Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

40 Reps 2 Freedom

Options
  • 28-04-2010 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

I've decided to start a log to keep motivated and track progress. I suppose my overall goal is to gain strength. Never really lifted weights before as i was shocked by my lack of strength but I figure thats not gonna change unless i do something. I'm 21, 5'10 and 80 kg's. I've decided im gonna work at starting strength (loosely) based on good feedback i've read about it on this forum.

Wednesday

Squats45, 3x5
    DB bench 12.5, 3x5
    Deadlift 50, 1x5

Friday

Squats 50, 3x5
    DB press 10, 3x5
    Chins (negatives), about 10

Basically i'm just subbing chins in cos i feel learning a power clean at this stage would be a bit too much on top of the rest. I promise to give this a go once i get comfortable with my deadlift and squat. Press was done with DB as the power rack in TF:S is too small to lift a barbell over your head. Was gonna use a squat rack but both were full and i was a bit stuck for time. Wont be a problem again as I've decided upon morning sessions. Also i did do some warming up for these sessions but i cant remember the numbers as it was last week.

Wednesday
    Squats Bar-2x5, 40-1x5, 55-3x5
    DB bench 15, 3x5
    Deadlift 40-1x5, 50-1x3, 60-1x5

Took a four day gap because after doing those negatives i had the worst pain in my elbows. It hurt if i tried to extend them past 120 degrees. Dunno if this was to do with the fact i've never tried a chim before or just because i overdid it with the negatives. Also my weekend work and drinking got in the way and diet was pretty ****.

My thoughts on todays session

Obviously i dont plan on increasing my dl by this much every week but i kind of feel on the first session i started off a bit light. Will start the barbell benching next session as im aware that increasing your bench by the increments the db go up in is impossible. The gym is so much better in the morning. Although even tho its early db's are still scattered everywhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Don't worry about starting light, as long as you keep adding weight it will get heavy.

Negatives will hurt. Try breaking them into smaller sets maybe.

And on the press, you could take the hooks to the front of the rack so you are actually pressing outside the rack.
    This is how its usually done.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭banquet

Friday
    Squats bar-2x5, 40-1x3, 55-1x5 1x3 1x1
    DB Press 12.5-3x5
    Chins about 8 negatives.
    Pull ups about 8.

Thoughts

I was up early this morning. Right from the start with the squats my legs felt fatigued. I dont know if this is from lack of sleep, food etc. Even when i was squating with the bar my legs felt worn out. Was a bit wary when doing the negatives because of the serious pain i had in my elbows last week. Hopefully that was because it was my first time attempting them.

Really disappointed about the squats. Gonna try not deprive myself of sleep this weekend and will be sure to eat plenty. I'l try make up for it on monday by squating 60. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭banquet

Wednesday
    Squats Bar-1x5, 40-1x5, 50-1x3, 60-3x5
    DB Bench 17.5s 3x5
    Deadlift, 60-1x2, 65-1x2, 70-1x5

Thoughts
    Decided to go up to the gym in the afternoon today. It made a real difference not being just out of bed and groggy. I was really disappointed about my squats last day and today the weight seemed much lighter. Was going to go for 57.5 but I couldnt find the 1.25s so I just said **** it and gave it a shot. It was a huge relief cos I was worried about my progress stopping last time I squatted but it must of have been just a bad day. Real happy to be back on track but the last set felt really difficult. Gonna move to a barbell on the bench next workout as I doubt i'l be able to jump to 20s. Deadlift was grand. Dont think I was really pushing myself on this beforehand. Pretty satisfied after today and i love that jelly feeling you have in your legs driving home.:)

Advertisement