Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a gun be broken down for spares & scrapped?

Options
  • 28-04-2010 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

I recently bought a spare 22lr S/A rifle, exact same model as my current gun.
    I took charge of the barrel and several small insignificant parts as thats all the RFD would allow me to have.
    The RFD said that he needs to keep most of the gun there and intacted in case he was inspected by authorities! :(

However I'd like to see the gun scraped (i.e. the action cut in half and the innards given to me as spares which would be then unrelated to any firearms number..:)

How can I get this done- Obviously i need to talk to the authorities myself but who and what to say?

Obviously i don't want to incure additional cost!
    I'm after paying enough buy buy whole gun in order to secure full set of spares!

Any thoughts on this issue received with thanks..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

imincanada wrote: »
    I recently bought a spare 22lr S/A rifle, exact same model as my current gun.
    I took charge of the barrel and several small insignificant parts as thats all the RFD would allow me to have.
    The RFD said that he needs to keep most of the gun there and intacted in case he was inspected by authorities! :(

However I'd like to see the gun scraped (i.e. the action cut in half and the innards given to me as spares which would be then unrelated to any firearms number..:)

How can I get this done- Obviously i need to talk to the authorities myself but who and what to say?

Obviously i don't want to incure additional cost!
    I'm after paying enough buy buy whole gun in order to secure full set of spares!

Any thoughts on this issue received with thanks..

Garda RFD you and and angle grinder The action has to be cut in half and the barrel has to be drilled out or welded shut and the Garda has to be satisfied it is beyond use!.

I know RFD's reg take a grinder to old single barrels etc as the licence costs more than the gun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

All your dealer needs is the reciever and any serial numbered parts, not including the barrel. Serial numberd parts are the gun.... everything alse is fine to own as you have a licence for it

As for the barrel, you can keep it if you can get it off as it is of the same calibre as what you already have a licence for, you may want to have the serial number stamped onto it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 imincanada

Garda RFD you and and angle grinder The action has to be cut in half and the barrel has to be drilled out or welded shut and the Garda has to be satisfied it is beyond use!.

I know RFD's reg take a grinder to old single barrels etc as the licence costs more than the gun!

you know yourself it all fine on paper! RFD is scared to issue any major parts except for the barrel..

I suppose I just have to call in to him again-

Maybe the Garda could give me written permission to obtain the parts?? Although i can hear the questioning already:(.
    As the Gun is in Tipp and i'm in Dublin there might be some issue as to which garda station one must visit before some sort of written approval for the remaining (un-numbered) spare parts could be issued,

I often wonder is shooting really worth all the hassle- :( Reading up on US web sites about cool stuff and then trying to deal with red tape for just the basics-- Ah ye know what i mean!

I often wonder is shooting really worth all the hassle- :( Reading up on US web sites about cool stuff and then trying to deal with red tape for just the basics-- Ah ye know what i mean!

YES DEFINATLY..... or your not doing it right :P:P:P

you are right though.... your dealer is to afraid to let parts out. if you are anyway mechanically minded though perhaps you could ask him if you can strip it yourself. i know seceral gundealers who couldnt wire a socket let alone assemble a gun

All your dealer needs is the reciever and any serial numbered parts, not including the barrel. Serial numberd parts are the gun.... everything alse is fine to own as you have a licence for it

As for the barrel, you can keep it if you can get it off as it is of the same calibre as what you already have a licence for, you may want to have the serial number stamped onto it though.

I have the barrel! I tried explaining that i'm allowed own spare parts- but the system has the RFD'd head melted(poor bloke)
    All he knows is that if cops come in and there a half a gun there then they start asking questions!

I'll have to go visit my local FO and start quoting the law at him in my softest voice with my cap in my hand and prob best to arrive with tail already between me legs:o

• Advertisement

YES DEFINATLY..... or your not doing it right :P:P:P

you are right though.... your dealer is to afraid to let parts out. if you are anyway mechanically minded though perhaps you could ask him if you can strip it yourself. i know seceral gundealers who couldnt wire a socket let alone assemble a gun
    I think he's one of those! alright! But he a sound chap, I cant blame him-
    Again its garda rules verse that thing called the law and the blues in 2's win hands down each time unless you changeling their authority- but then you get the second look and by christ you better have every thing in proper order! because then they start to look deeper!

Ye can't beat them, you can only try and persuade them to see things your way, in reality its the only way to get along in a small community like Ireland
    Population = to Manchester yet as many politicians as London with is TD's being paid more than those in the USA! whats went wrong!

Again its garda rules verse that thing called the law and the blues in 2's win hands down each time unless you changeling their authority- but then you get the second look and by christ you better have every thing in proper order! because then they start to look deeper!

Ye can't beat them, you can only try and persuade them to see things your way, in reality its the only way to get along in a small community like Ireland
    Population = to Manchester yet as many politicians as London with is TD's being paid more than those in the USA! whats went wrong!

Sorry ...... Thats the wrong attitude to have ! Its his job and it pays his wages. would you see him with the same attitude as he marks the prices on his products ?

The gardai get away with it because we are letting them get away with it. there is the world of information available online through the DOJ that you can show a garda or RFD. People dont seem to realise how good (not perfect by any means ) this new leglistation is. If you have a reason for a semi auto .50... and can prove reason for it legally you can have it !!
    but then you get the second look and by christ you better have every thing in proper order! because then they start to look deeper!

why wouldnt you have things in proper order ? the days of renewing firearms licences without your firearm being checked are over hopefully along with all the problems and short comings associated with that system gone. I personally go beyond the call as regards security arrangements so that if the gardai want to question it I can throw it back that if someone broke in it would take so long to find, unlock all parts with my amunition seperate that the monitered alarm would have called them by then.... ask how quickly they would respond ?? It falls into there hands then as thats there job.
    Ye can't beat them, you can only try and persuade them to see things your way

You dont need to beat them, you have to educate them :). they always are cautious as they dont know but if you know your rights and the law generally you should be fine. Its taken over 10 years to get the gardai to listen to me ... but its worth it :)

anyway back to origional point about a reciever, my FO came up to check my firearms lest year i pull out a stripped reciever and barrel for a SA R4, he checked the number corrosponded with my licence .......... and laughed when i rattled the surplus ammo box containing all the internals with words to the effect of " id rather you then me puttin it back together"

so does this have bearing here?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1971/en/act/pub/0013/sec0005.html#zza13y1971s5

I'm not waiting 10 years for scraps off their table either but a quite approch while carring a big long pice of firewood might help, anyway in ten years we could all be D&B then

haha i knew that piece was around somewhere .. i couldnt find it myself.

I presume that he is not selling you anything if you already own the scrap rifle but that applys to you.

as i said you are entitled to have everything off the scrap rifle excluding any serial numbered parts as they are what makes it a firearm (normally just the reciever is classed as the firearm but in the case of a Sako Quad or Unique Alpine you have a firearm that by changing the barrel you change caliber then in that case the barrel and/or bolt head is serial numbered and they become firearms)

now you might just find that he isnt able to strip the rifle !!!

hope that helps :)

Advertisement