Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling wannabie!!

• 28-04-2010 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,

I wanna cycle and was thinking the 'bike to work scheme' would be the perfect solution to getting a decent bike.
    However my employer is only offering the scheme to some employees, is this legal??

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,302 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No - scheme must be available to all employees/directors

Are you sure everyone works for the same employer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Pishogue

I doubt if that's legal. It's certainly not ethical. I'd be marching into your HR department and asking questions. It's seriously good discount if you are paying the top rate of tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 carddub

Hi Beastie, yeah we all work for the same employer but some people are on a new contract which they signed last year and I didn't sign so their saying I can't do the bike to work scheme?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

they are talking BS - you either work for the company on a permanent basis or you dont. Cant see how a difference in contract would come in to it. They cannot just offer the scheme to just some of their employees - I would call that discrimination and be kicking up a storm. Ask to speak to the person who is in charge of administering the scheme in your company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

here you go:- (email them this) from the terms of the scheme

Participation in the scheme is voluntary for employers. However, when an employer agrees to participate, he or she must make the scheme generally available, on an equal basis, to all employees requesting it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Op, I'd suggest you quote them from revenue.ie the part that says if they offer it to one employee then it must be offered to all.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,302 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

s118(5G) TCA 1997:

"...The exemption only applies where bicycles/safety equipment are made available by the employer generally to all of its directors and employees. The exemption does not apply where the employer provides a bicycle and/or bicycle safety equipment for selected employees or selected directors..."

Basically if they don't offer it to all employees/directors the scheme does not qualify (and those who have bought bikes lose the tax benefits)

When they offered new contracts, was there a different employer named?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭paulieb2006

Can you qualify for the scheme if you have a company car? Work for an Alarm company and we all have vans or cars, cant really cycle to work but wouldnt mind getting someting from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭kenmc

Could you not leave the car in the office sometimes and cycle to the office (putting the bike into the van if need be)? In theory at least, it has to be used for commuting. It doesn't say how often or how far it has to be used for commuting.
    "I use it every morning to cycle to the gatehouse, where Jeeves awaits me with the Bentley to bring me through all that nasty traffic that pater warned me against" must surely be allowed too no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 carddub

No it's the same employer name beasty?Where did you get that quote?I wouldn't mind having a copy and paste session and send it to all my colleagues!!

• Advertisement

Can you qualify for the scheme if you have a company car? Work for an Alarm company and we all have vans or cars, cant really cycle to work but wouldnt mind getting someting from it.
    Yes - company car/bus pass etc makes no difference - you simply need to intend to use the bike mainly for commuting.

carddub wrote: »
    No it's the same employer name beasty?Where did you get that quote?I wouldn't mind having a copy and paste session and send it to all my colleagues!!
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/about/foi/s16/income-tax-capital-gains-tax-and-corporation-tax/part-05/05-04-08.pdf

There's a guidance document also:
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/practitioner/law/bik-exemption-for-bicycles.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Don't go shooting off an email to all in the company quoting the Revenue about it not being offered to all. Could p1ss off the boss who could scrap it for everyone. Discuss your finding reasonablly with the person saying you can't have it.

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Don't go shooting off an email to all in the company quoting the Revenue about it not being offered to all. Could p1ss off the boss who could scrap it for everyone. Discuss your finding reasonablly with the person saying you can't have it.

I would agree with this approach - however if you employer does withdraw the scheme, and has never operated it properly, any tax benefits to those who have participated are lost, and I would expect the employer is likely to have to foot the bill. Hence it would certainly not be in their interests to "withdraw" (if they bothered to work it out, although I admit this may be a big assumption)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,168 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Beasty wrote: »
    if you employer does withdraw the scheme, and has never operated it properly, any tax benefits to those who have participated are lost, and I would expect the employer is likely to have to foot the bill.

Why? Surely once a bike has purchased it's all done and dusted.

Lumen wrote: »
    Why? Surely once a bike has purchased it's all done and dusted.
    If the scheme is not made available to all employees, it does not qualify. No tax benefits are available. However in my view this is the employer's issue. If it happened to me, as an employee, I would require my employer to pay over any tax and PRSI on a grossed up basis, leaving me with the correct overall result (on the basis the employer has not delivered a tax-free bike, as they had agreed to).

Obviously this requires the company to volunteer they have not operated the scheme correctly, or the Revenue to establish it themselves (either through audit, or perhaps a disgruntled employee notifying them)

Advertisement