Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free or Extremely cheap Parrot Cage

Options
  • 28-04-2010 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭

Looking for a free or v cheap cage to suit macaw-have been awarded a free bird through an adoption scheme but due to my husband recently been made redundant there is no way we can afford the prices :(

my kids are so excited about our new pet and i dont want to leave them down

would appreciate any help/info

thanks ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Would you or your husband maybe be able to build one? It might be difficult, I dunno. I guess it'd have to have very strong wire.

I would check ebay and pet supply websites. I was on zooplus.co.uk there since I'm always looking for rabbit stuff, and the cheapest they have is about £150.

I think there is an irish parrot forum or something, if you look there then maybe someone has one for sale, or you could make a post and ask them.

Or maybe check donedeal.ie in the pet accessory section.

I don't know if you'll be able to find one for free but worth looking I guess. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Good on you for taking on a rescue but surely the rescue wants to make sure you can afford to keep the bird, macaws are cheap enough to feed but their toys and vet fees can cost a bomb.
    zooplus.co.uk have the best priced cages you need a very big one so wether you buy second hand or new it will be pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Check out Adverts.ie, gumtree.ie or ask in local pet shops, perhaps they know someone wanting to get rid of a cage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If you do buy a second hand cage make sure it is well disinfected with the appropriate disinfectant before you put your bird into it.

God knows what could have happened to its previous occupier. :eek:

Ordinary houshold cleaners such as bleach or Dettol could harm your bird if not rinced out properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

I know the kids would be hugely disapointed, but imagine how upset they would be if the bird got sick and you couldn't afford the vets bills to keep it alive??

Really don't want to put a dampner on things, but would it not be best to hold off until you can afford all the necessary equipment and future needs of the animal?

• Advertisement
Advertisement