Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French alps trip - advice

• 28-04-2010 8:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19

Hi!

As things turn out, I have the opportunity to take my roadie to the French alps for a week this June. I am new to road biking, so, if anyone has any advice / tips on things to definitely do or don't do, bring or not bring etc, they would be much appreciated.

Also, any recommendations for a decent pair of bike sunglasses?

Many thanks, Katie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

given that your new, if you havent already got one (chances are you have) you should have a tripple crankset (3 rings on the front where the pedals are)
    Ive been there lots of times over the years, but my experiences would have been alot different to yours, and probably your approach to the trip itself. One thing I can say though is that if you planning to go to high passes (over 1500m) take cool weather jacket for descents, in fact if your anything other than a fair weather cyclist take your winter wardrobe with you.

where are you thinking of going?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭RoubX

Agree with previous post. If you're new to cycling you'd be mad to go there without a triple and a 28 ring on the back. I am not the best climber (to say the least) but went up Ventoux last year. Even the best in our group was in the lowest gear after 3kms!! Apart from that and a jersey, or helicopter, for the descent a few grams here and there is not going to be the issue.

Actually, now that I think about it, the best thing we took was two people who don't cycle and acted as support crew. It was amazing to know someone was going to be there with water or gels when you got stuck, and lunch at chalet Reynard too!! We were spoiled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Very important to pace yourself. The climbs are very very long so best to get down into your easiest gear and take it easier- much easier- than you feel you are capable of. If you are a third way up the climb and still feeling fresh (unlikely!) then you can raise the tempo just a little bit. When you get to 2/3 up if you are still feeling good then ramp it up and go for it.

Generally the pain will come to you so don't go looking for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Bring as much liquid as you can carry, 2 bottles minimum, depending on the climb/distance between water stops. Did Mont Ventoux last year as well (from 2 sides) and it was important to keep hydrated!
    And as the guys say, triple crankset and pace yourself.
    A good site for climb profiles is Climbbybike
    It will give you some idea of what you're letting yourself in for :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

Bring fuel .. coca cola gets you up alps.
    There is a a really beautiful village called beaufort in france near enough to the swiss border there are 100s of kms of marked loops from there with great climbs.

http://www.cycling-challenge.com/cormet-de-roseland/

I find guide books useful ..
    I used this for touring probably also useful if staying in the one spot.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cycling-French-Alps-Selected-Cicerone/dp/1852845511/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272556963&sr=1-1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭redmenace1

katie_h wrote: »
    Hi!

As things turn out, I have the opportunity to take my roadie to the French alps for a week this June. I am new to road biking, so, if anyone has any advice / tips on things to definitely do or don't do,

Hi Katie, if you are cycling alone bring extra supplies of food, drink, spare tubes, money and as has been mentioned clothing. In fact even even you have someone with you bring extra supplies! The weather is very unpredictable and if you go off any of the main routes and passes you will find it a long way home if anything goes wrong.

I wouldn't go near the big passes as a novice roadie. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭stopped_clock

If you need to dismantle your bike for travelling, remember to mark the height of the seatpost.

When planning spins, distances are magnified a lot when you've got climbs of 10-20kms. Make sure you've warmed up before starting a climb - it does help.

If it's hot, add something like Nuun to your drinks to replace electrolytes.

Check that your accommodation has bike facilities and things like a track pump and tools so that you don't travel with what you don't need to.

As a precaution, carry a mobile phone, and save the number of your accommodation or a local cab company.

If you suffer from 'Irish skin', get some P20.

And take a camera!

On the sunglasses front, Oakleys are good. I've a pair of Flak Jackets, and Radars are popular too.

Advertisement