Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shiny new ENGL 15 watt amp.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

What's the speaker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

What's the speaker?

Not sure, but Engl mostly use Celestions, so at a guess I'd say the same kind they use in the Classic range.

Here's a pic of the head version:

GroteFoto-8BBUPWRW.jpg
    GroteFoto-LEQVPTJV.jpg

I'd say that'd go nicely with a 1x12 cab if you were so inclined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I was actually more talking about speaker size than make: 12" or 10".
    Pics look like it could be closer to 10"...?

But, ooh, nice power soak feature!

Yeah, 10" speaker that is. They're bringing out a 1x10 cab to go with it as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

This could be pretty boss for me but I'm still undecided. I love my AC4TV since it has it's own fuzzy distortion but it's too impractical to use the way it is - I can't change the balance between pre and power distortion(it gets very saggy cranked), it's obviously not loud enough to a band situation, and it has no effects loop.

This could be great. The power soak would be great for bedroom practice and for micing up for larger gigs, and hopefully it'll be loud enough for small gigs as is.

I would have rathered a 12" speaker but it's possible to have a 10" with similar low end.

• Advertisement

Get the impression this has more headroom most low wattage amps(with the exception of the AC15 obviously).

I hate that you can't see where the knobs are at though.

I bet this would sound deadly with an Overdrive through it.

Sandvich wrote: »
    Get the impression this has more headroom most low wattage amps(with the exception of the AC15 obviously).
    I'd say there's definitely more clean headroom at least. I suspect with a lot of single channel low wattage tube amps, they're designed to breakup when cranked a bit. Having a separate clean and lead channel on the Engl probably affords a lot more clean headroom than most other low wattage amps, so it's more in the same class as the Mesa Transatlantic or Orange Dual Terror.
    I hate that you can't see where the knobs are at though.
    Well, there's little indentations on the knobs, they're similar knobs to the ones used on the E670 Special Edition. Though it is a little hard to see in the pictures, but if it was in front of you, you'd have no problem seeing where they're at.
    I bet this would sound deadly with an Overdrive through it.
    Yeah, I'd say so.

Engls can be a bit funny with overdrives sometimes, depending on the amp. The Fireball for example, the lead channel was so saturated with gain that an OD barely made any noticeable difference, and I've heard similar things about the Powerball as well. The Invader on the other hand takes extremely well to and OD. Channel 2 (which is the kinda mid-gain British/Marshall sounding channel) sounds absolutely godly with my modded TS7 up front.

But yeah, judging by the videos, I'd say the Gigmaster doesn't have that over saturated gain quality that some Engls have, sounds a lot more open and less compressed. So yeah, I think an OD up front would sound terrific on this baby, but I'd have to try it out in person to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

How much is this bad boy retailing at? I have been looking for a Blackstar HT-5 head to go with 1x12 cab. The Blackstar would be about €320 or so.

How much is this bad boy retailing at? I have been looking for a Blackstar HT-5 head to go with 1x12 cab. The Blackstar would be about €320 or so.

Only a few places have them listed so far, but one price for the Engl Gig Master head is €469 here, and €539 for the combo here.

• Advertisement

Only a few places have them listed so far, but one price for the Engl Gig Master head is €469 here, and €539 for the combo here.

Most people would see this as a bedroom amp and it's a bit more expensive than the HT-5. But sure, we could give it a twirl some time. :)

Most people would see this as a bedroom amp and it's a bit more expensive than the HT-5. But sure, we could give it a twirl some time. :)

Yeah, but the Engl has a 2 EL84 power section, so I'd say it has a lot more juice than the HT-5. The power soak feature is nice too, switchable to 15/5/1 watt(s).

Yeah, but the Engl has a 2 EL84 power section, so I'd say it has a lot more juice than the HT-5. The power soak feature is nice too, switchable to 15/5/1 watt(s).

Hmmm......decisions....decisions.....

The Direct out is what really gets me. The problem is if you want to DI you generally have to go with a modeler or Tech 21 pedal, which has limited selection. It'd be nice to go with a "Unique" amp that can DI.

Up on Thomann now with, available 11.06.2010. Combo, Head & Cab.

Up on Thomann now with, available 11.06.2010. Combo, Head & Cab.

Nice one. The combo, like the Blackstar HT5, has a 10" speaker though.
    The Blackstar HT Studio 20 would be my number one choice combo, but the head could be a good option with a decent 1x12 cab for the bedroom.

It's interesting to note they've changed the knobs compred to the prototype:

2757714_800.jpg

Funny that. Some member on this thread slatted the shiney controls. Now we have chickens.

Yeah, the front grille has also been changed. I like it, but I kinda prefer the shiny knobs. I'm still extremely tempted to get one, perhaps a Head and 1X12.

Yeah, the front grille has also been changed. I like it, but I kinda prefer the shiny knobs. I'm still extremely tempted to get one, perhaps a Head and 1X12.

Yerp. I suppose the chickens can come off anyway.

The 1x10" not really big enough, 12" speaker is the job, which i have here loaded with a 25w Greenback. I am not sure to get this or the Blackstar HT5 head or the Blackstar HT Studio 20 combo. The Studio would do bedroom and band jammin'.

• Advertisement

Thinking I'd probably root around for a second hand Orange 1x12 with a V30 if I grabbed the head, though I like the idea of having a small combo that would be easy to lug around, so it's very tempting. You know myself though, I really dig Engl amps, I find they're both versatily and capable of enough gain for my needs, so for me it would be hands down this over any other similar amp.

Thinking I'd probably root around for a second hand Orange 1x12 with a V30 if I grabbed the head, though I like the idea of having a small combo that would be easy to lug around, so it's very tempting. You know myself though, I really dig Engl amps, I find they're both versatily and capable of enough gain for my needs, so for me it would be hands down this over any other similar amp.

I have the dilemma of head and 1x12 or combo. But also the Blackstar gear is tempting for their Marshall like tone too.

If you prefer the tone of the Blackstar, go for that so. I love Engl tones, so this wee one has got me on all fronts; sound, features and looks. Are the Engl tones your kinda thing?

If you prefer the tone of the Blackstar, go for that so. I love Engl tones, so this wee one has got me on all fronts; sound, features and looks. Are the Engl tones your kinda thing?

I have never tried any ENGL. But general reviews are that they are a bit fizzy with the overdrive.

I have never tried any ENGL. But general reviews are that they are a bit fizzy with the overdrive.

Hmm, I think the fizzy criticism is something that's really just aimed at the Fireball/Powerball amps, as they're definitely geared solely towards metal, and I've found that the Fireball had some very harsh high-end. That shouldn't be taken as an indication of all their amps though, and this little one doesn't sound anything like the Fireball judging by the videos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Doesn't quite have the same visual coherence of the other Engl stuff though, does it?

I got the opposite impression of this from the Gigmaster 15. It seems they're going for a really round, fat tubey sound.

I like trashier tones(though not so much fizzier ones, which is why I find dual recs a bit bleh) and for an amp currently it's between this and a Peavey Bandit, which has the advantage of being music cheaper, possibly more versatile, larger speaker and reverb, but the disadvantage of having to be turned up maybe a bit too loud to get clean breakup, and being nearly twice as heavy as the ENGL.

The ENGL does seem a bit roundy to me. If I'm getting a proper reasonably priced tube amp, it seems like that's something you'd want to have. But I'd like to hear if, being made by a company known for it's big high gain metaller amps, it can do some nasty trashier stuff too(which doesn't require as much gain as you'd think).

I really need to hear more of the ENGL. The low end response of the Bandit would be really handy if I end up with a Baritone; I don't really have the cash for the Head/cab version.

Any other places have them up for preorder?

Advertisement