Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bloom 2010

Options
  • 28-04-2010 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭

www.bloominthepark.ie

Phoenix Park, Dublin
    June Bank Holiday
    Thu. 3 June - Mon. 7 June 2010

I know it's probably a bit early to start this thread but I have a few friends getting their gardens ready now, praying the plants won't flower to early, that they'll stay alive etc.

We can use this thread to chat about preparation, visits, purchases and any other comments/discussions about bloom 2010 .

Always worth a visit in my opinion.

Anyone here have a garden at bloom this year?

How are the preparations going?

Sorry it's all in bold, my laptop is experiencing technical problems!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

mine is in transitional mode at the moment, one spring bed is starting to die, another one is betwixt and between, while the cottage garden one is best not mentioned, :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

flutered wrote: »
    mine is in transitional mode at the moment, one spring bed is starting to die, another one is betwixt and between, while the cottage garden one is best not mentioned, :mad:

You see that is why I don't think I'd be brave enough to do an exhibition garden, well I know it's hard work just to get a garden.

I'd be a nervous wreck trying to mind all the plants. As I mentioned I've seem my friend's already praying and stressing.

Fair play to you though! Look forward to seeing your garden :)

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/BloomInthePark?v=wall

Hope this link works, up to date information and chat.

Photos from last year aswell.

2 tickets for the price of 1 if you pay 2 bills at the Post Office.

Details here: http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/Money+Matters/Billpay/Bloom+terms+and+conditions.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

didn't go last year, but did the year before. I think I might trip along though, see some of the gardens I aspire to having one day lol

• Advertisement

I think it is well worth the trip and if you can get any discount on entrance fee even better!

as far as I know the designers get their "bit of land" this saturday to start their garden build!

Best of luck to all the designers, hope the weather does what you want it to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

Was there last year and will be there again this year.

All designers got their sites last saturday and the planting has begun!

I can't wait I love seeing all the different gardens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

foxinsox wrote: »
    2 tickets for the price of 1 if you pay 2 bills at the Post Office.

Details here: http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/Money+Matters/Billpay/Bloom+terms+and+conditions.htm

If anyone is cash strapped with the recession I noticed the Irish gardeners forum is running a draw for 10 double passes to bloom.

Only a week to go!

I can't wait!
    I'd say today's rain is putting the pressure on the designers and raising the stress levels!
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

thinking of going too, will it be easy to get parking near by??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

What are the trade stands like?

I've worn my way through another pair of gardening gloves and I want to get something decent.

fryup wrote: »
    thinking of going too, will it be easy to get parking near by??

"parking nearby?"

Famous last words! :rolleyes:

I decided year before last that I would just park on the road and walk in, cheap as chips. I saw the signs for Bloom and parked near the zoo.

Then walked miles in blistering heat! Never again!

I can't remember last year whether I paid for parking but it was all well organised and no problems getting out, I left about 3pm.

Check out their website, I'm nearly sure most of the roads are coned so no free parking near the show! Check this though I'm not sure!

What are the trade stands like?

I've worn my way through another pair of gardening gloves and I want to get something decent.

There is a full guide to all stands in June's The Irish Garden Magazine.

By the way if you book tickets online you get €5 off €20 tickets.

If you book online and quote promo code IGM10 you get €7 off.

I've found that the stands are usually slightly more expensive than the shops, but there are some interesting and different plants. I'm not sure about gloves!

The food stands are fantastic and there is lots of talks going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭The Fool

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭mct1

Last year we were given complimentary tickets, so we were able to avoid the horrendous (approx 30 minute long) entrance queue on Sat morning.

Does anyone know if you buy your tickets online, does that mean you can avoid the ticket queue? It would be worth the extra few euro to us after a long drive up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Molls2010

I noticed alot of sites had competitions for free bloom tickets, as its now too late to answer, anyone have any idea where there might be some?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

mct1 wrote: »
    Last year we were given complimentary tickets, so we were able to avoid the horrendous (approx 30 minute long) entrance queue on Sat morning.

Does anyone know if you buy your tickets online, does that mean you can avoid the ticket queue? It would be worth the extra few euro to us after a long drive up.

You can buy your tickets online and print them out yourself, this should alleviate queuing

^^^^^^^^^

why is there a different entrance for pre-bought tickets??

Just read on the Bloom facebook page that there is a shuttle bus from Hueston Station up to the show!

I'm going Thursday so can't wait to see the gardens! :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

i take it this is ireland's answer to the chelsea flower show ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

I wouldn't call this Irelands answer to the Chelsea flower show. To me it is modeled on The BBC Gardeners World Live in Birmingham to be held on the week on June 14th
    Chelsea is for people who like Gardens - you can only buy seeds, bulbs and garden sundries- Alot of items are display only however there is a plant sell off on the Sunday afternoon. no Kids are allowed in Chelsea
    Gardeners world show is for Gardeners - you can by plants seeds, bulbs and garden sundries talk to top Gardeners etc. Gardeners world also has the Good Food and lifestyle and Country and Outdoors displays included.Kids are allowed

For this reason I would say it is more like the BBC Gardeners World Live

can someone please answer this- if i purchase pre-bought tickets online does that mean i get in quicker and avoid queueing up??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

^^^ I would agree with Lucylu analysis but would add that each year there is a clear and increasing emphasis on 'non-garden elements' eg in particular Food, which will dilute any aspirations of the event being compared to Chelsea.

Still Bloom is an exciting and interesting event and well worth visiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

fryup wrote: »
    can someone please answer this- if i purchase pre-bought tickets online does that mean i get in quicker and avoid queueing up??

I have gone for the last 3 years and was lucky to have my tickets in advance and yes, there was a different queue if you already had your ticket in your hand. We walked straight in, no queuing.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭mct1

Just realised that the Irish Times 2 for 1 coupon will save the two of us €11 on the online + Irish Garden offer price, so I guess for that it's worth queuing - recession and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭inigo

Are there any coupons in today's (Thursday) Irish Times?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I think this festival is more a mix of trades!
    Yes there is some gardening stuff but then there is so much non gardening stuff from cooking stuff to be able to buy jumpers at it or even colleges advertising all their courses at it.

The gardens are nice to look at, but i think this festival is really good if you kids as is a great day out for them with the small concerts on etc.
    Anyone going to this bring your own food or bring your cheque book otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mollzer

The gardens are nice to look at, but i think this festival is really good if you kids as is a great day out for them with the small concerts on etc.
    Anyone going to this bring your own food or bring your cheque book otherwise

I've been to Bloom the past 2 years and found it to be a great day out for myself, partner and 2 children.

Will be heading there again tommorow, picnic at the ready and a few bob for the kids to spend on their now annual Cacti purchase :)

Good luck to all the Gardeners with gardens on show this year, cant wait to pick up some ideas from the experts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I was there today, I heard someone giving out about the price of water. There are water taps so bring a bottle as it was verrrrrrrrrrry hot there today.

Advertisement