Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIGNITY BAR WEST - GRAND OPENING WEEKEND!!

Options
  • 28-04-2010 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

this is it. Dignity Bar West is opening Friday, the 7th of May in Galway on 34 Shop street.

join Charmin Eletrik, Lady Bunny (from Dublin's Panti Bar), Dj Duggan on main floor & Dj Tonic in Chill Out Room.

hope to see You all there.

Dignity, leave yours on the dance floor.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Eh right, so where is this? I assume somehwere in the west.

You dignity people are sure exapanding. Fair play to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Ah yes, Shop Street. That one with all the shops on it, no doubt.

Galway, at a guess?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DignityBarWest

yes, it's Galway lads. if You have ANY suggestions, please feel free to mail us (dignitybarwest@gmail.com) or post a reply here.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,704 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not in Galway anywhere near as much as I used to be, but good to see somewhere new opening anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Isn't this in the same location that twirlies niteclub was in some years back? That didn't last very long. I hope it goes better for you than it did for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

links234 wrote: »
    Isn't this in the same location that twirlies niteclub was in some years back? That didn't last very long. I hope it goes better for you than it did for them.

Yes

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I'm not that into gay bars, but I'm happy to see the Dignity group opening ones up around the country. I'd imagine that after the hubbub dies down over 'one of those gay bars', people will be a lot more relaxed about homosexuality in general in and around Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,704 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Aard wrote: »
    I'm not that into gay bars, but I'm happy to see the Dignity group opening ones up around the country. I'd imagine that after the hubbub dies down over 'one of those gay bars', people will be a lot more relaxed about homosexuality in general in and around Galway.

Erm, Galway already has a gay bar. And has had for bloody ages too.... its just fairly, eh, elderly in clientele.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 T_Girl

Just wondering if anyone has gone to this bar? And how is the place doing so far? I'm hoping it's a great success - Galway needs it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭GalwayGuy92

T_Girl wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has gone to this bar? And how is the place doing so far? I'm hoping it's a great success - Galway needs it :)
    I went there for the opening weekend, it was good fun, music was good etc. I really thought it was a nice place untill I went to the bar, it is a bit overpriced with pints being more expensive than any other club in town, I didnt have spirits so I cant comment on the shots. Overpriced drink aside it was really enjoyable and I really hope they dont shut down like the rest of the clubs to open there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

went there last Friday for the first time - was good fun and a good set up/music/dance floor etc. A bit quiet on the night though - perhaps a lot of the Galwegians headed up to Dublin for Pride??

I'd avoid thier cocktails though. My friend and I had the most dreadful tasting Cosmopolitans served in warm half pint glasses (Owners - research and purchase quality cocktail ingredients and stock up on cocktail/martini glasses if you're going to have a cocktail menu!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

Haven't been in yet, maybe we should organise a boards trip to Dignity?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

it is a bit overpriced with pints being more expensive than any other club in town
    Nothing unusual there, gay bars always tend to run a bit expensive on the drink unfortunately. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭GalwayGuy92

Nothing unusual there, gay bars always tend to run a bit expensive on the drink unfortunately. :(
    Thats a bit of a bad business decision isn't it?:confused: With an already niched market would it not make more sense to make drink cheaper/normal price to encourage more business? I mean, there has already been a gay bar there which failed (I'm assuming they ran at raised prices also). Although I guess with the niche market which they basically have cornered they can charge what they like...
    It just won't become my regular anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I was only there once, but I didn't like it. I hated the music. I prefer just going to friends houses for drinks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Although I guess with the niche market which they basically have cornered they can charge what they like...
    This is the problem. It makes them more money when they've a captive audience really. One thing that makes it even worse is that most gay bars can't pull a pint for ****, so you're far better off ordering bottles - more expensive again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Gay-tax, etc.

Advertisement