Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long Stay Oz Visa

Options
  • 28-04-2010 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi All,

I'm new here and hoping someone can help me out!

My boyfriend has recently left the country on a 2nd yr whv for australia due to the situation in this country regarding work he'd no choice but to go.
    The whole thing has been emotionally draining as I'm left here due to the fact that on my whv in 2003 I never undertook any regional/seasonel work.There was no such thing as a 2nd year whv programme back then. As a result I'm not able to apply for the 2nd visa.

I've looked into student visa's but they seem to be highly expensive.

So I heard today about the long stay hol visa which entitles you to stay for up to 6 mths,!!
    Would this be a good option for me or are there any other ideas as I'm at my wits end with worry about trying to maintain a relationship when we're 9000 odd miles away from one another.

Any help or advice would be great .
    Thanks.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

jack128 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm new here and hoping someone can help me out!

My boyfriend has recently left the country on a 2nd yr whv for australia due to the situation in this country regarding work he'd no choice but to go.
    The whole thing has been emotionally draining as I'm left here due to the fact that on my whv in 2003 I never undertook any regional/seasonel work.There was no such thing as a 2nd year whv programme back then. As a result I'm not able to apply for the 2nd visa.

I've looked into student visa's but they seem to be highly expensive.

So I heard today about the long stay hol visa which entitles you to stay for up to 6 mths,!!
    Would this be a good option for me or are there any other ideas as I'm at my wits end with worry about trying to maintain a relationship when we're 9000 odd miles away from one another.

Any help or advice would be great .
    Thanks.....

have a look here
    http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/676/

that is the long stay tourist visa - or else you can get a WHV to new zealand? and could see each other then (you can get flights fairly cheaply)

as 6 months with no work will be a lot more expensive than a study visa

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

you'd be surprised how cheap it can be to do a student visa....... i looked into it, and turns out it can be done cheap enough,
    to do a business course/HR (which is one i looked into) you have to pay an upfront $3000 and then $1,300 every 3 months. It can be a 1 or 2 yr course. Then you pick your hours, its only like 3 or 4 hours a day.......so u can do 9-12, or 12-3, or 3-6.....so very flexible. You're allowed work the 20 hours but i know many students pick up cash in hand work or have employers willing to let them work more etc. It's bridge college in sydney i was enquiring through (recommended frm friends studying there, who had no interest in actually studying - just literally want to stay in the country)
    For me, i did a degree in business, and going back to do a cert or diploma in business would have been ridiculously boring, but the question is how much do you want to come back to oz??

Other than your bf getting sponsored and having you as defacto - cant really think of another way you'll be able to live and work here......irish guys are still being sponsored left right and centre! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 jack128

Thanks for your replys,

I had considered the N.Zealand visa option as a friend of mine is thinking of heading there for a year or two, I just thought the flying back and forth would become tedious after awhile.

The student visa might be worth looking into further as if I did a year long course I would be able to live with my boyfriend for the year and in the event of him being sponsored I could then apply for defacto. Wouldn't be able to apply for that currently as we haven't lived together for a long enough!!

The only thing is I've been out of the education system for nearly 10 years I guess it's nerve racking at the thoughts of going back to college.
    But nothing ventured nothing gained as they say:).
    The things we do for love:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

ah yes, i came to oz for that reason also!
    best of luck :)

Advertisement