Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will there be Money to spend this summer?

Options
  • 28-04-2010 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭

We have already started to hear a lot of transfer rumours flying around in recent days being linked with Luis Suarez the Ajax Captain and Micah Richards among others.

The question is though do you think will levy back Harry to spend in the summer we aren't too far shy of being a very good team and it's a bit of consistency especially away from home that has let us down.

But Levy has already come out and said there won't be huge money spent this summer but we could surely do with a rooney/Drogba/Torres to get us to that next level*

*By that I mean we have failed to score in 9 games this season thats 25% of them and we haven't won a single game 1-0 yet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I think a lot of it could hinge on our final place in the league. Get 4th, we'll have slightly more than finishing 5th or lower. I don't think we'll go mad, and in fairness I don't think we need to. We should sell Jenas and Keane, that should raise a few quid, and get a replacement striker and midfielder of the quality that will raise us to a slightly higher level next season. I can't imagine Levy, with us qualifying for the Champions League, won't take at least a little punt on us actually being able to do well in the competition and maintain our position next year.

I have to say I like the rumours of Bellamy though. I don't like the guy, but he's a great striker and if available I'd love him at Spurs instead of Keane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭golfball37

I really hope we get Altintop on a free from Bayern? What a fantastic player.

Have a feeling Modric is OT bound unfortunately, Harry will sell him to fund his raid for Bellamy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

golfball37 wrote: »
    Have a feeling Modric is OT bound unfortunately, Harry will sell him to fund his raid for Bellamy.
    As a United fan say it ain't so please :P
    With a price tag of 25 million, he'll give you lot some cash to spend.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Buying isnt really as big a priority as keeping what we have imo. Modric, Palacios and Bale will all have teams interested in them this summer, with City and Utd no doubt preparing some bids. Levy has to realise that if he ever wants Spurs to keep challenging, he needs to keep the players that allow us to challenge.

Saying that, i'd love a world class striker and midfielder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Keep everything we have is the priority.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

As a United fan say it ain't so please :P
    With a price tag of 25 million, he'll give you lot some cash to spend.

this story is all over the papers today. if he leaves then it will be a swap deal for carrick or berba id say. most likely carrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I could live with Carrick back and 15 or 20m for modric tbh.

Carrick and bellamy for modric would hardly be a disaster. I also have a feeling harry will go in for steven ireland, I can't stand the little gee bag but he would make a big big difference!

ziedth wrote: »
    I could live with Carrick back and 15 or 20m for modric tbh.
    This would be a terrible deal. Carrick isn't even as good as he was when he was at Spurs originally, and Modric is arguably one of the best midfielders in the league.

I always liked Carrick tbh,

Just living in the reality that if united or city or Chelsea wanted him I don't think anything could stop them.

Of course I'd love to live in a world where we'd tell them to get ****ed but without a 4th this year at least we won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 DJ Defoe

Kiith wrote: »
    Buying isnt really as big a priority as keeping what we have imo. Modric, Palacios and Bale will all have teams interested in them this summer, with City and Utd no doubt preparing some bids. Levy has to realise that if he ever wants Spurs to keep challenging, he needs to keep the players that allow us to challenge.

Agreed. We need to keep going in the right direction and not backwards! Remember we paid £15mill for Modric and i honestly think hes now worth double that. I couldn't or wouldn't even hazard a guess on what Bale has made himself worth!!

This is the first time in a long time that we dont need to sell our top players. However we need to get rid of players like Jenas, Bently and sadly Keano who IMHO was never the same player after Rafa finished with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

DJ Defoe wrote: »
    Agreed. We need to keep going in the right direction and not backwards! Remember we paid £15mill for Modric and i honestly think hes now worth double that. I couldn't or wouldn't even hazard a guess on what Bale has made himself worth!!

This is the first time in a long time that we dont need to sell our top players. However we need to get rid of players like Jenas, Bently and sadly Keano who IMHO was never the same player after Rafa finished with him.

agree with this. We have been a bit of a feeder club in the past few years, top players always being sold on. I just hope if we get 4th that this becomes a thing of the past. Shift the deadwood as you say and make 1 top class buy. CL should make us more attractive to a top player.

Other thing to note is we have a young team so there is real potential for us to push on with a lot of the current crop of players if we can keep them together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

i love modric but would not agree that he is worth anywhere near 30 million. to be worth that kind of money you have to score LOTS of goals from midfield. if modric is worth 30 mill and scores 2 goals a season then fabregas must be worth 100 million using that logic

id put 15 - 17 million on modric.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

In my opnion we need a more pacy right back, a quality striker, and decent cover for Gomes.

I think Jenas, Keane, Pav, Hutton, Dos Santos will definetly go and maybe Bentley if anyone will take him. I dont think he ever gives more than 60% of what he can do.

I dont know how I feel about Bellamy comming to WHL. His attitude and abality on the field is just what we need but I dont know if he would be difficult of the field.

Hopefully in the world cup Harry will pick up some good cheap players

I know I'm a slightly hypocritical but I'd take bellamy anyday over that steven Ireland.

I heard the whole west ham squad are up for sale, any cover there we could bring in?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

Keep what we have, make a call on the fringe players, and only buy players who will be better than those they replace. Too much turnover for the last ten years. No need for massive spending at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Harry came out today and just said he wasn't going buying and he was just going to be keeping the squad together

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Harry came out today and just said he wasn't going buying and he was just going to be keeping the squad together

And we're gonna take his word on this? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Talk this morning of the young lad Wickham from Ipswich. From what I have seen and heard of him, he looks like an excellent prospect. Could be a fee of around 5/6 million, and then loan him back for a season.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

So he is happy to keep Jenas, who can't get a game and keano who he loaned to Celtic. I don't think so Harry.

He will have to do a bit of housekeeping and get rid of some. This of course means bringing in some too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭SeanKev

Mullo76 wrote: »
    agree with this. We have been a bit of a feeder club in the past few years, top players always being sold on. I just hope if we get 4th that this becomes a thing of the past. Shift the deadwood as you say and make 1 top class buy. CL should make us more attractive to a top player.

Other thing to note is we have a young team so there is real potential for us to push on with a lot of the current crop of players if we can keep them together.

Shouldn't you beat City first, before you claim Champions League football will have an impact?

• Advertisement

If you re-read it mate i'm pretty sure he said IF we get 4th.

Don't worry though you obviously have a past of rushing into things haven't not chosen to support spurs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭golfball37

Worrying enough read here to be honest. Worth reading but long winded enough. I assume every business massages their books so we shouldn't be too concerned in that sense.

http://swissramble.blogspot.com/2010/03/are-tottenhams-results-too-good-to-be.html

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

golfball37 wrote: »
    Worrying enough read here to be honest. Worth reading but long winded enough. I assume every business massages their books so we shouldn't be too concerned in that sense.

http://swissramble.blogspot.com/2010/03/are-tottenhams-results-too-good-to-be.html

cheers for that - good article. Pretty much lays the bones of our financials out. I actually think we are in a pretty good state but the new stadium and increased revenue from it will be key. Bit of a chicken and egg issue though - need stadium to get revenue, need cash to build stadium - who will give us the cash without the revenue. Could hit the nail on the head when it says we are being primed for sale.

I just read that Harry will have £40kk to spend. It does not mention whether we have to sell to get that though:confused:

I just read that Harry will have £40kk to spend. It does not mention whether we have to sell to get that though:confused:

You read that in the Daily Mail :rolleyes:

I dont think Carrick is good enough tbh. Certainly not in his current form. Bellamy is a great player, but boy, what a total dickhead. And there's no way City will part with him for less then 20-25 million.

Kiith wrote: »
    You read that in the Daily Mail :rolleyes:

LOL i have never bought that paper ;) i read it on the BBC gossip page. It was linked to the Mail though so you still get Kudos :cool:

Advertisement