Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Intake end of this year,

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

rossi272 wrote: »
    the figure waiting is nowhere near 500 . its approx. 150 and the intake will be small enough compared to previous years probably 100-150 max.

So by your reckoning they will only take people who are already in the system at this stage, as in completed medical etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

So by your reckoning they will only take people who are already in the system at this stage, as completed medical etc.?

That was kind of a given anyway, use up people in the system and then start a new campaign..

But again, no one really knows what's going to happen for definite.

That was kind of a given anyway, use up people in the system and then start a new campaign..

But again, no one really knows what's going to happen for definite.
    Either way, I'm gonna prepare as much as possible, even if it takes 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭seedorf117

not an expert on this but surely they need a certain amount of people on the panel waiting to be trained in the college? So when the next batch of people are sent to templemore, a new drive has to begin which id imagine there will be 50,000 plus applying madness!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

seedorf117 wrote: »
    not an expert on this but surely they need a certain amount of people on the panel waiting to be trained in the college? So when the next batch of people are sent to templemore, a new drive has to begin which id imagine there will be 50,000 plus applying madness!!

Between the people who are stuck at whatever stage in the system, people like me who really want to get in but haven't applied, and the 400,000 on the live register who would take ANY job going, its gonna be crazy!

I know some people say the criteria is written into the law, but they'll have to find some way to whittle down the number of applicants or recruiters will be bogged down for months sorting through them,.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Between the people who are stuck at whatever stage in the system, people like me who really want to get in but haven't applied, and the 400,000 on the live register who would take ANY job going, its gonna be crazy!

I know some people say the criteria is written into the law, but they'll have to find some way to whittle down the number of applicants or recruiters will be bogged down for months sorting through them,.

The criteria are not statute-based, that's like that nonsense that a Garda can't arrest you if he's not wearing his hat.

klong wrote: »
    The criteria are not statute-based, that's like that nonsense that a Garda can't arrest you if he's not wearing his hat.

Really?? I saw in the other threads that it would take a year to change the criteria.

I suppose the only thing to do is wait. Most of the information here is hearsay and 'friend of a friend' stuff, I hope AGS issues a release specifying the date and criteria for applications soon.

Just because it takes a year to change the criteria doesn't mean they're statute-based.

Can anyone point me in the direction of legislation setting out the requirements?

You're right, most of the "info" here is hearsay and can't be trusted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

klong wrote: »
    Just because it takes a year to change the criteria doesn't mean they're statute-based.

Can anyone point me in the direction of legislation setting out the requirements?

You're right, most of the "info" here is hearsay and can't be trusted.

To my knowledge there is no legislation specifically for AGS.

If AGS management what to change entry requirements....they will and can do so over night.

My point exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Waiting Game

Hi All
    just to say to those of you who play contact sports be extra careful..I got bang of a ball playing soccer lost sight in my right eye thankfully my sight came back when I went to the eye and ear hopsital...I kept thinking my garda career was over before it even started..we went through alot to get here and alot of waiting for an injury to get in the way..personally I'll quit contact sports for a while run instead..look after yourselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭sitja

good advice, im a fighter!! might stay out of the ring for awhile!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭podsieboy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Waiting Game

podsieboy wrote: »

Great find Podsieboy confirmation we will be kept!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭podsieboy

yep was asked yday so i suppose added today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

Hi All
    just to say to those of you who play contact sports be extra careful..I got bang of a ball playing soccer lost sight in my right eye thankfully my sight came back when I went to the eye and ear hopsital...I kept thinking my garda career was over before it even started..we went through alot to get here and alot of waiting for an injury to get in the way..personally I'll quit contact sports for a while run instead..look after yourselves!

ah sure it could be months before we get in, unwrap the cotton wool and keep playing soccer!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭rossi272

does anyone have a link to these new recommendations for entry into the guards or is it all just hearsay?

podsieboy wrote: »

He says that those with 'a Physical Competency Test, a Medical Examination and also Character Vetting' will get through. I think it was established on another thread that there was about 50 or so who met those requirements

What about those who only completed one or two of these steps?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

There was a little discussion on it here.
    does anyone have a link to these new recommendations for entry into the guards or is it all just hearsay?

• Advertisement

yeah i haven't seen any paperwork anywhere on it though... if the requirement is to have an ofa course done under the new recommendations then i would be advertising these to potential recruits but there is nothing about it anywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/An%20Garda%20S%C3%ADoch%C3%A1na%20Training%20and%20Development%20Review%20Group%20Report%202009.pdf

its in there towards the middle you just have to go thru it

da__flash wrote: »

Page 233

The Review Group recommends the following pre-selection requirements:

a) certification of ability to swim

b) certification in first aid

c) certification in manual handling

d) holder of a full Irish driving licence

e) certified holder of a European computer driving licence (ECDL) (or higher
    information technology certification)

f) have a minimum of 140 CAO points.

Page 233

took the words out of my mouth i was just to lazy to go look for them again :cool:

da__flash wrote: »
    took the words out of my mouth i was just to lazy to go look for them again :cool:
    fair play lads...hands up i am getting lazier by the day:D

fair play lads...hands up i am getting lazier by the day:D

Want to pull the finger out if you want to get in:P:P:D:D:pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Want to pull the finger out if you want to get in:P:P:D:D:pac::pac:
    ah i've done my time in the guards nga (8 years) though i would probably take it if i got offered it again.have everything done meds pct etc., but i do a lot of instruction and will be advertising occupational first aid courses to potential recruits if it is needed as a prerequisite to joining...:D:D

im beginning to think there isnt going to be an intake this year....

Brian O'Shea (Waterford, Labour)

Question 63: To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the strength of An Garda Síochána at the latest date for which figures are available broken down by full members, those who have attested but not yet concluded their training, those in training; the expected number that will be recruited during 2010; the anticipated numbers at each above category at the end of 2010; the number of members of the force who are expected to retire during 2010; the number who will be recruited in the first half of 2010; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [19616/10]

Dermot Ahern (Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform; Louth, Fianna Fail)

I am informed by the Garda authorities that as at the latest date for which completed returns are available, the personnel strength of An Garda Síochána was 14,532. This figure includes 709 probationer Gardaí who have been attested and will graduate over the next six months. On that date there were also 229 unattested students in training. In relation to retirements, around 80 applications for early retirement have been received so far this year.

The Garda Commissioner is closely monitoring the levels of Garda strength around the country, taking into account the level of retirements and attestations of students. I will continue to consult with my colleague the Minister for Finance on when a resumption of Garda recruitment will be necessary so as to keep Garda numbers up to approved levels. In all this, my priority is to maintain Garda operational strength. A necessary first step will be a competition to establish a panel of approved candidates and, as I recently indicated, I believe that this should take place later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kev-bt

shakin wrote: »
    im beginning to think there isnt going to be an intake this year....

Brian O'Shea (Waterford, Labour)

Question 63: To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the strength of An Garda Síochána at the latest date for which figures are available broken down by full members, those who have attested but not yet concluded their training, those in training; the expected number that will be recruited during 2010; the anticipated numbers at each above category at the end of 2010; the number of members of the force who are expected to retire during 2010; the number who will be recruited in the first half of 2010; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [19616/10]

Dermot Ahern (Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform; Louth, Fianna Fail)

I am informed by the Garda authorities that as at the latest date for which completed returns are available, the personnel strength of An Garda Síochána was 14,532. This figure includes 709 probationer Gardaí who have been attested and will graduate over the next six months. On that date there were also 229 unattested students in training. In relation to retirements, around 80 applications for early retirement have been received so far this year.

The Garda Commissioner is closely monitoring the levels of Garda strength around the country, taking into account the level of retirements and attestations of students. I will continue to consult with my colleague the Minister for Finance on when a resumption of Garda recruitment will be necessary so as to keep Garda numbers up to approved levels. In all this, my priority is to maintain Garda operational strength. A necessary first step will be a competition to establish a panel of approved candidates and, as I recently indicated, I believe that this should take place later this year.

I see after all the good news in the recent weeks the negativity is back in this forum again....at the very end he said that recruitment should take place later this year. He is also already on record of saying that there WILL be recruitment this year, what more do you want??!! Also when them 229 unattested students are attested then templemore will be empty and I cant see that happening, just relax and take it as it comes.:rolleyes:

kev-bt wrote: »
    I see after all the good news in the recent weeks the negativity is back in this forum again

it was only a matter of time do wasnt it;):cool::pac:

I see after all the good news in the recent weeks the negativity is back in this forum again....at the very end he said that recruitment should take place later this year. He is also already on record of saying that there WILL be recruitment this year, what more do you want??!! Also when them 229 unattested students are attested then templemore will be empty and I cant see that happening, just relax and take it as it comes.:rolleyes:

Templemore is empty......it used to cater for 1,000 at any one time. And those students are to be attested this week. That ends all the students presently in training.

• Advertisement

its not negativity more realism. Think about it, iirc at the height of accelerated intakes between a new competition and intakes was at best 6 months now they are not going to start a new intake in early december so latest this year is early november. Rewind 6 months to may! its the 19th today so unless there is and advertisement asap and a delayed intake it aint happenin this year. Thats just what im thinking and going on past experiences. Now obviously this competition is unpredictable and they could announce a small intake for 4 weeks time and i really wish they would, unfortunately i dont see one happening this year. i really hope im wrong though.:)

Templemore is empty......it used to cater for 1,000 at any one time. And those students are to be attested this week. That ends all the students presently in training.

has there been much more courses provided to gardai since the decrease on student numbers?

has there been much more courses provided to gardai since the decrease on student numbers?

Bucket all extra courses.....

its not negativity more realism. Think about it, iirc at the height of accelerated intakes between a new competition and intakes was at best 6 months now they are not going to start a new intake in early december so latest this year is early november. Rewind 6 months to may! its the 19th today so unless there is and advertisement asap and a delayed intake it aint happenin this year. Thats just what im thinking and going on past experiences. Now obviously this competition is unpredictable and they could announce a small intake for 4 weeks time and i really wish they would, unfortunately i dont see one happening this year. i really hope im wrong though.:)

Me too, are you talking about a new competition or intake this year? What stage are you at i.e. everything completed, medical etc.

Me too, are you talking about a new competition or intake this year? What stage are you at i.e. everything completed, medical etc.

im guessing a new competition this year with a view to an intake next year,just a guess going on past experiences.

I have everything done

im guessing a new competition this year with a view to an intake next year,just a guess going on past experiences.

I have everything done

Oh right im confused, why are you worried about a competition so is you have everything done? A competition has nothing to do with us on waiting list to go in. :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pete_cork

Right, I'm new to boards.ie. Ive read that Dermot Ahern said that recruitment will recommence before the end of the year and ive read that those on the panel will be accomodated at some point. Ive never applied to AGS before but will be doing so this year.

What are the likely numbers to be recruited? And is it the case that those who are new applicants will have limited opportunity given the number of people already in the system??

pete_cork wrote: »
    Right, I'm new to boards.ie. Ive read that Dermot Ahern said that recruitment will recommence before the end of the year and ive read that those on the panel will be accomodated at some point. Ive never applied to AGS before but will be doing so this year.

What are the likely numbers to be recruited? And is it the case that those who are new applicants will have limited opportunity given the number of people already in the system??
    nobody knows, all speculation at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 tiring wait

When those students are attested this week ( is that same as passing out) am i right in saying that there are 2 more classes of 100 to go. One class is on there phase 4 since march and due to graduate about december or january and the other 100 after them. What im trying to ask is will the college be empty of all students ( except for reserves now and again) from next week for the remainder of the year? Sorry about the long windness of the question, hope it makes sense:):):)

When those students are attested this week ( is that same as passing out) am i right in saying that there are 2 more classes of 100 to go. One class is on there phase 4 since march and due to graduate about december or january and the other 100 after them. What im trying to ask is will the college be empty of all students ( except for reserves now and again) from next week for the remainder of the year? Sorry about the long windness of the question, hope it makes sense:):):)

No. The students (with no powers) were attested to the force (given powers) They must now do their 9 months of phase four probation and then back to the college for two weeks and passing out. Full class of about 250. There are approx 2 other phases on Phase 4 at present so thats three in total to pass out.

So over the next 9 months.....the college will be full for 6 weeks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement