Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenacres/Jacques Bistro

Options
  • 28-04-2010 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or has this place disimproved over the last while?

I really liked the place when I first went there - good food and coffee and pleasant service - but the last few times I've been there I've found the coffee was only so-so and the service was deplorable, especially on my last two visits there.

The second last time we were sitting outside and actually had to go in and ask for a waiter/waitress to come out to take our order. After another 5 minutes we had to ask again for service. It then took at least 15-20 minutes (no exaggeration) for them to bring out our order - there's no way that 2 coffees should take that long. There was an English family seated at the table next to us and they had the same issue. Worse still, there was no apology from the staff and the manager didn't appear all too concerned, and with a bad grace offered us a free refill when we complained, which we didn't accept (we'd been there for nearly an hour - there was no chance that we'd spend even more time there!)

The last time I was there I took care to sit inside so as to be at least able to flag a waiter/waitress from my table. The restaurant was pretty quiet, maybe 2 or 3 other tables occupied, but it still took a minimum of about 7 minutes for a staff member to even approach me. When they did they asked if I was ready to order - but they hadn't even given me a menu!! Took another ten minutes for them to come back to take my order, and nearly sulked because all I ordered was a coffee and pastry!

I used to love this place, but I'm now tempted not to go back simply because of poor service (which I've mentioned to the management) and a disimprovement in the quality of the food/coffee.

Am I just really unlucky when I go there or has this happened to anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

don't know about the service, but how about all that wine. my missus bought me a Pessac-Legnon 2000 from Greenacres, just great.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

patff wrote: »
    don't know about the service, but how about all that wine. my missus bought me a Pessac-Legnon 2000 from Greenacres, just great.

I don't drink much, so the quantity/quality of their wine collection is irrelevant to me. Good coffee and good service, is important, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I haven't been there in a few weeks, but have never had any problem there... and I have always found the staff nice and friendly - and great a recommending wines to go with our meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I don't know if it's a recent thing. I had dinner there over Christmas with some friends and the service was really poor. I had to take everyone's coat and hang them up as no one was offering to do so. I know it's not a deal breaker but I do think it is a sign of good service that waiting staff would offer to take your coat when you take it off. And then not even to step in when they saw that I was taking everyone else's coat, even though they were standing right beside me. There were a series of mix ups with the orders (on the waiter's part) which lead to one person getting their meal after everyone else had almost finished and then when we were leaving, after having retrieved our coats, I had to call good bye to the waitress who was standing over at the till polishing glasses as it didn't look as if she was going to acknowledge us leaving. Now I'd understand if she had been busy with other customers or something but she was standing in full view of our departure. I think it is basic courtesy to be greeted on arrival and departure. I certainly wouldn't be rushing back.

There is a red headed chap who I've seen work there, and when he is on the service is normally excellent. I recall when I was there last, the coffees took an age to arrive (15 mins) but he was upfront and apologetic and comped the cost.

Apart from the service, it is normally an excellent place to visit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement