Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a new phone; Advice needed!

Options
  • 28-04-2010 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭

Ok my nokia n70 is seriously on its last legs now. The battery lasts 2 hours after full charging and about 5 minutes on a call.

Im looking at something along the iphone/htc line but know next to nothing about them. Basically what I want is a good reliable phone which I can access the internet from.

I use the website shareprice.co.uk daily and it would be really handy to be able to check it up when im away from home. They have a downloadable app for the iphone and also an android phone.

Now I know say if you have wireless in your own home you can use that but say im at a friends house with no broadband will I be able to use the internet on these or will it be like my phone at the minute where its that crappy mobile broadband that just drains all your credit in an instant?

Any advice would be welcome as ive been putting this off for ages now. Im currently on vodafone pay as you go but wouldnt mind changing to a bill say 30ish a month if it included some sort of internet useage aswell.

Any phone in particular quicker than the other at loading, internet etc?

I borrowed a htc TyTN II to test it out but I find it freezes up on me constantly from when I switch from the internet to say txt messaging etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

joe123 wrote: »
    Ok my nokia n70 is seriously on its last legs now. The battery lasts 2 hours after full charging and about 5 minutes on a call.

Im looking at something along the iphone/htc line but know next to nothing about them. Basically what I want is a good reliable phone which I can access the internet from.

I use the website shareprice.co.uk daily and it would be really handy to be able to check it up when im away from home. They have a downloadable app for the iphone and also an android phone.

Now I know say if you have wireless in your own home you can use that but say im at a friends house with no broadband will I be able to use the internet on these or will it be like my phone at the minute where its that crappy mobile broadband that just drains all your credit in an instant?

Any advice would be welcome as ive been putting this off for ages now. Im currently on vodafone pay as you go but wouldnt mind changing to a bill say 30ish a month if it included some sort of internet useage aswell.

Any phone in particular quicker than the other at loading, internet etc?

I borrowed a htc TyTN II to test it out but I find it freezes up on me constantly from when I switch from the internet to say txt messaging etc.
    Buy a HTC Desire, Smart €30 plan on Meteor.

200 Mins 200 Texts (500 if you get an app called cabbage) and 1GB Data

Costs €179 and €30 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Buy a HTC Desire, Smart €30 plan on Meteor.

200 Mins 200 Texts (500 if you get an app called cabbage) and 1GB Data

Costs €179 and €30 per month.
    Looks a good deal. Is the htc desire better than the other htc phones and the iphone?

Any vodafone deals worth looking at as perferably id like to stick with the same network...

Out of curiosity has anyone used the HTC TyTN II phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭t4k30

iPhone all the way its unparalleled !

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭BROWNE51

Or hold out for a decent Android handset(HTC normally 1st class),great o.s.I was using a Samsung Spica for a few months before it had an accidental bath.Excellent handset for the price...waiting on "funds" before I get a better model.Spent years with win mo and Symbian expensive handsetsJust my 2 cents.

Looks a good deal. Is the htc desire better than the other htc phones and the iphone?

Any vodafone deals worth looking at as perferably id like to stick with the same network...

Out of curiosity has anyone used the HTC TyTN II phone?
    Best HTC phone that works on Irish Networks. Better phones out now by HTC are the Incredible and the EVO 4G but they won't be coming to Ireland as they run on a completely different network band to Ireland.

Vodafone's tariffs for the Desire are pretty much terrible. Their lowest plan is €35 for an 18 month contract with a whopping 0 mins and 0 texts. You get 2GB data for your troubles though. With Meteor you get 200 Mins / 200 Texts (300 extra if you use an app called cabbage) and it costs you either €30 p/m for an 18mth contract or €35 p/m for 12 months.

Haven't used a TyTN but personally I wouldn't go for any Windows Mobile phone at the moment because it's going to be replaced fairly soon.

t4k30 wrote: »
    iPhone all the way its unparalleled !
    Unparalleled in how expensive it is or how locked down it is?
    BROWNE51 wrote: »
    Or hold out for a decent Android handset(HTC normally 1st class),great o.s.I was using a Samsung Spica for a few months before it had an accidental bath.Excellent handset for the price...waiting on "funds" before I get a better model.Spent years with win mo and Symbian expensive handsetsJust my 2 cents.
    The Desire is more than "decent" :D

• Advertisement

Vodafone are charging €200 and 35 a month for an iphone 3gs. You get free calls and texts vodafone to vodafone but outside that no extra minutes or texts :(

If it was the same bundle iphone v HTC desire which is the better phone?

Vodafone are charging €200 and 35 a month for an iphone 3gs. You get free calls and texts vodafone to vodafone but outside that no extra minutes or texts :(

If it was the same bundle iphone v HTC desire which is the better phone?
    HTC Desire. No contest.

Just wondering is there an marketplace thing on the htc tytn II? Was going to test out the app from shareprice mentioned here http://www.shareprice.co.uk/apps/android but cant seem to find any android market on the phone?

Ive the option to buy this tytn II for about 100 quid for so...yay or nay?

Just wondering is there an marketplace thing on the htc tytn II? Was going to test out the app from shareprice mentioned here http://www.shareprice.co.uk/apps/android but cant seem to find any android market on the phone?

Ive the option to buy this tytn II for about 100 quid for so...yay or nay?
    Stay well away from it tbh.

It runs on Windows Mobile 6 which is nowadays a very old OS. Windows 6.5 is being phased out now and will no longer be supported come the end of the year let alone Windows 6.0.

Symbian is even better than Windows Mobile. Get an Android phone, Windows Mobile is dead (For now at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

I'd go with an iPhone if you can get it cheaper than the desire :) Doubt it though :P

• Advertisement

Any pros and cons in the Iphone v HTC desire debate?

Do either have a faster Internet than the other? Or for moving through menus/apps etc?

I find with the HTC tytn II that it can freeze and theres a slight lag feel at times to it when moving through menus.

Also is the iphone 3gs the newest one and is there much difference between that and the normal 3g iphone?

Any pros and cons in the Iphone v HTC desire debate?

Do either have a faster Internet than the other? Or for moving through menus/apps etc?

I find with the HTC tytn II that it can freeze and theres a slight lag feel at times to it when moving through menus.

Also is the iphone 3gs the newest one and is there much difference between that and the normal 3g iphone?
    The iPhone is restricted and runs on pretty poor spec hardware. It has a great OS and a lot of apps but Android (imo) is much better.

Hardware wise the iPhone doesn't stand a chance against the Desire.

The web browsing on both is fairly similar speed wise but the Desire will be getting Flash 10.1. The iPhone won't be getting any form of flash.

The HTC tytn runs on Windows Mobile which is known to be prone to freezing.

Was thinking about the meteor htc desire but ive realised that at the minute id be better off staying with pre pay as I wouldnt be away from the computer that often to warrant an extra 10 euro a month for the internet access and paying a euro for a days access isnt that bad considering the time i need to use it.

I can get by on 20 euro a month along with using free texts to any network on vodafone. Most people id be in contact are on the vodafone network.

So that leaves me with the problem of having to buy a phone that will cost a fair bit.

The iphone is way to dear on pre pay and im guessing the desire will be too. Is there any phone say from 270 and under that would do a job? ie. I need good internet access as mentioned in my first post and then just an all round reliable phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

Vodafone will be releasing the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 on May 18, so that might be worth a think too.
    http://comingsoon.vodafone.ie/register/sonyericssonx10

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

You could get a HTC Diamond 2. I know its Windows based but I have no problem with it. You should get a good sim free one for the money you have.The Desire is Android based & Meteor have a better deal on it than Vodafone but their coverage may be dodgy depending where you live.Some people on the Vodafone forum are complaining that the Desire has a problem with some colours & are hoping for a patch to fix it.My partner has an i Phone & sometimes if we are out together,I can pick up a free WiFi & she can't.Also I don't like phones that are crippled by the networks or in this case Apple.
    Was thinking about the meteor htc desire but ive realised that at the minute id be better off staying with pre pay as I wouldnt be away from the computer that often to warrant an extra 10 euro a month for the internet access and paying a euro for a days access isnt that bad considering the time i need to use it.

I can get by on 20 euro a month along with using free texts to any network on vodafone. Most people id be in contact are on the vodafone network.

So that leaves me with the problem of having to buy a phone that will cost a fair bit.

The iphone is way to dear on pre pay and im guessing the desire will be too. Is there any phone say from 270 and under that would do a job? ie. I need good internet access as mentioned in my first post and then just an all round reliable phone?

Advertisement