Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Garden 2010

Options
  • 28-04-2010 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭

www.rte.ie/tv/supergarden

RTE ONE
    WEDNESDAY

This was on last year and was very interesting to watch the different styles of planting and design. The judges opinions were also interesting! I opened this thread for chat and discussions on the show! :)

Super Garden

00028195-150.jpg
    Mary Reynolds presents the 2010 series about five amateur garden designers who compete to showcase their garden at this years 2010 Bloom Festival.

Super Garden Mentor and Garden Designer Mary Reynolds (Ireland's only Gold Medal winner at Chelsea) is on hand to offer our amateurs advice and issue warnings throughout. On the final day, work stops in the garden, and the Super Garden panel of three judges headed by Gary Graham (Project Manager of Bloom) arrive to inspect the garden and mark each on Originality, Impact, Planting and Quality of Finish.

With just five weeks to design and build the gardens, our amateurs must comply with budget constraints and the owners brief, it proves to be quite a challenge.

The winner of Super Garden will be announced on the sixth and final episode of the series, when all the designers and judges will meet in a more convivial atmosphere. The prize will be awarded to the amateur voted Super Garden designer 2010, and with it the life-changing opportunity to recreate the winning garden design at the prestigious Bloom Garden Festival in June 2010, and take their first step into the world of professional garden design.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

maybe its me, but i did not agree with a lot of the judgeing, i thought a lot of nit picking was going on, then again my idea of a garden is a lot more traditional than was designed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

flutered wrote: »
    maybe its me, but i did not agree with a lot of the judgeing, i thought a lot of nit picking was going on, then again my idea of a garden is a lot more traditional than was designed.

:D I thought that decscribing the judging as "interesting" was the most politically correct way of putting it. I thought some of their comments last year were downright cruel.

In my opinion a garden should be what makes the owner happy, there shouldn't be any rules.

I agree with you, I'd also prefer a much more traditional garden and I'm a plants person rather than the marble sitting-room outside with very few plants.

Just a reminder:

This is on tonight, I'm looking forward to seeing it! :)

So far an awful lot of concrete and paint!

Wonder how the planting will make it look?

Week 1

ffs I spent ages typing a very professional summary of my opinion and reasons why I didn't like it. Pressed submit and woo hoo outer space!

My opinion:

It was another room outside, too much hard landscaping and not enough plants!

I liked the purple wall colour, I liked the mosaic.

I hated the planting, never seen such tight/scabby planting! Needed much better selection and varied heights and sizes.

A eucalyptus tree in a housing estate?

I did feel sorry for Emer, lots of water, muck and hard work at the start of the job.

I don't know why the judges have to be so condescending, they did this last year too. It's like they get really personal against the designer.

Anyway this week's garden was not my type of garden at all. I love plants rather than all that concrete!

What did you think of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

foxinsox wrote: »

I did feel sorry for Emer, lots of water, muck and hard work at the start of the job.

I don't know why the judges have to be so condescending, they did this last year too. It's like they get really personal against the designer.

Anyway this week's garden was not my type of garden at all. I love plants rather than all that concrete!

What did you think of it?

hard work:confused: apart from painting i don't think she did a tap, it was her mates that were getting stuck in

apart from that i taught it was very neat & modern looking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

She is a bit of twit, I thought the judges were a bit harsh and maybe it might look better when it has matured.

the head judge is trying to be one of the dragons, i cringed when he bent down to cast his wye along the top of one wall to see was it level,
    there was enough concrete and shingle there to build a decent sized room,
    a garden in my opinion has plants shrubs veg a shady area to relax in, some wood and shale possibly rope, are all the props one need. every thing else just lakes up space and money, i would pit mine against the winner, for an online challange and win.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Yeah was not mad about it to be honest and hated the purple wall. I'd agree with the comments about far too much hard landscaping and not enough plants/green but i missed the begining of it and if that is what the client wanted then who am i to argue it.

I would also agree that the judges try to hard to be dragon den/xfactor ish!!!

Looking for to seeing waht different people come up with during the series though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Ginko

After watching the last series I was looking forward to the latest one, but the producers seem to be sticking with the same "Dragons Den" approach.
    The judges seem to be out to get the designer from the beginning, finding only negative points in the designs. It appears they strive to make the designers look as amateaur as possible.
    The first contestant ,Eimear, graduated as a landscape acrhitect. Although I did find it quiet funny when she started to cry while staring into a mucky hole. I think I would be a bit worried if I hired a designer and found them crying in my back garden.
    I think the judges are a bit over critical, soil depth and a bad paint job are an easy fix. What struck me was the amount of paving and decking. A large deck next to a large patio, with another large deck at the back. Why? On such a small budget why not lose the paving in the center and use grass instead. For me this was what the garden lacked the most. A lawn would bring a lush colour and soften what I find to be quiet a cold garden.
    It also looks like they will have to buy their plants in Woodies. Higher prices and a smaller selection than a nursery.
    I was also wondering about the judges requirement of a veg patch. Is this because "grow your own" is the new "organic". Generally veg are not as pleasing to the eye as plants and flowers. I do like fruit and veg in a garden, I have both in mine but it should be left up to the client or designer to make that choice, not the panel.
    But the thing that bothers me the most about this program is the unrealistic bugdet. €6000 no way. Excluding the freebies and no labour costs, add up some of the spending. Hire of a digger (I doubt a girl from Howth has many friends with mini diggers) 6 skips about €150 each, hardcore, paving, blocks, cement, decking and sub frame, paint, new soil (5 tons, around €75 per ton in small bags), purple slate, BBQ, furniture and still €1500 left for plants. HOW?
    This in turn gives viewers a unrealistic view of what a garden like this would cost in real. This is more like a €20,000 garden. If RTE are going to do programs like this, why not be up front about the real cost, even as a foot note at the end.
    All said, I do enjoy the "show", and it does show, along with Bloom festival, that Ireland has a wealth of quality garden designers.
    Just have to ride the recession out.

• Advertisement

the designer made several remarks as to how she was qualified in her chosen field, we all know that, what she has never said who well she is qualified, when she found the mud and water why did she not fill it with rocks and hardcore, it was only holding up a garden not a tower block, the first rule in any thing any one is at is common sense, the last series lacked this, plus there is no effort is being made to correct it this time around.
    the majority of viewers who will watch this program are looking for ideas for their own garden, the cost of these monstrositys will put them off immediatly, can we not have a show that is simple likable and educational, or is this too little to ask.:eek:

fryup wrote: »
    hard work:confused: apart from painting i don't think she did a tap, it was her mates that were getting stuck in

apart from that i taught it was very neat & modern looking

Yeah, sorry I get your point, she didn't actually do the hard work! But I guess I meant the stress, I know I'd be stressed out if I was in that situation.

I don't think I'd be in that position because I would never be putting in all that hard landscaping.

From reading the replies here it just goes to show that everybody has different likes and dislikes.

I really don't like the way the judges do seem to be out to get the designer!

I'm sure if they judged even an award winning garden they would still be nitpicking!

As far as I know they probably do have to get their plants from Woodies, I find that their plants selection and quality has really improved. Eimear could defnitely have done much better in her plant selection and I don't think that it mattered where she got her plants. I think it was the selection and mix she used that was the problem.

Hopefully next week's designer will have more planting!

should not the largest amount of cash be spent on plants or wood etc not concrete, tiles etc, a garden is not a building.

REMINDER: Tonight 8pm RTE ONE

Navan man James McConnell, is given just five weeks and a budget of €6000 to transform a garden in Clontarf to meet the needs of both the owner and his 10 ducks.

I actually quite liked last weeks "Duck Garden".

I thought judging by his drawings it was going to be a disaster, but I think it worked!

The only planting I wasn't mad about was the Irises around the pond, too uniform, I would have put in much more varied planting around it to make it look more natural.

It's on again tonight at 8pm on RTE ONE...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Lasereye

the owners of tonights garden owners must be really pee'd of, looks like the garden needs to be re-done

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

This was my first time to watch this programme and I was shocked! The judges must take responsibility for permitting an unrealistic project to proceed.

An inexperienced designer motivated by the prospect of BLOOM but a €6k in 5weeks? What are the programme makers trying to achieve?

There is no joy in tearing apart someone's efforts when it was doomed from the outset.

as i have stated before they are not gardens, gardens have plants, veg, trees, also they have soul, none of the gardens i see makes one want to smile and say i would like a little bit of of that in my garden, how many viewers would take on board the gardens we have seen and will see ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

flutered wrote: »
    as i have stated before they are not gardens, gardens have plants, veg, trees, also they have soul, none of the gardens i see makes one want to smile and say i would like a little bit of of that in my garden, how many viewers would take on board the gardens we have seen and will see ?.

Your definition is your opinion but in a broader sense a narrow view of what many owners may want or wish for in a garden. Increasingly gardens are functional, lifestyle influenced spaces. In comparison to traditional ornamental gardens, contemporary gardens today are quite different and often more complex spaces. Of course many will feature plants, colour etc but other factors influence type and extent of planted areas. Real Gardens can be quite varied from planted areas to Outdoor living space to children sports areas to Pet enclosures etc etc. They also contain many items (often taken for granted including waste bins, compost bins, clothes lines, oil tanks etc etc. None of these items are features or focal points but part of everyday real gardens.

• Advertisement

Your definition is your opinion but in a broader sense a narrow view of what many owners may want or wish for in a garden. Increasingly gardens are functional, lifestyle influenced spaces. In comparison to traditional ornamental gardens, contemporary gardens today are quite different and often more complex spaces. Of course many will feature plants, colour etc but other factors influence type and extent of planted areas. Real Gardens can be quite varied from planted areas to Outdoor living space to children sports areas to Pet enclosures etc etc. They also contain many items (often taken for granted including waste bins, compost bins, clothes lines, oil tanks etc etc. None of these items are features or focal points but part of everyday real gardens.
    actually i have 2 play areas, quite a few dogs and cats, the idea of spending an obscene amount of money and end up with a sore thumb to me is abhorront, everything in its own place,

I quite liked the last garden, aside from the construction problems which are all easy fixes. Missing grout, bad cuts in the shed and a loose slab. No big deal and could come up on any build. The point is not the construction but more the design. I dont think that if she has a full paying client in the future she would be using her Mam as a labourer.
    The reason a person hires a designer in the first place is to come up with ideas that they themselves could not. Anybody can do curvy beds and a veg patch. I thought she had some nice ideas, I liked the colour scheme,and hard landscaping worked well. The planting could have been a bit better, to provide a bit more interest at different times of the year, but its always going to be hard with a lab running around.

To say that these gardens are "monstrosities" or "not gardens" is ridiculous. They may not be to your taste or particular style but none the less they are true representation of what urban gardens today look more like. The garden now is seen more as an extra room, to entertain and relax. Not to toil in mature and wellies growing patatoes and cabbage. Besides, with the size of most new gardens today you wouldn't be growing much of either.

Gardens are a reflection of the lives of the people who own them. Most people nowdays have little real knowledge about veg and plants. When you can buy anything at any time of the year in the shops, is it any wonder nobody knows when things are really in season. People want plants that look good, are green all the time and require little attention.

The clients in this particular case asked for a statement garden, thats what they got. Do you really think they are that concerned with the plants. Yes it is true that in the past the plants were the main focus of a garden, but styles and trendy have changed. There is more of an emphasis on materials and features.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

I wonder if it will be on again next year? I woudn't mind taking part. Anyone here go through the selection process?? I've no professional experience, but a hobby, but it would be great to give it a lash!! :D

I loved her design of the fabric hangings on the back wall in between the white birch.

Still way too much hard landscaping for my liking, but I kind of liked it. I felt so sorry for her, I think she took on way too much and I'm not suprised she was so skinny!

I think she got the job done, ok there were a few things that needed attention but overall it was ok.

lalorm wrote: »
    I wonder if it will be on again next year? I woudn't mind taking part. Anyone here go through the selection process?? I've no professional experience, but a hobby, but it would be great to give it a lash!! :D

I'd say it probably will be on, it promotes and advertises for Bloom.

I saw entry forms in garden magazines and in some garden centres asking for entrants.

I don't think I'd be able for the judges comments if I did enter, I do not like their style at all.

But I'd say it could be a great challenge!

tonights show was a nice garden but a bit boring, but next week looks exciting

That garden was tiny, but what an enthusiatic guy. He was very excited about the whole thing. I have to agree, I thought in was a bit boring as well. I liked the curved corners covers with zinc and thats about it. The different mixes of gravel looked brutal, made it look like something you'd see at a roadstone display. From the 3d model I thought it was going to look alot different.

Only one left, here's how I see it so far.
    1. Wow garden (Maynooth)
    2. Duck garden (Artane)
    3. Sun garden (Mullingar)
    4. Cottage garden (Skerries)

Close between 2 and 3 for second place.
    no one commented on the duck garden, the more I looked at it the more I liked it. It has a bit of character (like the Navan man) and it wasn't as sterile at the sun garden.

How do you rate them?

Ginko wrote: »
    That garden was tiny, but what an enthusiatic guy. He was very excited about the whole thing. I have to agree, I thought in was a bit boring as well. I liked the curved corners covers with zinc and thats about it. The different mixes of gravel looked brutal, made it look like something you'd see at a roadstone display. From the 3d model I thought it was going to look alot different.

Only one left, here's how I see it so far.
    1. Wow garden (Maynooth)
    2. Duck garden (Artane)
    3. Sun garden (Mullingar)
    4. Cottage garden (Skerries)

Close between 2 and 3 for second place.
    no one commented on the duck garden, the more I looked at it the more I liked it. It has a bit of character (like the Navan man) and it wasn't as sterile at the sun garden.

How do you rate them?

I said I quite liked the duck garden, I thought it was about the nearest to client requirements and to the brief. I thought his fruit and vegetable patch was fantastic.

Last night, the cottage/coastal garden. Can't remember his name, he was fantastic, full of life and seemed to really enjoy the job. I liked him and what he was trying to do.

I'm afraid the only thing I liked about his garden was the curved zinc corners and the tree fern (before it was buried).

The gravel was horrendous, you should always go with the local colouring of gravel/stone, too much going on. I think he should have chosen either cottage garden style OR coastal planting, the half and half effect in my opinion didn't work.

So far my favourite is "The Duck Garden" :)

I said I quite liked the duck garden, I thought it was about the nearest to client requirements and to the brief. I thought his fruit and vegetable patch was fantastic.

Yes you did, sorry about that :eek:
    the tree fern (before it was buried).
    I dont know why he buried the tree fern, it takes so long for them to grow to a height. He should have mounded the soil and replanted it on top. What a waste of a beautiful plant.

I thought it was quiet funny when one of the judges pulled out a plant to find it still potted, and he wasn't pulled up on that.

• Advertisement

1st. week 3maynooth garden(but disqualified for a shappy finish)
    so
    1st. week 2, duck garden, functional, in budget, fitting brief
    2nd. week 1, hard surfaces but interestingly nice
    3rd. week4 , nice but boring

Advertisement