Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

growing blueberries

Options
  • 28-04-2010 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭

I'm pretty clueless about growing fruit.

So if i was to grow blueberries do i need to get both the male & female plant to guarantee pollination??

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

strictly speaking most blueberry plants are self-pollinating and capable of producing fruit from a single plant, on the practical side if you have 2 or more plants that cross pollinate then they produce larger fruit and have a higher yield.....so in simple terms - if you only have room for one plant don't be deterred but if you have room for two or more then happy days:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

they are better off grown in pots unless you have suitable soil, READ the labels well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the blueberries seem to be coming on, but i was told lately that seeing its a new plant to pick off all the emerging berries so as to have a bumper crop in future years..is this necessary??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

They need acid soil, if your soil is limey then grow in pots and mix in plenty of peat moss. They also need lots of water so it can be a bit of a pain if they are growing in pots, particularly if your tap water is limey as they won't like that, try to use rainwater. If you can, grow them in the garden.
    I started off with one plant and got a pretty good crop with that but I did notice an increase in the crop on that one when I added a second, whether that was just due to the plant being more mature is moot.
    I can't for the life of me understand how picking off the berries would lead to a better crop, probably they mean picking off the flowers but I've never seen any reason to do that.

Advertisement