Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooker keeps tripping switch

Options
  • 28-04-2010 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hey there!

Each time I go to use the cooker the "switch trips" and all the plug sockets in the house...trip??? Having read other posts about the same thing problem re: showers and irons, it seems like there's a serious problem with basic installation of the electrical system in the house.

My question is...Is this seriously dangerous? Is there a risk of electric shock if someone turns on the cooker?

The strange thing is, the cooker still works even though the switch tripped, so if there is a fault with the cooker (i'm sure there is), an electric current could pass through the cooker (and whoever is touching it) rather than tripping the switch...which is what would usually happen if there was a surge of current...i think..

...by the way this happens even when there aren't other appliances running...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i assume it's the oven?

may just need a replacement element

electric hobs not normally fed through RCD

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

Hey there!

Each time I go to use the cooker the "switch trips" and all the plug sockets in the house...trip??? Having read other posts about the same thing problem re: showers and irons, it seems like there's a serious problem with basic installation of the electrical system in the house.

My question is...Is this seriously dangerous? Is there a risk of electric shock if someone turns on the cooker?

The strange thing is, the cooker still works even though the switch tripped, so if there is a fault with the cooker (i'm sure there is), an electric current could pass through the cooker (and whoever is touching it) rather than tripping the switch...which is what would usually happen if there was a surge of current...i think..

...by the way this happens even when there aren't other appliances running...

is it the main rcd in the house that trips?
    generally the cooker isnt on the rcd in a house.
    doesnt really explain y it would trip tho.
    has the fault always been there or is the house just new? or did it just start one day.
    any other works recently carried out in the house?

would have an electrician take a look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Paulie Walnuts

I'm not sure what the RCD is but the power just goes in the plugs around the house, the lights stay on, and the cooker still works. It's not just the oven, sometimes the hobs will cause a trip.

It started happening about a year ago but not as frequently, now it happens every day. The house is pretty old and probably needs complete re-wiring. I've a feeling the original wiring was done by cowsboys'r'us.

I hope that the problem is in the cooker and can be easily fixed, my landlord is a tight git and it could be hard to get him to spring for a new cooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

an rcd is generally used in conjunction with socket circuits and not lights or stuff like the cooker.
    could be a couple of things really
    best get a electrician to look at it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

agree with maz.get it checked

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

There are a few possibilities:
    1) The RCD is faulty
    2) The RCD operating has nothing to do with the cooker. It is just a coinsidence.
    3) The live supply for the cooker is making contact a live conductor on the outgoing side of the RCD. This would mean that when the cooker is switched on part of the current drawn by the cooker is supplied by the RCD. This would cause an imbalance in the RCD resulting in it operating.

As mentioned above call an electrician. I would start to sort this out with the following:
    1) Visual inspection
    2) Insulation resistance test
    3) RCD test

I don't think this will be hard to fix.

Good luck!

Advertisement