Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lucky escape for Cregmore Schoolchildren

Options
  • 28-04-2010 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0428/crash.html

00033d6a-380.jpg
    There were dramatic scenes in Galway this afternoon when a truck crashed into a row of cars outside a school.
    The accident happened just as parents were arriving at Cregmore National School, a short distance from Galway Airport, to collect their children.
    The truck crashed through a wall into the pick-up area of the school and the force of the collision resulted in an 11 car pile-up.
    School principal Joe Kennelly said it was extremely lucky that nobody was injured.
    He said parents and teachers pulled children out of the path of the oncoming truck.

Very lucky nobody was seriously injured

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

cregmore1.jpg

cregmore2.jpg

cregmore3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Goodness me, that could've been awful!!!:eek:

Very lucky indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Jaysus, that was close. A lot of damaged cars there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

:eek:

what the heck happened for the truck to lose all control?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

According to the six-one news, the truck was involved in a collision with a car at Cregmore Cross. The truck then carried on into the school yard.

No serious injuries, though 5 were taken to hospital for observation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Thankfully there were no injuries. I feel so sorry for the owners of the damaged cars.

Fecks sake, that could have been so much worse! I have passed up that way a few times its hard to see how the truck ended up in there.
    I feel so sorry for the owners of the damaged cars.

They will not be out of pocket, the trucks insurance will have to cover the repair of all the damaged cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Scary, I live about 3 miles from there,some of my neighbours have their kids in that school.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Fecken hell. Good to hear no one got hurt (badly).

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭forumfiend

What a lucky escape for all concerned. Thank God nobody was injured.

A slightly off-topic comment if I may -- what's this obsession people have with blotting out number plates every time there is a picture of a car anywhere? It started with Sky News and now everyone who has Photoshop is at it... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

f606ad58-47f5-4488-8254-722341a4b726

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Apparently a car fdrove straight thru the crossroad, truck swirved to miss it, and the rest we can see from the photos.

Who give a crap about the cars, everyone is fine, the 5 in hospital are not serious, so its a good day in cregmore today.
    It could have been allot lot worse !

Metal can be replaced, lives cant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

alibabba wrote: »
    Apparently a car fdrove straight thru the crossroad, truck swirved to miss it, and the rest we can see from the photos.

Who give a crap about the cars, everyone is fine, the 5 in hospital are not serious, so its a good day in cregmore today.
    It could have been allot lot worse !

Metal can be replaced, lives cant.

Exactly. Im from Cregmore. The cross was resurfaced a few weeks ago and there are no lines on the road. From what my neighbour told me a car came out too far at the cross and the truck clipped it and swerved across the road into the small parking area at the school. 5 minutes later and this could have been a very traggic story. People drive way too fast going past the school anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Exactly. Im from Cregmore. The cross was resurfaced a few weeks ago and there are no lines on the road. From what my neighbour told me a car came out too far at the cross and the truck clipped it and swerved across the road into the small parking area at the school. 5 minutes later and this could have been a very traggic story. People drive way too fast going past the school anyway.

Newspaper reports are saying the kids were actually a few mins late coming out. They were delayed by the local Priest, who said a wee prayer for the hope of getting a new hall.

The Power of Prayer.

Newspaper reports are saying the kids were actually a few mins late coming out. They were delayed by the local Priest, who said a wee prayer for the hope of getting a new hall.

The Power of Prayer.

Yeah it was an impromptu prayer service. Principal got all the kids together for a few extra minutes. Joe looked visibly upset and shocked by the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

The Power of Prayer.

Over there ---> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=333

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I know it was a lucky escape from a nasty crash and all, but did anybody see the article in I think it was The Independent about it today? Said that it was like "war torn Beirut" outside the school....a *teeny* bit excessive methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

The Power of Prayer.
    well sort of true, the priest did say prayer but he had gone way before the crash as in 1.15.. the prayer he said was ''may we go home safely, let nothing happen to us from now'' prayed aswell for them to hear about the new gym hall..my lads teacher put her alarm on her fone so that they be out in time for a change cos she is usualy bit late. we had just left for home when it happend. i came back to get eldest lad there i saw lights at the distance ,came closer and saw the maroon car that truck cliped . if the truck was full it would have carried on into the other big wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Had to laugh a wee bit when it came on the news.
    Reason being, the 'eye witness' was actually at my neighbour's house watching tv and went down for a look when he heard it happened.
    Then when the cameras were there he told a few wee porkies to get on the tv ;)

Caliden wrote: »
    Had to laugh a wee bit when it came on the news.
    Reason being, the 'eye witness' was actually at my neighbour's house watching tv and went down for a look when he heard it happened.
    Then when the cameras were there he told a few wee porkies to get on the tv ;)
    oh the little rap, wait till i tell principal on tuesday.;)

• Advertisement

cats.life wrote: »
    oh the little rap, wait till i tell principal on tuesday.;)

The lad is actually 17!
    Hard to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Caliden wrote: »
    The lad is actually 17!
    Hard to believe.

Yep, apparently he's a litle angel.:rolleyes:

Far from little angel!
    Seemingly he had to jump off the wall to avoid the truck. Anything to get on TV

i mentioned it to principal this morning that eye witness was not near the place when it happened, he said he thought the same, wonder will he say anything to the ''little angel''.

cats.life wrote: »
    i mentioned it to principal this morning that eye witness was not near the place when it happened, he said he thought the same, wonder will he say anything to the ''little angel''.

Well they had a bit of conflict when he was in the school so I highly doubt it :D

hi guys, at the meeting on tuesday night the gardi said they will be outside the school thank god he,s there since wednesday morning and he is stoping cars/trucks coming from roscommon said as in lackagh, cregmore is being used as a rat run and cutting corners turning right to get to city all cos claregalway is jam'd with traffic. but those twats dont give a RATS ass about the kids going into school.alot of people dont know about the speed limit signs that was only put up 2-3 weeks ago, its 50 km when pass the pitch going towards school but yet ive being over took yesterday leaving school by this woman in her big lexi.. so people just remember there could have being a few white coffins in the church last week side by side with a parent or a granny or aunt or uncle or who ever that was waiting for the little people to come home in one piece.could you cope with killing some kid or parent by your stupity driving ?SLOW DOWN.

Advertisement