Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

have problem with doorbell not working do i need an electrian

Options
  • 28-04-2010 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

had a problem a few years back and got someone to look at it, what is the average call out charge for an electrician

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭stellarartois

i'd say you do need one yeah.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

NorthDub wrote: »
    had a problem a few years back and got someone to look at it, what is the average call out charge for an electrician
    Varies a lot €40+
    A door bell is basically an on/off switch.
    Check power is coming from power supply
    Short out door bell connections.
    Check power is reaching bell.
    Those 3 checks will tell you the problem ,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

I reckon you'd get a pretty good wireless doorbell for 40 euro+..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

aido79 wrote: »

A simple solution alright. Argos have a good range of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

If you can fix the wired bell then do, wireless bells are notorious for giving trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

You can get a qote from http://www.onlinetradesmen.ie/ .

Check your fusebox, if theres a fuse for it and make sure all the switchs are on.
    If possible open up the doorbell and doorbell button, then make sure they are connected. Also, make sure you have your 'bell' in the doorbell working properly.. This is a simple jobby and it would be very easy to fix it yourself!:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Short out door bell connections.
    Good advice from Koolkid, but I think he means short out the connections at the door bell push switch to see if the switch itself is faulty. Shorting out the transformer or the bell itself would not be a good idea.

I find that they never last.

Thanks 2011. Maybe I should have clarified that better.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

Tim M-U wrote: »
    You can get a qote from http://www.onlinetradesmen.ie/

anybody ever used this site or got any work from it? or know anything about it even

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

koolkid wrote: »
    Thanks 2011. Maybe I should have clarified that better.
    No bother!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Foxman09

There is no need to find an electrician to repair an aged door bell. Just get a new one. I don't know how much will an electrician charge in your region. But they often charge me over $40 in our state. I just ordered a quality doorbell from sourcingmap where you will find lots of wireless doorbells. Wish it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Depends how handy you are really.

It could be the bell, the switch the wires or the transformer in the fusebox. I'd have no problem doing it personally, as I'll tackle most jobs myself, but if you're a little uncertain or hazy, get a spark in. You can never be too careful with electrical safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Usually the doorbell contacts inside the push button oxidises and the green copper oxide builds up prventing the circuit from being made.

Disconect power supply - take off your door bell and clean the contacts back to lovely shiny new copper and then it's back in action.

Advertisement