Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New update for 5230 owners

Options
  • 28-04-2010 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Nobody mentioned it and seems to be a good few users here with the 5230, so thought i would post this. Nokia released new firmware last week which will take you from v12 to v20.

Some improvements are; new music player; slight camera improvement; speed increase for os; kinetic scrolling menus and ovi application synchronisation.

Upgrade using ovi or pc suite and nokia software updater, or update OTA by pressing *#0000# and send into the handset.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭randomway

Davy wrote: »
    Nobody mentioned it and seems to be a good few users here with the 5230, so thought i would post this. Nokia released new firmware last week which will take you from v12 to v20.

Some improvements are; new music player; slight camera improvement; speed increase for os; kinetic scrolling menus and ovi application synchronisation.

Upgrade using ovi or pc suite and nokia software updater, or update OTA by pressing *#0000# and send into the handset.

Nokia SW. Updater says there are no updates. Same on the phone when going into software updates. I'm on Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

My guess is that they havent approved the update, and they probably wont for a few months. You could change the product code which would allow you to update the software but unfortunately this will also void your warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

randomway wrote: »
    Nokia SW. Updater says there are no updates. Same on the phone when going into software updates. I'm on Vodafone.

You can change the product code on the handset using software to upgrade to the latest software if you want. Post back here if you want more info on it

You can change the product code on the handset using software to upgrade to the latest software if you want. Post back here if you want more info on it

Thanks, but I don't think it's that important to get the software update. Would changing the product code unlock the phone or is that something else?

Would changing the product code unlock the phone or is that something else?

Nope

• Advertisement

I want to unlock the phone anyway, because I will spend a few months abroad and I want to buy sim cards there, but that's different then. How would the product code change work?

I want to unlock the phone anyway, because I will spend a few months abroad and I want to buy sim cards there, but that's different then. How would the product code change work?

They are totally different things. Changing the product code wont remove the network lock.

Unlocking the handset, wont update the software either.

Ask o2 for the unlock code, and see if the will give it to you. then you will have to wait for the update or change the product code.

I decided to go ahead with the product code change.. can you explain how to do it?

The links in my sig will explain how to do it.

Is your Rm-588, *#0000#' will tell you, and what colour is it

Yes, it's RM-588, black.

• Advertisement

Sorry forget about ya, follow the sig links, but enter 0585383 as the code instead, and this will get you V20. Give me a pm or come back here if you have any problems

I managed to change the code thanks, took some time until I realized that I have to run NSS in admin mode.

Appreciate your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Anyone got that update using FOTA?
    Przemo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

V40.0.3 is out. No FOTA on O2 yet, but Nokia Software Updater did the job.
    Looks like this id the last version. It should improve battery life and sort out some errors.

Advertisement