out a bit more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i had a bike stolen from me when i lived in terryland. i pity the poor fecker that stole it as i had been told a few days previous that it'd be cheaper to buy a second hand one than repair it. the gears were screwed, no brakes and one of the wheels had a bit of a buckle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

This has crossed my mind a lot lately from looking through papers and stuff....
    Not having a go at you as you don't have access, but in this day and age with all the technology we have at our fingertips, could the guards not set up a site with the CCTV footage of the criminals they describe in the papers?

How many times do you read ''cops are looking for any info.....suspect was 6'' tall, wearing a black jumper etc..''
    SHOW ME THE PICTURE/VIDEO AND I MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP.

Like who can read these and go ''OMG i know who that is!!!''.... basic descriptions are too vague, a simple website with the video/pictures would go a long way to catching a lot more of these guys.

That's a very good idea there. Wonder if its possible to put up photos here of say stills from CCTV footage if it is any good or would that just create a legal nightmare for boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭cafecolour

I've been lucky, my bike has been fine. It's a nice bike, but a good bit old, so it might not look a tempting target. Plus I have a pretty strong u-lock for it, which generally requires either a car jack or a circular hand saw to get through. Cable locks are generally pretty easy to cut.

When I lived in San Francisco though, it was madness. Bike seats would even be stolen - for nice bikes, folks would have locking wheels, seats, etc. I even had a light stolen once.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

How many people have had bikes stolen in Galway in the last nine months?

Anyway they were on CCTV, saw the whole thing inc. the guy's face, and I reported it to the Gardaí today. I was talking to the head of security and he said there've been hundreds of bikes stolen since september '09 alone. I've also seen a rake of bikes around the college that have been "chop-shop'd" (the wheels and brakes and seats taken off them, see photos attached). And that's just in the College. Does anyone know what the hell is going on here? Who is stealing all these bikes? Who is buying all these stolen bikes?

what kind of lock did you have? i would not use anything less than a D lock and have it fastened to something unmovable. I used to have a lot of problems with acessories such as drink cages and bull horns being stolen.

• Advertisement

As I mentioned in the NUIG thread last month, my friends Lapierre bike was nicked form outside the gym one evening; the guys had tried before and obviously came back with tools to break the v.fancy and secure lock. Naturally he was gutted as he uses his bike everyday. On the CCTV they just saw two guys with hoods nicking it but could do nothing. Apparently it's common outside the gym yet they haven't improved security etc.

it is common there. so much for campus security.its sad that in such a public place nobody paid any heed to the hooded ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭8kvscdpglqnyr4

Does it happen during daylight hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Does it happen during daylight hours?

Yup, happened to Dubhghaillix at 5.00pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭hairyleprechaun

I haven't had my bike stolen but some cnut slashed the tyre on it in the college, why would someone do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

four bikes stolen on me in the last five years..
    the F*****s even took the tall gas cylinder one was locked to, cut the railing to get another one, so even if you think its locked to something unmovable.. think again :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Dubhghaillix

what kind of lock did you have? i would not use anything less than a D lock and have it fastened to something unmovable. I used to have a lot of problems with acessories such as drink cages and bull horns being stolen.

It was a "Kingsguard" lock. The curley one. I saw the whole thing happen on the CCTV footage. They guy just stretched the lock, pulled on it once or twice and it came apart. I've noticed everyone seems to have those locks. They're useless. They rust after a few hours in the rain, the key jams in them a lot, and they break like that *snaps fingers*. Worst thing about them is everywhere sells them. Conspiracy???

You say D Locks are best? I'll keep that in mind. I've moved to a chain and a heavy lock for the meanwhile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Got my bike robbed in college a couple of years ago, used to use it daily.

Anyone know what's with the big stash of bikes behind the college security office? :confused:

Couldn't tell you. TBH I guess it's bikes that have been fished out of the canals after the week formally known as RAG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Seysilver

My bike was stolen on me just before Christmas. The sickening part was that it was taken from my own front garden, not even on the street. Couldn't get over the cheek that they'd come into someone's garden and steal it. I have no idea where the bikes go? I mean is there a second hand bike shop somewhere that there being flogged to or a market somewhere or is it just vandalism? Has anyone ever seen their bikes again? I went to the Gardai, you can imagine how helpful that was.

I know two guys who found their bikes after they were stolen. They saw them in the street one day and stole them back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Always try and find a newer, shinier and more expensive bike to lock yours by.

Always try and find a newer, shinier and more expensive bike to lock yours by.

Agreed, always do it!

And 9 out of 42 people? That's fcuking scandalous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭stunt_penguin

I had one stolen from the apartment block ,at 4am, I VERY nearly caught them, too; I heard it happen just as I was headed to bed and ran out.

I wondered what would happen if the bike owners of Galway walked into into a few hundred of the city shops and yanked €200-300 from each till.

I say this because maybe that would put the theft of bikes in the city in context; we must be looking at hundreds of bikes and (mostly worth a few quid each). Noone takes it seriously because it's a widely distributed crime and it's 'only a bike' each time, but if it was another type of crime (such as my afforementioned theft of cash) you'd have a public outcry and find yourself/ves arrested very quickly. I'd say that bike theft is probably the crime causing the biggest fianancial loss in the city right now, and no-one is doing a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 JohnMcManus

Aldi Westside are currently selling really heavy motorbike locks. They are a really heavy chain and padlock. Mine has loads of bolt cropper marks and hacksaw cuts, but I still have my bike. And before the moderator Biko calls me a shill again; I DO NOT WORK FOR ALDI, OR GALWAY CITY COUNCIL CAR PARKING, OR LISBAN CHEAP DIESEL ON THE INDUSTRIAL ESTATE! I am just trying to help people out.

Aldi Westside are currently selling really heavy motorbike locks. They are a really heavy chain and padlock. Mine has loads of bolt cropper marks and hacksaw cuts, but I still have my bike. And before the moderator Biko calls me a shill again; I DO NOT WORK FOR ALDI, OR GALWAY CITY COUNCIL CAR PARKING, OR LISBAN CHEAP DIESEL ON THE INDUSTRIAL ESTATE! I am just trying to help people out.

How heavy are they though? Would they add some serious weight to your bike while cycling?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I say this because maybe that would put the theft of bikes in the city in context; we must be looking at hundreds of bikes and (mostly worth a few quid each). Noone takes it seriously because it's a widely distributed crime and it's 'only a bike' each time, but if it was another type of crime (such as my afforementioned theft of cash) you'd have a public outcry and find yourself/ves arrested very quickly. I'd say that bike theft is probably the crime causing the biggest fianancial loss in the city right now, and no-one is doing a thing.

Bike theft causing biggest financial loss in the city? Yeah right.
    If you feel so strongly about it, write to the local Garda Superintendent and articulate your concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Cops are lazy fookers. How hard would it be to set up a simple trap. Nice fancy bike left over night in the college with a tracking device hidden inside the frame. Its a handfull of sh1ts that keep taking bikes, they obviously store them somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

How heavy are they though? Would they add some serious weight to your bike while cycling?

These things are seriously heavy.

It was a "Kingsguard" lock. The curley one. I saw the whole thing happen on the CCTV footage. They guy just stretched the lock, pulled on it once or twice and it came apart. I've noticed everyone seems to have those locks. They're useless. They rust after a few hours in the rain, the key jams in them a lot, and they break like that *snaps fingers*. Worst thing about them is everywhere sells them. Conspiracy???

You say D Locks are best? I'll keep that in mind. I've moved to a chain and a heavy lock for the meanwhile.

the curly locks are easy break. D locks are cheap enough around 20 E and very strong. make sure its big enough to go around a pole. you need to oil them so it won't freeze or go stiff. you don't want the key breaking in the lock.

• Advertisement

Seysilver wrote: »
    My bike was stolen on me just before Christmas. The sickening part was that it was taken from my own front garden, not even on the street. Couldn't get over the cheek that they'd come into someone's garden and steal it. I have no idea where the bikes go? I mean is there a second hand bike shop somewhere that there being flogged to or a market somewhere or is it just vandalism? Has anyone ever seen their bikes again? I went to the Gardai, you can imagine how helpful that was.

its better to have the bike at the rear.
    i had mine taken from the front of my house but found it 200 metres away thrown over a wall, either too awkward to carry or students acting the bollix.

Advertisement