Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxer puppies

Options
  • 28-04-2010 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi everyone, I dont post a lot but I am doing so now in the hope that I can steal some wisdom.

My boxer bitch, Sasha had an emergency C Section yesterday due to the first puppy being stuck inside her. Unfortenetly the damage was so bad she had to have a hysterectomy, the vet found 3 little puppies that were saved.

Sasha and the pups came home last night with excellent comments and expectations from the vets, but all was not well and Sasha died this morning at 8am. The puppies are now completely depending on me to hand rear them and I really dont want to let their mum down.

They are being fed every 4 hours on Royal Canine replacement milk and things are so far all going well

Is there anything else I can be doing to increase these guys chance of survival as this is Day 1 of what Im sure is going to be a very long few weeks. I have taken time off work so Im able to be with them 24/7.

A few years ago I hand reared some Jack Russell puppies for my mum so I know medically what I need to be doing Im just asking is there anything else, I dont think I can cope with loosing these little guys and their mum

Any help ideas or advice is really appreciated. My vet is also in constant contact which is a massive help I just want to make sure Im doing everything possible

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Cherrybomb wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I dont post a lot but I am doing so now in the hope that I can steal some wisdom.

My boxer bitch, Sasha had an emergency C Section yesterday due to the first puppy being stuck inside her. Unfortenetly the damage was so bad she had to have a hysterectomy, the vet found 3 little puppies that were saved.

Sasha and the pups came home last night with excellent comments and expectations from the vets, but all was not well and Sasha died this morning at 8am. The puppies are now completely depending on me to hand rear them and I really dont want to let their mum down.

They are being fed every 4 hours on Royal Canine replacement milk and things are so far all going well

Is there anything else I can be doing to increase these guys chance of survival as this is Day 1 of what Im sure is going to be a very long few weeks. I have taken time off work so Im able to be with them 24/7.

A few years ago I hand reared some Jack Russell puppies for my mum so I know medically what I need to be doing Im just asking is there anything else, I dont think I can cope with loosing these little guys and their mum

Any help ideas or advice is really appreciated. My vet is also in constant contact which is a massive help I just want to make sure Im doing everything possible

Really sorry to hear about Sasha.

Sorry, but if they are newborn, they need to be fed every 2 hours, not 4. You will be able to increase that to every 3 hours when they are about 2 weeks old, but certainly not yet. Are you making them go to the toilet after feeding? You need to rub their bums with damp kitchen towel or cotton wool, the mum would normally stimulate them with her tongue, it is vital that you do this. Keep them really warm obviously. I was told to put some probiotic powder in with their feed every now and then, ask the vet.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Cherrybomb

Hi ISDW

Thanks for the advice yep they are all going to the toilet like clockwork and I completely agree with the two hour feeding thing it was the puppies vets who advised 4 hours and the instructions on the feed also states 4 hours. I have double checked with the vet and he has reconfirmed its every four hours

I will say it to him bout the probiotic powder thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I'm so sorry your dog died. That's so sad :(

I have heard it's every two hours too, but I've handreared kittens and my old neighbours handreared loads of kittens, and the vet said every 4 hours, so that's what we did. I'm not an expert though.

Good luck with the puppies, I hope they will all make it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I'm really sorry to hear about your Sasha! My heart goes out hoping the pups will make it.

Thanks guys, finding it hard enough to get them to eat every four hours at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

From having baby animals myself, I find that if they don't seem hungry and their bellies are fat, then they're getting enough food and often enough. Are they strong and healthy looking? Like do they wriggle a lot or are they a bit lethargic?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Not much I can add to what's been already said above and recommended by your vet.

The one thing that could help is rubbing them in a similar way as to their mother licking them. It's something we do for calves whose mothers are too sick/tired to mind them properly or if their mother has died. Even 2 minutes a few times a day makes a huge difference to the calf. Most mothers will tend to lick/massage their young when they're feeding, so this might help the pups.

Sorry to hear about your dog. Best of luck with the pups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Sorry to hear about poor Sasha and I really hope the pups make it. Do you have anyone to help with the feeding? Only having 4 hours sleep at a time will be exhausting so if you had someone to do shifts with it would be better. Fingers crossed for the little guys

Puppies arent doing great - one died this morning the others really arent well. Spoke to my Vet he said all we can do is keep trying Thanks for the well wishes

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Yeah I really hope you have back up with you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Cherrybomb wrote: »
    Puppies arent doing great - one died this morning the others really arent well. Spoke to my Vet he said all we can do is keep trying Thanks for the well wishes

Thats awful what part of the country are you in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Have you looked for a foster mum for the dogs anywhere? Another nursing mum?

Would you try feeding them every 2 hours? I know you said they don't want the food, but they have to have it to survive. Even syringing tiny little bits into the side of their mouth if they won't suckle. Or, ask anybody who knows how to tube feed, I wouldn't recommend doing it if you don't know what you're doing, but the vet or vet nurses may be able to help you.

Its heartbreaking I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Cooper07

Hi Cherrybomb, how are your little puppies doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Cherrybomb, I'm so sorry to hear about your Sasha and about one of the pups. It's absolutely heartbreaking when a dog dies but in a situation like that, my heart goes out to you.
    I hope it's good news with the other two pups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

How are the two puppies?

Advertisement